Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Traveling with an Infant

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Newt14

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:02 am    Post subject: Traveling with an Infant Reply with quote

I would like adivise from anyone who has traveled internationally with an infant. I am due at the end of September and by the time I finish my contract and go home the baby will most likely be under a month old. I will not be buying a seat for the baby, as don't have to according to Air Canada policy, this I assume is generally accepted by most airlines.

My main question is do I need to have a rear facing infant seat? I have been told that they do not use them here and have been unable to find one. I printed a picture and asked at work and i was told that usually the mother just holds the baby in the back seat when it is that young.

Any advise would be helpful, thank you.
tzechuk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy rear facing infant seats. We've got one. Bought ours on the internet (Korean site). If you are not going to be buying a seat for your baby, I'd say no because they'll provide you with a bassinet. You will have nowhere for the seat. Hope this helps.
Grotto

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twisted Evil also newborns fit quite snuggly into the overhead bins. Now before you go off on me it is sort of womb like.

Honestly though make sure you have some bottles for the infant to suck on...like chewing gum sucking helps equalize the preassure in thier ears which can be quite painful for little ones Wink
Hollywoodaction

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Traveling with an Infant Reply with quote

Newt14 wrote:
I would like adivise from anyone who has traveled internationally with an infant. I am due at the end of September and by the time I finish my contract and go home the baby will most likely be under a month old. I will not be buying a seat for the baby, as don't have to according to Air Canada policy, this I assume is generally accepted by most airlines.

My main question is do I need to have a rear facing infant seat? I have been told that they do not use them here and have been unable to find one. I printed a picture and asked at work and i was told that usually the mother just holds the baby in the back seat when it is that young.

Any advise would be helpful, thank you.

Back seat? In the car? That won't stop the baby from being injured in an accident.

Our son will be sitting in our lap on the plane (he's almost two). I think they provide the option of reserving an extra seat in Canada, but I'm not sure about international flights. Contact Air Canada. Better yet, have a look at their website.
kelly

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most airlines charge a minimum 10% fee for children under two whether they are sitting in their parents lap or not. Also at one month old you would be so much better to make sure that the airline provides a bassinet so that the baby can sleep comfortably, both for your sake and the babys. You can pick up the seats online, at most baby stores and also on ebay. Please don't take the advice of the Korean moms and put your baby in a car seat, with the way they drive in this country you don't want to take any risks.
Confused Canadian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife and I traveled with our (at the time) 9-month old son this past summer. He was actually a "tad" over on the height and weight restrictions for the bassinet, but the stewardess agreed to give it to us as long as we took full responsibility for our actions. We readily agreed. Very Happy

The bassinet was a lifesaver! Your 1 month old will still be sleeping most of the time, so a bassinet for him/her will make your life much, much easier. I'd definitely recommend a bassinet for anyone traveling with an infant under 8-9 months old.

And yes, we had to pay 10% of the fare for our son. It differs from airline to airline, but 10% is quite common.

As for the rear facing car seat...yes, you can find them in Korea, quite easily. Most of the major department stores sell them, and they are readily available on-line. Not sure about using a car seat on a plane, even if you did buy an extra seat...never seen it done before.

Good luck, and congrats on your soon-to-arrive bundle of joy!

Confused Canadian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: