Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Antidepressants?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scattydove

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just posted a question related to depression and anti-depressants in another part of the forum...I should have really looked on here first. I am worried that the fact I have a history of depression will stop me getting a visa to work in Korea. I am still on Citalopram but it is the lowest possible dose. If I am reading people's posts on here talking about anti-depressants and how to obtain them in Korea, am I right in thinking that it IS possible to still get a visa if you are being treated? I hope to be off the meds by next year anyway (have been symptom free for a looong time now) but one can never tell.
b0101

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antidepressants are available here, and they are generally cheap with insurance and easy for a doctor to prescribe them. Don't ask your school about finding a doctor, ask a friend or someone not associated with the school. Many times family doctors will prescribe them. HOWEVER, I would not mention to a recruiter or to your school that you are taking them. Check no on all of the health questionairres in regards to mental health questions. Many Koreans and immigration consider any mention of mental illness an automatic no. I have heard of cases where people who stated they were treated in the past, they got the visa but had to provide a doctor's note stating that they were now healthy and stable (and this note went to their employer and immigration). Even if you can get that note, I doubt you want to start your job with your employer aware of that.

I hate to recommend lying...but for people who have these issues and want to work here, there's not much choice.
locodito1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:15 am    Post subject: medication (antidepressants) and customs Reply with quote

I have a follow up question. I will be teaching next year and am currently on antidepressants. I'm wondering if anyone has had issues getting their antidepressants through customs? I read on the US state department website that they recommend bringing a letter from your doctor for each Rx, but I'm worried that if I do that and show them, that they might report it to my employer. Has anyone had trouble with this? Do you recommend reporting it on a form when you get there or just not mention it and hope they don't find the pills? Also, would it be better to have my mom send me the pills instead of going through customs? Please help!
RainbowBrite412

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Pyschiatry in South Korea Reply with quote

Is there anyone who has gone to South Korea with prescription medications from US and were able to get them there? I take an antidepressant and a tricyclant and been on same medication for almost 10 years, totally stable but I know I would be discriminated against if my employer found out. Can they test to see if this medication is in my bloodstream? If I went to see a psychiatrist to get medication would my employer find out and fire me? I could bring a 3-month supply withe me and find a doctor there, or perhaps I should just order them from US and avoid seeing any doctor. Please advise!! Thank you Smile
liveinkorea316

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are on anti-depressants you just need to not tell anyone about it.

When you come in at the airport they only very rarely check your bags these days and you do not have to declare prescription meds on the arrival card (only illicit drugs).

You should pass the drug tests as they are not looking for anti-depressant medication. They are looking only for Hard drugs like LCD, PCP, Marajuana, Heroin, Cocaine. Etc.. Of course you will need to check that your medication does not give false positives or is a derivtive of such najor bad drugs but as far as I know SSRI's are not detected at all.

When you get here make sure you tell no-one in your local area or workplace you take medication. Ever.

You can find a doctor in Seoul far away and tell them as little as posdsible about where you work. They should keep your confidentiality.
paulandsilas

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was on Paxil for a few months, but my recruiter told me that I needed to get off the medication because that would make the people at the school nervous and have issues with my anxiety/depression. I only needed the prescrip. for a few months anyways. So, about three or four weeks before I left, I got of the meds. Other people have told me that if I mentioned that I had taken or was taking antidepressants that I would get declined from an E-2. I don't know how true that is, but it gave me the don't ask/don't tell impression.
clustered

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulandsilas wrote:
I was on Paxil for a few months, but my recruiter told me that I needed to get off the medication because that would make the people at the school nervous and have issues with my anxiety/depression. I only needed the prescrip. for a few months anyways. So, about three or four weeks before I left, I got of the meds. Other people have told me that if I mentioned that I had taken or was taking antidepressants that I would get declined from an E-2. I don't know how true that is, but it gave me the don't ask/don't tell impression.

Yes, you would get refused, as I did. My first E2 was cancelled and my second application was rejected. Keep it on the DL.

Does anyone know the cheapest way to get medication without insurance? I won't be getting insurance for another 1.5 months but my meds will run out by then. Should I go to a Korean psychiatrist? Does anyone have current details of a Korean psychiatrist (and any who can speak English)?

Ok I found the details of another English-speaking psychiatrist in the Seoul area.

I called the 24-hour Medical Referral Service by calling 010-4769-8212 (or 010-8750-8212 is the other number). This is what they had.

02 2001 1100 - Dr Im (there is more than one psychiatrist here).
Kangbuk Samsung Medical Centre
So I went there and you need to go to Seodaemun station (line 5) - take exit 4 - walk 5 mins - you'll see the red cross hospital on your left, then you keep walking. You'll see KBSMC Emergency sign and just walk up there, go through the driveway to the main desks. Find someone who speaks English (bit of a hassle, get there early) and pay for it upfront. Then you need to go to the 3rd floor and find the psychiatric area (again, need to find English-speaker). Then you're with Dr Im. Nice guy, pretty good English (though he will tell you he's a little insecure about it, he's actually pretty good).
It's only 21 950 won for a consultation!

They give a prescription and you go to the chemist, rather than dishing them out at the psychistrist's.

However MAKE SURE you take a certification of diagnosis with you from your old doctor. I went in there with old medication but it wasn't good enough. I took in three different types of meds and he wouldn't give me the prescription for any of them.

Also you can call 1330 to find Korean psychiatrists.

The other psychiatrist they had listed was at the Itaewon International Clinic but you already have those details. Smile
rach123

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: drug test Reply with quote

I am taking citalopram and seroquel. Should I stop taking them a week before the drug test? Should I disclose if asked about prescriptions?
clustered

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: drug test Reply with quote

rach123 wrote:
I am taking citalopram and seroquel. Should I stop taking them a week before the drug test? Should I disclose if asked about prescriptions?

As far as I know, the drug test only tests for illicit drugs and not prescription drugs that are legal in Korea.

I'm taking Methyphenidate, Aripiprazole and Effexor and Venlafaxine and my psychiatrist in Korea said there would be no problem. I had the test about 3 months ago and there was indeed no problem.

Don't ever disclose to anyone about your meds - you will likely lose your job, have your visa cancelled. It's happened to me personally. Anymore questions you're welcome to PM!
clustered

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also want to add that I used to take Dexamphetamine in my home country, and that that probably would've come up in the test - as it's illegal in Korea. I switched to Methyphenidate though so it's ok.

My friend used an amphetamine-based med for his ADD but was somehow able to get it into and use it in the country. I'm not sure how. But anyway, he decided to be upfront about his meds, and through some ordeals with his employer wanting to take him to court and mess him around because of it, he kept his job in Korea. He decided to be upfront with the hospital on the test because he knew it would show up. Anyway he's still working here so I guess there's no problem but in Korea, people are very backwards and assuming re meds so I would suggest to keep it a secret and not tell anyone but the people you absolutely trust.
Frapplo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is a relief to read. I was prescribed paxil for anxiety and, though I'm off, was worried it would somehow turn up in the drug test and I'd lose my job. I worked too hard for that to happen.
joelnesmith

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could Effexor affect a simple urine-based test? I had some problems with my first one about 2 years ago and just assumed that was the problem. I had it redone after 3 days off but it was hell, and I have to get another soon. Any ideas?
The Floating World

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joelnesmith wrote:
Could Effexor affect a simple urine-based test? I had some problems with my first one about 2 years ago and just assumed that was the problem. I had it redone after 3 days off but it was hell, and I have to get another soon. Any ideas?

They ARE NOT looking for legal prescription drugs, so they wont even test for effexor.
aieshaapple

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am prescribed ADD meds but haven't taken them for awhile as the pharmacies have been out of it. Anyway, how long should one stay off those types of medicines so they didn't show in the drug test. I understand from reading above that Methyphenidate won't show? Is that not a generic for ritalin? I thought that was amphetamine based. I am a little clueless I guess. I'd PM the above poster but I haven't submitted 25 posts yet :S
halophex

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Floating World wrote:
joelnesmith wrote:

They ARE NOT looking for legal prescription drugs, so they wont even test for effexor.

Disinformative posts like the above make me cringe.

True, basic drug tests only look for a few specific illegal drugs. But many prescriptions drugs can show up as false-positives. From personal experience, I know that Wellbutrin can show up as an amphetamine. I've heard that Prozac can do the same. I stress the word can.

If you're worried, do an extensive google search about false positives and your specific prescription, then weigh the risks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: