Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Leading cause of death?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtlepi1

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Leading cause of death? Reply with quote

So as some of you know I ended up on this grassroots enviro "mentals" list (I would unsubscribe but it keeps me updated on my home town) Rolling Eyes . I sometimes post the stranger items here. (Remember these people get govt funding.) Anyway, not to make light of the people who have died, but does anyone know were you can find a list of say the top 100 things that kill people in a particular city? (27 people total in 10 years in a city of 2-4 million doesn't seem like a leading cause of death)

Quote:
Let's do this in xxx!I suggest we wear black. Let's meet at 7 p.m. at the Grand Parade. What do others think? Will anyone join me? Should we send out a press release?
-xxxxxxx

---------

INTERNATIONAL RIDE OF SILENCE: 7:00PM, MAY 18th

"On May 18, the Ride of Silence will roll across the country, starting at 7:00 PM.

In Toronto, the ride begins at the southeast corner of Bloor St and Spadina Ave. In more than 50 cities in the U.S. and Canada, cyclists will take to the roads in a silent procession to honour cyclists who have been killed or injured while cycling on public roadways. Although cyclists have a legal right to share the road with motorists, the motoring public often isn't aware of these rights, and sometimes not aware of the cyclists themselves. Chris Phelan organized the first Ride Of Silence in Dallas last May after endurance cyclist Larry Schwartz was hit by the mirror of a passing bus and was killed. Toronto cyclists will be remembering the tragic loss of Galen Kuellmer alittle over year ago along with the other 26 cyclists killed in Toronto since 1996.

"The Ride Of Silence is a free ride that asks its cyclists to ride no faster than 12 km/h and remain silent during the ride. There is no brochure, no sponsors, no registration fees and no t-shirt. The ride, which is being held during Bike Safety month, aims to raise the awareness of motorists, police and city officials that cyclists have a legal right to the public roadways. The ride is also a chance to show respect for those who have been killed or injured..."
Cthulhu

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a bit odd.

Anyone who has seen a bike courier or hardcore urban cyclist going at it in a dense urban setting would quickly understand why cyclists sometimes get killed. From my own experience driving in downtown Toronto I find it hard to be sympathetic at times--their aggressive cycling is as much to blame for accidents as cars and other vehicles.

Quote:
"The Ride Of Silence is a free ride that asks its cyclists to ride no faster than 12 km/h and remain silent during the ride.

Y'know, if they didn't ride faster than 12 km/h normally and obeyed the rules more often they might get killed even less often. Confused

Again, this is not all cyclists, but ones of a certain stripe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: