Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korean Air
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Free World

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:21 am    Post subject: Korean Air Reply with quote

Does anyone have experience with Korea Air? I can't seem to find out the luggage restrictions (weight or size). Any help would be appreciated.
just because

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

International
20 kilograms baggage check-in

8-10 kilograms carry-on.

However you can get away with a bit more than this but make sure you show up early.
Don't roll up with 30 kilos though(I have got away with 32 kilos on Japan Air before ...but my friend got busted for 23 kilos another time).
mindmetoo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All in all though don't cheap out on checked luggage. An extra bag over the limit might cost you an extra $50. Odds are what you have in that suitcase are worth a lot more than $50 and will cost a lot more to buy in Korea.
Free World

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much, that was very helpful!
Have a good night.
just because

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mindmetoo wrote:
An extra bag over the limit might cost you an extra $50

That information is very incorrect.

It will cost you approximately 50 PER KILO depending on the airline.

British Airways charged 258 dollars for 4.5 kilos over a couple years ago.

This from the qantas(Australian airline) website. most airlines follow a similar policy.
http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying/beforeYouTravel/baggageAddCollection
Swiss James

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I've always found excess baggage to be pretty damn expensive, they seem to treat it as equivalent to you airmailing the extra stuff
Koreabound2004

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my friend and I came via Korean air, one of our suitcases was 36kg, and the other was 38kg. We knew we were way over limit, but we were super nice to the guy at the counter, and I think it made all the difference b/c he didn't charge us extra, just slapped a "Heavy" tag on it...and told us to be more careful coming back. Also, they did not weigh our carry on bags at all, so you can probably get away with having a heavier carry-on.

You are allowed 2 bags/cases, and each one cannot weight more than 32kg if you are travelling from Canada.

From the Korean Air site:

http://www.koreanair.com/local/na/eng/gd/is/gi/is_baggage_new.htm

Other folks were told to leave stuff behind or shuffle their stuff into less heavier bags/suitcases...and some did have to pay extra.

Also, a word of advice when flying with them...bring some drinking water(very dry on the flight, and the servers avoided us like the plague). Also, don't dress too warmly, flight was very stuffy, and I felt like I couldn't breathe for a lot of the flight. You may also want to bring some snacks, food wasn't so hot.
Free World

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, I heard that if you were over the limit it was cheaper to send stuff that was not needed right away through Canada post. Have you found this?
Koreabound2004

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free World wrote:
Ya, I heard that if you were over the limit it was cheaper to send stuff that was not needed right away through Canada post. Have you found this?

I don't find Canada post to be very cheap...even if you send by surface(boat).

Just make good use of both suitcases, and make sure you bring the max. limit.....I brought way too many clothes and toiletries...and most of the K-teachers here wear the same thing day in and day out, so don't worry about fashion so much. And many of the toiletries I brought, I didn't need. Lots of things you will bring you will see that you can find here...The most important things for me are books and photos from home.
trevorcollins

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To and from Canada are different to the rest of the world. Generally works out if you're going to those places you can pack about twice as much.
Actually last time I flew Korean Air to Australia it had a baggage allowance of 24kg marked on the ticket, so it may be a little higher on that airline than some others.
Freezer Burn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend and I flew from Brisbane Australia last month, my bag weighed 25kgs, and the allowance was up to 30kgs.
Free World

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for all of the info and advice! It helps a lot. I really appreciate the water and snack tip because I am flying direct from Toronto to Seoul so I couldn't stock up during a transfer. That is a long haul to be thirsty.
just because

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freezer Burn wrote:
My friend and I flew from Brisbane Australia last month, my bag weighed 25kgs, and the allowance was up to 30kgs

Which airline was this.

I'm flying out of Brisbane next month as I'm here on holidays and I'm already going to be way over by 20 kg weight limit.

I've flown out of Brisbane Airport at least 25 times and the most I've ever been allowed was 20 kilos....

Were you on a first class ticket because then it is 30 kilos.
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try contacting Korean air and pleading your case for more room. Singapore and Thai have given me an extra allowance because I was moving overseas.

However some airlines use being over weight as an excuse to charge ludicrous amounts. Air New Zealand pinged me an extra $200 for being just 5kg over the 20kg limit.

As for carry ons it depends on who is policing sometimes the airlines are strick sometimes not. I got told to get rid of some stuff when I went through one checkpoint. So I just go in queue at another guard and I started crying to the middle aged women women who was checking the carry on stuff and she just flagged me through. (sometimes it's good to be a women)
Swiss James

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of it is down to the checkin agent, sometimes they'll let you off because they're in a good mood, or you don't have much hand luggage, or the flight is only half-full, or you're pretty skinny anyway or blah blah...there's a lot of luck involved.
The one thing you have to remember is that you can't complain if you get stung for the excess just because you've heard an annecdote about someone who got away with even more, and whilst you might get away with being 6 Kg over the limit, if they arbitrarily decide to pull you up for being 7Kg over, you pay for each one of those 7 Kgs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: