Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Global Warming takes another thrashing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rapier

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Since when have all my points not been backed up by science???. I seem to remember posting plenty of links to scientific reports, journals and papers.
You, on the other hand, simply posted a lot of your own marker pen doodles. Oh yes- one link to some speculative comments in Nat. geographic- which were discredited in the same article.

Note: Wacky speculative unproven hypotheses from disgruntled minority individuals do not constitute "SCIENCE".
funplanet

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bollocks....who cares, man will adapt and all will be just fine....

amazing how some people live in such fear all the time...they must be nervous wrecks...
Nowhere Man

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 5:39 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Quote:
Last time I played that card you suddenly went silent. Will you be joining the science coversation this time or will your silence greet us yet again? Come sit at the big kids' table if you think you can handle it. And that means you can't try to distort what the facts say and what others say. Scarecrow arguments are not allowed because that's not science talk, which sadly is your primary fallback style. If you say anything else other than what would fall under a science conversation, I will quote it and ask why you are hiding and cowering away in a corner away from the big bad science talk.

Big words coming from someone who took a multi-month hiatus from this board after his own article contradicted his own statements. You like to play cards? I'm playing the "linguistics-only" card. Did your own article contradict you?

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/korea/viewtopic.php?p=439482&highlight=#439482

Answer that before you go on attacking people.
Gord

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: ... Reply with quote

Nowhere Man wrote:
Big words coming from someone who took a multi-month hiatus from this board after his own article contradicted his own statements. You like to play cards? I'm playing the "linguistics-only" card. Did your own article contradict you?

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/korea/viewtopic.php?p=439482&highlight=#439482

Answer that before you go on attacking people.

And just where was I contradicted by my own statements? Sure, I don't mind going back to old threads. I remember that train wreck. I posted a lot of facts and drew some nice pictures, Rapier kept incorrectly quoting me and played his "don't you care about the environment" line when he was caught in a lie/mistake a half dozen times where I had to kept pulling him back to the debate, Grotto had his ass handed to him for his cheerleading efforts with the most spectacular mistake being that he thought carbon dioxide was white and you joined in with some cheering exercise.

Sure. Tomorrow after I get back from the Seoul car show I'll rejoin the discussion. Though there is a serious lack of any actual science by anyone except me after I ordered the conversation to be science only. Not sure what I can say that hasn't already been said, but I'm sure I can think of something.
Gord

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rapier wrote:
-Since when have all my points not been backed up by science???. I seem to remember posting plenty of links to scientific reports, journals and papers.

No, you posted to unsupported reported claims and college term papers. Seriously. I laughed for days, perhaps weeks, over the first time you said "look at this government scientific report!" which was a college essay. The second time you did it, I cried for you.

Quote:
You, on the other hand, simply posted a lot of your own marker pen doodles. Oh yes- one link to some speculative comments in Nat. geographic- which were discredited in the same article.

I love how continue to focus onto what you feel is my one weakness, and all that one weakness was an idea I noted that someone suggested once. Rock on! How many different environmental points have we discussed? How many times have I shown you know shockingly little given your affection for the subject and how many times I've shown that most of what you claim is wrong or refuted your claims that my claims were in error? Yet here we are, months after, where you still focus on the one weakness you think you found. The Rapier Railroad has one track and the train runs on schedule!

Even your last article you quoted, you didn't actually read. It doesn't say anything other than "temperatures are rising very slowly. Exactly why? Can't say."
Nowhere Man

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Note the preparations here:

Gord changes the article HE POSTED to "his statements".

Then he notes that he "established" the rules: "science-only".

Yeah right.

Smell the weasel.

Enjoy the car show. Then there will be a lot of squirming and doublespeak.

You've had almost five months to produce a response, then you accuse others of skulking.

Hypocrite.
Gord

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: ... Reply with quote

Nowhere Man wrote:
Note the preparations here:

Gord changes the article HE POSTED to "his statements".

Then he notes that he "established" the rules: "science-only".

Rapier was claiming things like "the rain forest creates rain!" While forgetting that it's a heavily closed air system, the temperature isn't high enough to meet the evaporation rate required. It's a pretty simple formula to figure out what the temperature must be for X amount of water to evaporate in Y amount of time. And no "rain forests are the lungs of the world" when the reality is that they are practically useless as a carbon sink. Or Grotto's "the smoke is carbon dioxide!" when failing to remember that carbon dioxide is a transparent gas. Things claimed had to be easily backed up, or could not be easily disproven with simple formulas.

Quote:
Yeah right.

Smell the weasel.

Enjoy the car show. Then there will be a lot of squirming and doublespeak.

You've had almost five months to produce a response, then you accuse others of skulking.

Hypocrite.

I was involved in a number of threads when I stopped posting in December when I stopped because I was working six days a week, fourteen hours a day. The only reason I came back here again after not posting for a few months was because Grotto went on a huge rant that was almost entirely wrong which I was asked by people to correct and prevent people from accidentally believing his lies and being fired. The thread was deleted here (a copy is on Expats) and thankfully he no longer gives his incorrect legal advice in relation to jobs anymore, or at least not in public.

I didn't rejoin that thread or any of the other fifty threads I was involved in. And that is very different than still posting in the forum elsewhere and just ignoring a still active thread, or skipping the context of the debate to only deliver insults or recycle discredited material.

I think I've been pretty damn polite in chatting with you. I would kindly ask that you end the kiddy-grade insults towards me. Personally, I don't care if you insult me on an Internet forum. It's not as though it's some new experience. But it would probably improve your standing in the eyes of others if you didn't always try tossing such poor insults at me. We all know that I am better at the insult and hurting-feelings game than you, and I don't want to play the game with you.
Apple Scruff

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look around - we're in Korea! This place is living proof of the damage human beings have done to the planet.
funplanet

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right on the mark with that one, Scruff....my student's are writing essays on the environment now and they all have written about how dirty and trashy Korea is. Problem is, they think the rest of the world is like this (ever been to Switzerland, Singapore, Austria, parts of US, Canada, and hundreds of other places???) poor kids realize they live in a dump and they all lament the fact that their government won't do anything about it...

they think having to walk over thousands of flyers on the ground, cars swamped with ads for whores, trash piles on the sidewalks, people spitting, people peeing, brown air, views of concrete jungles outside their windows, trash filled canals, and the list goes on, is normal for the rest of the world... Shocked

poor kids
rapier

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The links i've already posted (and which gord hasn't bothered to read, of course) already prove my assertions:

1) Global warming exists

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-1489955,00.html

2) Global warming is human-induced.

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines05/0219-01.htm
(-this is an article from the independent. Not commondreams.)

http://www.mng.org.uk/green_house/threat/threat6.htm

3) Global warming is already creating serious changes to our environment, and will continue to do so on an accelerating scale due to human unwillingness to tackle the problem.

(see my vanished glacier pictures and article earlier. Gord, do you think those photos of the vanished glacier were faked? If not, why do you think a centuries-old glacier would melt in the space of a few decades, and the ecosystem/wildlife of the area completely change/vanish with it?)

No more waffle. respond to the links.

Last edited by rapier on Thu May 05, 2005 8:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Nowhere Man

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 8:11 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Quote:
I think I've been pretty damn polite in chatting with you. I would kindly ask that you end the kiddy-grade insults towards me. Personally, I don't care if you insult me on an Internet forum. It's not as though it's some new experience. But it would probably improve your standing in the eyes of others if you didn't always try tossing such poor insults at me. We all know that I am better at the insult and hurting-feelings game than you, and I don't want to play the game with you.

And that sounds like a threat, but not very different from your other posts where people disagree with you. They tend to be (or are habitually) insulting. You try to stifle debate to your own self-indulgence.

It's ok for you to correct someone's spelling, but they better not correct yours. That's hypocritical.

How was the car show? You didn't re-enter that discussion.
Apple Scruff

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am truly, genuinely concerned about some of you people. How do you go about your daily lives? Do you strap on a blind-fold and a set of earphones before you head out the door every day, happily plodding along with Toby Keith while the rest of us peel the dead skin from the atomic sunburn on our necks? "I haven't seen anything happen myself, so it must not be true," is officially the the most ignorant thing that anyone can say about anything, let alone global warming. Get a fucking clue.

funplanet wrote:
bollocks....who cares, man will adapt and all will be just fine....

amazing how some people live in such fear all the time...they must be nervous wrecks...

Seems to me that anyone who chooses to ignore global warming is living in fear. But think about how much better off the planet would be if we were all a little bit more afraid of global warming, instead of being scared out of our wits over the Ay-rabs next door.

Cripes, as I write this there's a report on the news about the worldwide epidemic of skin cancer. Those holes in the ozone didn't just pop up during mankind's mass industrialization of the planet by coincidence. Bloody nitwits.
Gord

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: ... Reply with quote

Nowhere Man wrote:
And that sounds like a threat, but not very different from your other posts where people disagree with you. They tend to be (or are habitually) insulting. You try to stifle debate to your own self-indulgence.

It's ok for you to correct someone's spelling, but they better not correct yours. That's hypocritical.

I'm saying that I am being polite, you've agreed that I am being polite, and yet you still continue to play word games and context changes.

Example: I didn't say "you can't spell" because I was of an opinion which could not be defended or because I just wanted to further laugh at Rapier. I did it because he pulled my name out of a hat at random to insult me while making himself look the hero and that if he is going to pull my name out of a hat at random to insult me, at least spell the insult correctly. Same deal with spelling my name properly, it's just something one should do when throwing the first unprovoked insult in a converation where I wasn't even posting. I didn't bother insult him the first four times he spelled the word wrong or mention any of his other mistakes he makes with great frequency, nor do I generally attack others for kicks. Plus I have agreed that my spelling and grammar are horrid affairs long before you brought it up.

Example 2: Attacking me for saying that I "didn't ask for more evidence!" in the other thread. You're right, you got me. What I did say was "there is no evidence" which means the same thing as "where is the evidence?" after reading all that is available to be offered and evidence wasn't shown. You'd have a case if we were talking about claims made before anything was presented, but since the context is of comments made after everything is shown they mean the same thing.

Example 3: Here. You're spinning my polite post asking you to cease your insults at me because I'm not interested in doing a "flame-war" with you into a threat. It's not as though I've started something and want out, rather I'm saying I won't be dragged in so please stop.

Honestly, nothing you could say would hurt my feelings and people much better than you have tried. Some of the stuff I've received was the result of days of labour and actually pretty good. The insults from you here are on a one-way street while being of fairly poor quality and entirely dependant on contextual changes of my words. Children change people's words to make insults and generally stop once they hit 12. It's just not a respected flame style and your use of it only drags down people's opinion of you. Plus people wonder if you really are interested in a discussion about facts and science, or if you simply you want to use harsh language to make me cry.

As for the "who is better at insults" game, everyone knows that I am far better than you. No posts about how great your "flame wars" are and ask you to do more of them. No one thinks "wow, Nowhere Man is a great writer when the flame-war begins, I hope he posts more!" Just because I am better at it than you doesn't mean I want to spend some time whipping up one an insult ladden post which would sting for weeks on end and generate dozens of replies that state how foolish it was of you to write insult cheques your wit couldn't cash as I really do keep busy with other projects.

Now, can we stop the insults and chat like men? I've agreed to disagree with countless numbers of people while discussing opinions, facts and science, I'm sure that we can do that too.

Quote:
How was the car show? You didn't re-enter that discussion.

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/korea/viewtopic.php?p=538422#538422

I did it for you, baby! I did it for you!
rapier

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: ... Reply with quote

Gord wrote:
he pulled my name out of a hat at random to insult me while making himself look the hero and that if he is going to pull my name out of a hat at random to insult me, at least spell the insult correctly. !

T I T

Is that better?
rapier

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melting mountains and extreme pressures on the environment: take a look at these amazing pictures from NASA's "eye on the earth" project.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6903014

and

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6981409/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: