Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canada in the house!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Little Canadian, why did you come here?
Running from my student loan
15%
 15%  [ 10 ]
Seeing the world
27%
 27%  [ 18 ]
No jobs back home
15%
 15%  [ 10 ]
I always wanted to be a teacher
9%
 9%  [ 6 ]
All of the above
15%
 15%  [ 10 ]
none of the above
16%
 16%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 65

william beckerson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 10:44 pm    Post subject: Canada in the house! Reply with quote

You know, that Big Bill guy called all Canadians economic refugees here in Korea. Not that I think he's too far off (I'm from Nova Scotia. Where am I going to earn CD$2500 for 30 hours of work there?) but it got me thinking.... and that's an unusual thing.

Just how many Canucks are there here in Korea? And where are you from? Pipe up!

Me- Lr Sackville, Halifax, Nova Scotia
Hotuk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Running from my student loan"? Hah! I'm here because I'm paying my student loan. You missed an option: "Can't afford to live in Canada anymore". That'd be me. Once the transmission went in my Hyundai Sonata, I had to get out of there.

I'm also from Halifax. There are swarms of us here. Five years ago we Nova Scotians used to have parties on a rooftop in northern Seoul - about 40 of us would attend. Someone would always bring beer with photocopies of Keiths labels pasted over the bottles - seemed to help fight homesickness.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came to experience more of asia and pay my student loans. My major is Asian Studies. I am staying because I can live comfortably and save cdn$15,000 per year. In august I will be moving into a 32pyoung apartment all my money.

And I do not teach privates.
khyber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm from vancouver.
I just came because.

are only canadians, "economic refugees"? what about user, ozers nzers or engers, irers, scoters, or SAers?

i got an email from a Brazillian Professor who was looking to come here and work b/c his economy is bad.
Tancred

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i came here to see the country and to run from my loan, which is ludicrously high, and which i have no intention of paying at this point...just biding time until i can legally declare bankruptcy (a propos, i've already given $15,000 towards it, and the reason i'm doing this is now out of principal due to the egregious circumstances with the collection agencies...i won't go into them here to spare you all the nightmarish details)

anyway, i find it interesting that there are some people who can't find jobs in canada...i lived in Toronto and it was bursting with employment opportunities...granted, nothing too lucrative but certainly above the McDonald's level.

Anyway, that's all i have to say....good poll.
taejonguy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 5:24 pm    Post subject: Bankruptcy and student loans in Canada Reply with quote

You do realize that the laws have been changed and your loans will follow you even AFTER you file for bankruptcy? These laws were changed a few years ago in Canada to stop the high numbers of filings by graduates who where unable or unwilling to pay the amount owed. The simply tag your social insurance number and when you get paid, file for health insurance, pay taxes, etc. move in and ask for restituition....

Good luck!
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it can't all be bad. after all, if you ask americans, we just think its cool that canadians can start drinking at 18, and in canada, it doesn't cost $90 for a doctor to prescribe you tylenol Rolling Eyes
taejonguy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it can't all be bad. after all, if you ask americans, we just think its cool that canadians can start drinking at 18,
Laughing

And now we know my my loan was so HUGE! There was always something...uplifting about saying tax dollars were buying the next round!
Of course my perspective changed when I ACTUALLY had to pay it all back!! Shocked
william beckerson

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got fired from my last job right after the hiring season ended in September. That was a deliberate ploy on the part of my boss to force me to leave the country so I couldnt tell everyone how Swaton, Oksu branch breached my contract. What they didnt know is that my best friend here in Korea let me live with him until I got my current job.

Anyway, duringb those three months of unemployment, I got nothing but threats from the Royal Bank about not paying back my loan, and they wern't interested in my being unemployed in a foreign country.

Eventually I realized that they couldnt touch me here and I decided they can wait until I have the money to give them. I have yet to contact them again. It was illegal and immoral, but I didnt have much choice.

As for bankruptcy: You can declare it. While it doesnt wipe out your student loan, it does freeze it for the next five years. Five years that they dont get any interest or payments from you.

Quote:
You missed an option: "Can't afford to live in Canada anymore"

Thats true. I'm usually owing more money than I'm taking home in Canada. It's an over-taxed crap-pile there.
Tancred

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Bankruptcy and student loans in Canada Reply with quote

[quote="taejonguy"]You do realize that the laws have been changed and your loans will follow you even AFTER you file for bankruptcy? These laws were changed a few years ago in Canada to stop the high numbers of filings by graduates who where unable or unwilling to pay the amount owed. [quote]

yes yes...i know that, but after 10 years the loans ARE covered by bankruptcy, hence my hiding out in korea....only 4 more years to go...in fact the Canadian federation of students appealed this as contradicting the Charter of Rights and you may be able to declare bankruptcy sooner. I know it's kind of sad that i'm planning my life around declaring bankruptcy, but it's a pretty big loan, and furthermore money and credit really isn't that important to me...

anyway, that's all...
taejonguy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
after 10 years the loans ARE covered by bankruptcy

Where did you find this information? I am not disputing it but it goes against what a lawyer friend of mine and my account have told me. I would like to correct them if they are wrong. Is there a website where this is stated?

Thanks and good luck...Banks are the SCUM of the earth!
paul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came here because the jobs in my field (journalism) were few and far between for my level of experience, and suddenly I needed 100 years of experience and three separate degrees in unrelated fields just to get an interview at some bumhole newspaper.
Plus, seeing Asia was a good reason. Having said that, the main things here are so inexpensive and the money is so good, how could anyone in their right mind go back to Canada (Vancouver) permanently?
Oh and one more thing: The women here are absolutely gorgeous, funny, sexy and such a breath of fresh air compared to North American women.
Hotuk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The women here are absolutely gorgeous, funny, sexy and such a breath of fresh air compared to North American women.

This may sound strange coming from a guy who's married to a Korean, but I'm going to rise to the defence of Western women. I certainly know (and dated) North American women who could be easily described as "absolutely gorgeous, funny, sexy and such a breath of fresh air".

Chacun son gout. Smile
half_pint

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 11:43 pm    Post subject: Here to see the world Reply with quote

I left a pretty decent job in Toronto to come here - I mean, I wasn't starving back at home.....but I couldn't afford to just take a bunch of time off to travel, and I didn't want to get "stuck". I mean, I didn't want to wake up one day and realize that Montreal is as far away from home as I've ever been and now it's too late. So here I am!

And yes, working here will get that massaive student loan paid off a little faster - but I'm not running away from it.

I'm still waiting for that rich relative I don't know about to appear out of nowhere and pay it off for me! Laughing
half_pint

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 11:45 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Hotuk, thanks for your defence of North American women......we aren't all horrible creatures! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: