Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korea University apologizes...to Lee Kun Hee
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Intrepid

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Korea University apologizes...to Lee Kun Hee Reply with quote

Did anyone else think Korea Univ should have apologized to the students? Conscience of the COnfucian nation and all?
Infoseeker

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you give us more background Intrepid? I don't actually know what you are talking about.
Intrepid

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 4:01 am    Post subject: Apology Reply with quote

Oh, it was in the paper on Tuesday I think. And then the Chosun Ilbo had an editorial yesterday. Basically, Lee gave some millions to Korea University and they wanted to award him an honorary Ph.D. I don't know exactly how these things work, but, say, giving Nelson Mandela an honorary Ph.D. for "Peace Studies" seems OK, but why shouldn't the students object to giving out a Ph.D., even an honorary one, in exchange for cash?
200 or so students blocked Lee's way into the building. The U. apologized, to Lee, and called the students various names. The Chosun Ilbo echoed the school.
In Confucian cultures, university students are considered the conscience of the society.
I know that Korea now worships not the Confucian hierachry, but almighty Mammon. Still, for a country whose students resisted Japan, decried Kwangju, etc., I expected a bit better.
Daechidong Waygookin

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

University students are idiots. Where do you find the strongest support for North Korea for example? Among university students. These guys proved this fact. idiots.
Teufelswacht

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infoseeker wrote:
Can you give us more background Intrepid? I don't actually know what you are talking about.

This somewhat related thread might give some of the background you are seeking.

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/korea/viewtopic.php?t=38064
Intrepid

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 6:24 am    Post subject: Idiot students? Reply with quote

A lot of university students are idiots, I agree. About 50% of my students were, it seemed. The others were great.

The support for North Korea is a good point; it amazed me: I had one student say that North Korea was a friend and the US was an enemy. Perhaps both enemies, but Kim Jong Il is not your friend, jejune 19 year-old. How'd you like to be part of his "glory corps" or whatever they're called? I think that can be written off to naivete, though.

But, protesting some guy's buying of a doctorate, when students at least pay good money for their degrees seems legit. Most of them don't work very hard for said degrees, and expect an A, at worst, for their meagre efforts, but that's another, systemic issue; to wit, what total crap Korean universities are.

But I think students are within their rights to protest and Korea U is just kissing the rich man's hand/ring/whatever in all this.
jjurabong

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
some guy's

The man is responsible for much of the speedy progress Koreans are so proud of. Many of the students will be looking for jobs with Samsung in a couple of years.
the_beaver

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Idiot students? Reply with quote

Intrepid wrote:
But, protesting some guy's buying of a doctorate, when students at least pay good money for their degrees seems legit.

It's an honorary degree. There're often given out as a show of appreciation for whatever and I think Bill Cosby has one or two for just being a fan of education. Nobody confuses them with the real thing.
Daechidong Waygookin

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Idiot students? Reply with quote

Intrepid wrote:
A lot of university students are idiots, I agree. About 50% of my students were, it seemed. The others were great.

The support for North Korea is a good point; it amazed me: I had one student say that North Korea was a friend and the US was an enemy. Perhaps both enemies, but Kim Jong Il is not your friend, jejune 19 year-old. How'd you like to be part of his "glory corps" or whatever they're called? I think that can be written off to naivete, though.

But, protesting some guy's buying of a doctorate, when students at least pay good money for their degrees seems legit. Most of them don't work very hard for said degrees, and expect an A, at worst, for their meagre efforts, but that's another, systemic issue; to wit, what total crap Korean universities are.

But I think students are within their rights to protest and Korea U is just kissing the rich man's hand/ring/whatever in all this.

Thise students dont buy degrees?! They pay money, they do little work, coast by and graduate. Well woo hoo, great work there...NOT! Atleast Lee Kun Hee paid good money for his. Seriously though, the man has done a lot for Korea, more than any of those jokers will ever do in their lives. If anyone deserves a degree, its him, not them.
Daechidong Waygookin

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjurabong wrote:
Quote:
some guy's

The man is responsible for much of the speedy progress Koreans are so proud of. Many of the students will be looking for jobs with Samsung in a couple of years.

The nams of the students who protested should be gathered and Samsung should refuse them future employment. Losers and idiots. Korea without Samsung would be half the country it is now.
Intrepid

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: His father, perhaps Reply with quote

Lee Kun Hee's father Lee Byung Chull did a lot for Korea. The current Lee, while he runs a tight ship, is not of the founding generation.
Leslie Cheswyck

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: His father, perhaps Reply with quote

Intrepid wrote:
Lee Kun Hee's father Lee Byung Chull did a lot for Korea. The current Lee, while he runs a tight ship, is not of the founding generation.

The whiny little cribaby students are even less so.

DW is right, man. These "students" have NO moral high ground.
Daechidong Waygookin

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: His father, perhaps Reply with quote

Intrepid wrote:

The modern Lee changed Samsung from a small company with a crappy reputation for making third rate TVs and refridgerators into the top electronics company in Asia. Its under him that Samsung surpassed Sony, became the top elecronics company in Asia and one of the best in the world, if not the best. He was responsible for a complete overhaul of company philosophy.

The students? They have never done anything. Mommy and daddy pay for their education, they go, hang out with friends, cheat on exams and expect to graduate. Then, by virtue of graduating from Korea Univeristy they will expect to get nice jobs at companies like Samsung where they will get paid big money. Who are these guys to protest anything? They were born with a silver spoon in their rich mouths. Men like Lee Kun Hee are responsible for what this country is. But then again, I shouldnt expect anything from university students. Most are immature brats who have tons of growing up to do. Their views are immature and laughable. Its among the ranks of univeristy students in Korea that you will find the biggest support for North Korea. Only mentally deficient kids could support North Korea and call that country a friend. Thats what Uni students are: mentally deficient, spoiled brats.
Intrepid

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: Student protests? Reply with quote

So students have no right to protest? Where would Korea be without students protests?
Leslie Cheswyck

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: Student protests? Reply with quote

Intrepid wrote:
So students have no right to protest? Where would Korea be without students protests?

This isn't about the students' right to protest. It's about how stupid they are.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: