Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A warning for the Dutch.....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigverne

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Turkey has even ruled over much of Europe at one time.'

And they were driven out for good reason. Let's not forget that outside Istanbul, most Turks live in very conservative, poor, rural areas, where the influence of Islam is very strong indeed.
mithridates

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guangho wrote:
Mein Kampf is the number one selling book in Turkey at the moment which puts a damper on the whole modern, Western-oriented multiculti "we wanna be Europeans" spin coming out of Ankara. I mean it's not like MK is listed in the annals of great secular or Muslim literature.

That's f*ked up. Here's another board with a discussion on the same thing:

http://msgboard.snopes.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=53;t=001588;p=1

Apparently *one* of the reasons it's selling so well is because it's being sold at half price. I'm not sure why, but it's a well-known book that was republished and cheap enough for just about anyone to buy.

Bigverne, I would change that to Istanbul and Ankara, the capital. Don't forget that most of the people in the rural east are Kurds, who are Indo-Europeans.

I think Turkey would have a much easier time getting in if they just gave up the land to the east. Increase the per capita GDP, look more European, have a more secure border (i.e., not Iraq). That'll never happen though.
bigverne

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Don't forget that most of the people in the rural east are Kurds, who are Indo-Europeans.'

As Turkish citizens they would be free to settle anywhere in the EU, bringing such practices as these with them:

http://service.spiegel.de/cache/international/0,1518,344374,00.html

'The *beep* lived like a German'....charming.
mithridates

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I said it would be easier if they were to just give up that area in the east. It's dead weight as far as I'm concerned. Except that it borders a lot of countries; strategically useful, I suppose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Tu-map.png

See that city of Trabzon? That's around where the real Mithridates used to rule. Pontus, that's where it was at.
R. S. Refugee

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R. S. Refugee wrote:
Leslie Cheswyck wrote:

You know, when you pass by a hitch-hiker and you look in the rearview mirror. And you see him giving you the finger. You know what he's telling you, Mith?

He's telling you that you made the right decision.

So, when you look in the rear mirror and he isn't giving you the finger, do you stop and pick him up? Or do you just imagine that he's giving you the finger regardless of what's really happening?

Seriously, I really want to know.

Leslie Cheswyck wrote:

Um, I would just keep driving. As I always do.

Now, that's an honest metaphor for you. Very Happy Laughing Wink
Summer Wine

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was an article that said that if Turkey joins the EU then when does it stop, Russia, who borders that? Turkey, who borders that? Israel, who borders that?

I guess for some it is what determines the EU, money, culture, similarities, ethnicism, anti US sentiment, pro US sentiment, I mean what makes the EU???
mithridates

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That little island of Mayotte in between Madagascar and the African mainland uses the Euro too. As does New Caledonia and every other French territory abroad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayotte
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the EU ever let Turkey in that would be a huge mistake.

They'd never be able to police that border of Turkey with its neighbors.. and it would be the second largest country in the EU giving them an extremely large say in the matters of Europe.

If I were a European, I'd want as much control over my own politics as much as possible.

Of course being from a divided U.S. where the more conservative (and usually southern part of the U.S.) controls everything.. is where I'm coming from with this.

What a different international perception the world would take on the U.S. if cities like San Francisco, Seattle, New York, Boston had the dominant say over U.S. politics/policies instead. Smaller is better.

If northern Europe (Scandinavia, Germany, Netherlands, etc.) gives up control over their countries (a huge united Europe like a United States) to encompass the entire region including Turkey.. then most of their progressive politics is going to quickly be a thing of the past.

Last edited by Tiger Beer on Tue May 10, 2005 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
rapier

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Europe: all these countries should be in the EU.

Poorer eastern european nations like Ukraine + Moldova could provide the cheap labor force required in Western Europe. The N. W corner of Turkey is European.

former extent of Islam: we have sardinia, spain and half of Crete back now.
rapier

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkey's economy
How does the country's economy compare with those of the EU? Its GDP per head is less than a third of the average for the 15 pre-2004 members of the EU. But it is not far off that of one of the ten new members which joined on May 1st 2004 (Latvia), and it is much the same as those of Bulgaria and Romania.

Looking to Europe
Mar 17th 2005
From The Economist print edition

http://www.economist.com/surveys/displaystory.cfm?story_id=3737609

Turkey: EU Bid Hinges on Further Rights Reforms
Tackle Displacement, Torture, Freedoms of Expression and Assembly

http://hrw.org/english/docs/2004/06/15/turkey8816.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: