Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rough Justice, in Reverse

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rok_the-boat

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 4:39 am    Post subject: Rough Justice, in Reverse Reply with quote

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/story.jsp?story=635748

Quote:
A military judge threw out a guilty plea by Lynndie England, a key figure in the Abu Ghraib prisoner abuse scandal ...

Yesterday the Judge said Private England was NOT GUILTY, despite the fact that she pleaded GUILTY - now that has to be a first - I have never heard of such a thing.

And today we have:

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/middle_east/story.jsp?story=635756

Quote:
US Marine cleared over mosque shooting

A US Marine corporal who shot dead an apparently injured and unarmed Iraqi in a Fallujah mosque last year will not face court-martial, the Marine Corps announced today....

------------------

What, I wonder, comes tomorrow?
dogbert

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's perfectly legal and it does happen.

Personally, I wish they would hang that white-trash postergirl for retroactive abortion, but them's the breaks.
turtlepi1

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogbert wrote:
It's perfectly legal and it does happen.

Personally, I wish they would hang that white-trash postergirl for retroactive abortion, but them's the breaks.

um...dude...shouldn't the white-trash postergirl actually be white?

gmat

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How white do she have to be ? Rolling Eyes

turtlepi1

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarcasm missed....*doh*

Twisted Evil
desultude

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My reading of the article says that the court entered a plea for her of not guilty, because she did not really believe herself to be guilty. She entered a plea in a plea bargain of guilty. If the judge didn't believe her plea to be credible, he had the right to reject it and try her. It looks like that is what is going to happen.

Perhaps the judge actually wants to have a fair trial and a fair outcome, and also have the evidence heard. This is far from declaring her innocent.

I think she is a scapegoat. Go after the big guys. Those two in the photo kissing would be a good place to start.

By the way, I come from what is generally labeled a "white trash" background. Being white and poor/working class is not sin. My father lives in a double wide in the piney woods of north Florida. He worked harder all of his life than any of us. So, take your labels and put them where to sun don't shine, as we white trash like to say.
dogbert

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

desultude wrote:
My reading of the article says that the court entered a plea for her of not guilty, because she did not really believe herself to be guilty. She entered a plea in a plea bargain of guilty. If the judge didn't believe her plea to be credible, he had the right to reject it and try her. It looks like that is what is going to happen.

Perhaps the judge actually wants to have a fair trial and a fair outcome, and also have the evidence heard. This is far from declaring her innocent.

I think she is a scapegoat. Go after the big guys. Those two in the photo kissing would be a good place to start.

By the way, I come from what is generally labeled a "white trash" background. Being white and poor/working class is not sin. My father lives in a double wide in the piney woods of north Florida. He worked harder all of his life than any of us. So, take your labels and put them where to sun don't shine, as we white trash like to say.

If you and I were to compare our white-trash credentials, we'd probably come out even. But the point is, Lynddie is white trash, however you cut it. White trash is how you act, not how much money you have.

But you're right that it would make it tougher to go after the big guys if Lynddie is allowed to take the fall with no trial. So this is probably a good thing, although there's obviously the risk that no one will be convicted at all.
rok_the-boat

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how these events will be interpreted in Arabic...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: