Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Libs Admit!!! Perhaps Bush got it right after all
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
funplanet

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 4:05 am    Post subject: Libs Admit!!! Perhaps Bush got it right after all Reply with quote

http://guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,3604,1475994,00.html

Oh my god! and this from the Guardian Very Happy that British outpost of Bush and Blair hating....

perhaps some liberals are capable of putting their hatred aside and seeing the reality...
pollyplummer

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 5:19 am    Post subject: read it Reply with quote

Yeah I read that. Someone's thinking, for once. If those kinds of analytical skills and conclusions were brought to the forefront of the democratic party, they might actually have a chance, rather than using their age old tactic of being a vehicle and voice for minority agendas in the name of "inclusion" and "open-mindedness."
sundubuman

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree. I was shocked to see this in the guardian. It could have been, of course, a 'let's help out Blair thing', but I hope the sentiments were real.

The world is better off without Saddam. period.
Neil

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's not really "Libs admit" as the author of the piece is a well known right winger but it's nice that the liberal press can print both sides of the story rather than just parroting what their readers want to hear. It does lead to a better quality of debate and it's a shame the conservative press doesn't do the same.
Apple Scruff

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People are descending into denial about the current state of affairs in Iraq.

"No way could the world be this fucked up. I think I'll just ignore all the terrible crap I've witnessed over the past two years because my head is going to explode if I can't justify it."
R. S. Refugee

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil wrote:
Well it's not really "Libs admit" as the author of the piece is a well known right winger but it's nice that the liberal press can print both sides of the story rather than just parroting what their readers want to hear. It does lead to a better quality of debate and it's a shame the conservative press doesn't do the same.

Editor of the Daily Torygraph for a decade and an apologist for Bush Iraq War II before if even started, Hastings isn't and never was a liberal. The Guardian just publishs opposing perspectives from time to time, a confusing concept to Limbaugh sychophants, I'm sure.

Here's part of his rationalizing British participation in Jan. 2003.

"I feel deeply uncomfortable about war against Iraq, but I now see no alternative to British participation. This is scarcely a dignified intellectual position. But the alternative, a decisive breach with the US when the West faces grave threats to its security, seems too painful to contemplate. I suspect Mr Blair thinks the same."
The Bobster

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't quite finished reading the article, but would someone point to exactly which "lib" it is who admitting being in error? I haven't run across it yet. What I'm reading seems to be a rightwinger being published in a traditionally liberal news source - and what it shows is that liberals are perfectly willing to listen to views from the other side, not a big surprise to those of us who are aware of reality.

Now show me a link to Fox News that has an unedited article from an articulate voice from moveon or some similar antiwar source, and then you can see some astonishment from our side...
mithridates

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I should email the Guardian the url to this thread and let them have a chuckle.
sundubuman

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple Scruff wrote:

"No way could the world be this *beep* up. I think I'll just ignore all the terrible crap I've witnessed over the past two years because my head is going to explode if I can't justify it."

who's in denial. It's a tribal savage Jihadi mess. The French recently arrested a bunch of local jihadi who were recruiting holy warriors to blow up Americans in Iraq. It's a simple equation really.

A sunni minority who supported the world's worst dictator loses power + holy warriors bent on blowing up Americans.

Iraq has become a terrorist magnet.
Apple Scruff

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sundubuman wrote:
who's in denial(?)

Check the title.
Derrek

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha... just can't handle it that things are improving in Iraq, can some of you?

The US will be heading out of there eventually, leaving behind a stronger gov't and a trained local force to deal with their own situations.

People in Iraq are catching on to the whole Democracy thing. Just give it time. Rome wasn't built in a day, either.

Seems to me I heard everyone crying about how this was all about oil, and the US would just steal all of the oil, etc.

Why don't we see that happening? I don't see US trucks and ships hauling it out of there without paying. Do you?
Kuros

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derrek wrote:
Seems to me I heard everyone crying about how this was all about oil, and the US would just steal all of the oil, etc.

Why don't we see that happening? I don't see US trucks and ships hauling it out of there without paying. Do you?

No, Derrek. I also don't see 8 billion of those 20 billion dollars of oil revenue. Let's face it, Bush has done some good things in Iraq, but it sure has been messier than it need be.

Apple Scruff wrote:

"No way could the world be this *beep* up. I think I'll just ignore all the terrible crap I've witnessed over the past two years because my head is going to explode if I can't justify it."

And now the ultra-negativity crowd. Could it be possible that good could result even from bad things?
Apple Scruff

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad we can't ask the giant number of dead and wounded Iraqis if they'd have preferred death and/or mutilation over Saddam's rule.
Kuros

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Too bad we can't ask the giant number of dead and wounded Iraqis if they'd have preferred death and/or mutilation over Saddam's rule.

We can also ask them how they feel about the Sunni insurgency. Particularly the dead Kurds and Shi'a.
Apple Scruff

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuros wrote:
Quote:

We can also ask them how they feel about the Sunni insurgency. Particularly the dead Kurds and Shi'a.

Overall, we can assume that they're tired of everything 'sploding.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: