Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Identifying Poisonous Snakes in Korea
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giggles84

Location: Loch Ness where the Monster lives, Inverness, Scotland UK planet Earth (according 2 google earth)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have heard the worst snake in terms of poison is on a island just of Doha Qutar. another amazing fact i found about snakes was though australia has the most in term of number of snakes and types, it only had 2 deaths related to snake bites in the last 15 years compared to 347 a year in india. the first 1 or 2 are key to getting treatment, so make sure u r near a hospital when u get bitten!
jesuslizrd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: Identifying Poisonous Snakes in Korea Reply with quote

Rock wrote:
You know, this is probably common knowledge here, but there's a deadly snake called the Tokso Sumulsa or something or another. It can kill you.

Anyway, I went jogging the other day and almost stepped on a snake. I asked my co-worker, and he said the poisonous snakes' heads here are diamond shaped. Anyone else know how to identify them?

This one was black and red, with a viper-like head.

Jesuslizrd: The best thing to do is let it bight you, or a small child to see if it's deadly, Errrrr. Actually, I think you are lucky to see any wildlife in Korea as I think most animals have been killed though I always see dear and cats.
yoja

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hugekebab

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Venomous snakes in South Korea
[ TOC ]

* Gloydius blomhoffi

* Gloydius saxatilis

* Gloydius ussuriensis

* Hydrophis cyanocinctus

* Hydrophis ornatus

* Mesobuthus martensii

* Pelamis platurus

* Rhabdophis tigrinus

* Vipera berus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've visited every national park here and climb Dobongsan several times a week all throughout the year, for the last 4 years. I have only seen 2 live snakes, and they were about a foot long, tiny, brown and no threat at all. Maybe I'm lucky. I am more worried about the crazy green spiders that build their webs across the trail. Getting bit by one of those would have to suck. Also the centipede thing, black with red legs will make you look twice.

www.hikingkorea.com
McGenghis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a snake once, and I picked him up and posted him on my facebook. I mean, he was a fine snake and I was a fool Canadian who thought all snakes north of say Cambodia were essentially harmless. Anyway, I showed the picture to a Korean teacher and he said "that snake is poisonous". The snake was so cool and collected throughout the whole ordeal, too. I would have named him 'Pill Face' but then I wouldn't have been able to take his picture.
gavinhudson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Yes, there are venomous snakes in S. Korea Reply with quote

The short answer to your question is yes. There are venomous snakes in South Korea. Several are the Short-tailed mamushi, Short-tailed viper, Red-tongued viper and tiger keelback. As far as I've learned, these species tend to be docile and shy. They try to avoid people and aren't much of a threat.

On the other hand, my girlfriend works at a hospital here in Gangwon-do and she says that viper bite patients are not uncommon. She tells me that bites are easily treated and that they are most frequent in the fall when people are hiking and doing maintainance on grass-covered burial mounds (the snakes sometimes live in the grass).

Take a look here for references:

English: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_snakes_in_Korea

Korean: http://cafe.daum.net/bucheonchurch/EXxY/78?docid=19uc9|EXxY|78|20090201190635&q=%C7%D1%B1%B9%20%B9%EC&srchid=CCB19uc9|EXxY|78|20090201190635

Korean: http://cafe.daum.net/djokgyesu/FgFK/95?docid=1935z|FgFK|95|20080926220744&q=%C7%D1%B1%B9%20%B9%EC&srchid=CCB1935z|FgFK|95|20080926220744
bananahammock

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haaate snakes. I hope I don't see any when I come over. I like to go nature hiking and whatnot so hopefully they aren't around the mountains near Seoul.
kiaratokorea

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

huh interesting myth
gelynch52

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: Read this from US military site Reply with quote

http://www.stripes.com/article.asp?section=104&article=50521
There are a couple varieties of poisonous snakes in Korea although I never saw one in 7 years. By the way, it is people like the guy who made fun of the use of the word poisonous instead of venomous who give English teachers & Americans a bad name. It is not necessary to pay so much attention to semantics of simple words when talking about such things as snakes. Remember that communication is the key & correctness often just irritates people.
The puffer fish is poisonous to eat but is not venomous. I
know of no poisonous (to eat) snakes but we all know what is being talked about.
ATlasIAm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised
gelynch52

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: Venomous snake information Reply with quote

Quote:
Read this for knowledge & beware: http://www.reptileknowledge.com/articles/article11.php

As for Qatar read this. It is useful in most of the Middle East.
http://www.qatarvisitor.com/index.php?cID=430&pID=1262

When finished read this for a laugh & beware. Depending upon your gender, the responses will be different for personal safety.
http://www.tasgreetings.com/thesnake.htm
skgirl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: snakes Reply with quote

yup, best to stay away from all of them!
lostinincheon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't mind me, just trying to get to 25 posts so I can PM
lostinincheon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and again
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: