Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alright alright, let's be negative about korea then.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lawrence

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sultdude..you lose me when you use Mexicans as somehow indicative of
western culture. If Korean men are so comfortable with their sexuality,
why are they always asking me questions like "how do you approach girls?
..what do you say to women..?" Why did the middle school boys I taught two years ago spend their break times stinking their hands in each others pants..? Why do the US troops here think most KATUSA act /
appear gay? Did you read Hong Suk Chon's interview in Korea Herald,
where he said "there is a homo-erotic element to middle school in Korea."
He was there..and walks the walk. One of the few truly honest Koreans I
have met here.
Medic

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 2:47 pm    Post subject: Alright alright, let's be negative about korea then. Reply with quote

I enjoy the Saunas, and there are a lot of them in my town and in every other town in Korea. There are aren't that many in Australia or the U.S. or Canada, apparently because of the gay element. You can't open up a sauna in those countries unless it's part of a health and fitness club, because they will invariably be invaded by the gays. I guess the ubiquitus saunas here in korea are an indication of the menfolk being pretty secure in their sexuality.
PootyTang

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to saunas regularly (spensive ones too) and never had any problems. I have a yin yang dolphins tat but is small and hardly stands out. People looked but I just ignore that...
rapier

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Medic: "secure in their sexuality". Does this include being secure in their childrens sexuality too? I've been in the sauna twice . On both occasions there were men walking around naked while children ran around. wierd. Likewise, at hogwons, their is no division between teacher and kids toilets. You can be taking a leak while the kids you have just taught are staring at your ****. (I don't let that happen, but it easily could).
Homer

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rapier,

What's wrong with dad's bringing their sons to the sauna?
Its an old tradition in Korea.
I couldn't care less as long as the kids don't go nuts and act like this is playland.
mokpochica

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rapier wrote:
Medic: "secure in their sexuality". Does this include being secure in their childrens sexuality too? I've been in the sauna twice . On both occasions there were men walking around naked while children ran around. wierd. Likewise, at hogwons, their is no division between teacher and kids toilets. You can be taking a leak while the kids you have just taught are staring at your ****. (I don't let that happen, but it easily could).

Most people don't consider children to have any sort of developed sexuality. You would probably be surprised that in the women's mogyotang you often see little boys accompanying their mothers, sisters, and other family members. I've never seen a boy older than about 7 or so in the women's mogyotang (probably because of that Confucian rule about separating boys and girls at 7). I go to mogyotangs, saunas, and jjim jil bang all the time and I don't have a problem with it.

Kids stare at everyone...not just you. They are curious about the world around them. If it bothers you, you either have to tell them or find a way to have privacy.

And it's not just Korea that has public bathhouses. You can find places like this almost anywhere--and even the US and Canada have locker/shower rooms where everyone is naked together.
rapier

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must just be me then! Sorry, but I find the idea of children mixing with naked adults a little strange...especially the kids you teach. When I was a kid I never showered with my parents or teachers. Looks like you all did?
Dan

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i see no problem with that at a very young age. but when you get to the age that kids know about the bits and pieces then...

still, fathers taking their sons to the sauna is a time honored tradition in korea, which i never took part in, but still....

and yes, korean men act insanely gay. but guys in the military are comfortable around each other. and who touches male ass more than football players anyway?
matko

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Western men punch, slap and hug each other.

Korean men touch, caress and fondel each other.

Which is gayer?

I guess it depends on what you're into! Laughing

(not that there's anything wrong with that!)
indiercj

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always been in public bath with my father even with my mother(the last time i went to the women's bath i was 8! this is when i started blushing and she quited on me Sad ). I enjoy going there with my highschool buddies after a good drinking night, with my coworkers and my boss. It's just a natural thing. I've never seen anyone becoming s.... in a public bath. Cool I think some western people are too obsessed about 'not being gay'. Why is the word 'gay' used so negatively so often?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lush72

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never got to go to a public bath as a child... Sad

Here I wont go because the kids run wild and treat it as if its a water theme park. Funny, this does not happen in Japan.
matthewwoodford

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

weatherman wrote:
I have tried to hold out from posting on this thread, for a lot of what I find 'not good' about Korea I feel could change if Korea was serious about becoming an international country, or even more out there, the hub of Asia. But Koreans aren't really serious, for it seems to me a truely twisted game they are playing with the rest of the world. There is a disconect from reality in Korea, that really bothers me. Koreans say one thing, and then do the other, not really seeing the realationship between their words and actions.

Ask yourself whether, if you were Korean, you'd be any different. Everyone posting on this board is part of their own culture, lives and breathes it, and is more deeply informed by its values than they'll ever know. I've seen many times how when Koreans say one thing and do another *they* understand what is meant by the words, but foreigners don't - so it doesn't show there's a disconnect between the Korean psyche and reality but just that you haven't understood the code. And every society has codes and understood norms of behaviour which are needed.
kiwiboy_nz_99

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't read all of this, as it's an old one that has obviously been brought back to life. But, did anyone mention corruption? This country is absolutely and utterly built on a foundation of corruption. There is nothing illegal that cannot be made legal with nice fat white envelope.
matthewwoodford

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cedar wrote:
Give me a Korean man over a Western man anyday of the week. I can leave the reasons to your own imagination, so as not to hurt anyone's feelings.

Are you saying they're better in the sack? Or what are you saying?
matthewwoodford

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rapier wrote:
It must just be me then! Sorry, but I find the idea of children mixing with naked adults a little strange...especially the kids you teach. When I was a kid I never showered with my parents or teachers. Looks like you all did?

Well in Europe kids under 5 or 6 get taken into the changing rooms and the showers in public swimming pools by their parents, and if it's a boy taken by his Mum or a girl by her Dad then they'll accompany them too. I'm surprised you see the Korean way as strange...unless they're 8 or 9 or something Twisted Evil ...is this North American prudishness?

Kids peeing next to their teachers in the toilets though - no way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: