Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Star Wars Raises Questions on U.S. Policy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kuros

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smee wrote:
Everyone knows Star Wars applies to, and is an authority for, absolutely everything.

LOL

It seems Lucas is as shallow at political commentary as he is at continuing the Star Wars legacy. But I'm biased, I still despise Lucas for boiling the force down to 'meta-trichlorian' content, or whatever it was, some biological substance from which the force could be derived. As if such a thing were necessary. Karl Jung would be pissed, I'm sure.
Joo Rip Gwa Rhhee

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Neo-nazi terrorist" Rense has two scholarly experts with pretty Jewish sounding names contributing to his site.

To paraphrase Apple Scruff : "What a complete jello head ..."

they are probably fakes . just like Rense favorite Israel Shamish who is really swedish.

Quote:

World Famous French Professor
Says From All His Research
Nazi Homicidal Gas Chambers
Did Not Exist
Dr. Robert Faurisson
http://www.ihr.org/other/authorbios.html
7-18-4

http://rense.com/general54/fromm.htm

Now go kick over some graves stones you lowlife.

Quote:
Zero Doubt - WTC Towers
Brought Down By Explosives

http://rense.com/general62/zxero.htm

Jeff Rense is a friend of terrorists and terrorist himself.
igotthisguitar

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff Rense - Editor-in-Chief
James Neff - Webmaster
Violeta Romanov - Associate Producer
Andrea Lea - Internal Productions Asst.
Contact [email protected]

Special Correspondents
David Cohen - Middle East Analyst, Zionism Expert
Rabbi Abraham Greenberg - Jewish Scholar, Historian

"Neo-nazi terrorist" Rense has two scholarly experts with pretty Jewish sounding names contributing to his site.

Joo Rip Gwa Rhhee wrote:
they are probably fakes . just like Rense favorite Israel Shamish who is really swedish.

Actually, they're probably two of the MANY "Jews Against Zionism".

http://www.jewsagainstzionism.com/

Did you mean BARRY Shamish ??? I just googled Israel Shamish & nothing came up. Perhaps you could humor us a little further in explaining.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=Barry+Chamish+jeff+rense

Joo Rip Gwa Rhhee wrote:

Something tells me you'd like it if i did that, ya flamer Laughing

Quote:
guangho

Location: a spot full of deception, stupidity, and public micturation and thus unfit for longterm residency

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So guys, I'm taking bets: Are we going to overturn the 22nd Amendment in a) 2005 or b)2007? Alternatively, we can always suspend the constitution like Lincoln suspended habeas corpus in 1861.
Joo Rip Gwa Rhhee

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Joo Rip Gwa Rhhee wrote:

Actually, they're probably two of the MANY "Jews Against Zionism".

http://www.jewsagainstzionism.com/

Did you mean BARRY Shamish ??? I just googled Israel Shamish & nothing came up. Perhaps you could humor us a little further in explaining.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=Barry+Chamish+jeff+rense

Joo Rip Gwa Rhhee wrote:

Something tells me you'd like it if i did that, ya flamer Laughing

Quote:

No the guy's name Israel Shamir

The guy who says Americans were tricked by Bush tricked us all believes the holocaust deniers Jeff Rense and the other 9-11 conspiracy terrorists. Rolling Eyes

Go beat up and old man or write swastikas a on synagogue you vile moron.

Jeff Rense is a terrorist , the American Free Press are terrorists -so are their supporters.

Last edited by Joo Rip Gwa Rhhee on Sat May 21, 2005 12:51 am; edited 1 time in total
mithridates

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star Wars reviews are everywhere and I'm not supposed to read them even though I'm temped to. Sad
bourquetheman

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well in another hour or so I'll have a decent copy of it myself. Of course when it does come to Korea on the 26th I'll also go watch it then, but I just can't wait that long. Woo hoo!!!!
bourquetheman

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another article relevant to the topic.

The Empire Strikes Bush

By Dan Froomkin
Special to washingtonpost.com
Monday, May 16, 2005; 12:48 PM

"This is how liberty dies -- to thunderous applause."

So observes Queen Amidala of Naboo as the galactic senate grants dictator-to-be Palpatine sweeping new powers in his crusade against the Jedi in the final "Star Wars" movie opening this week.

It's just one of several lines in "Star Wars: Episode III -- Revenge of the Sith," that reveal the movie to be more than just a sci-fi blockbuster and gargantuan cultural phenomenon.

"Revenge of the Sith," it turns out, can also be seen as a cautionary tale for our time -- a blistering critique of the war in Iraq, a reminder of how democracies can give up their freedoms too easily, and an admonition about the seduction of good people by absolute power.

Some film critics suggest it could be the biggest anti-Bush blockbuster since "Fahrenheit 9/11."

New York Times movie critic A.O. Scott gives "Sith" a rave, and notes that Lucas "grounds it in a cogent and (for the first time) comprehensible political context.

" 'Revenge of the Sith' is about how a republic dismantles its own democratic principles, about how politics becomes militarized, about how a Manichaean ideology undermines the rational exercise of power. Mr. Lucas is clearly jabbing his light saber in the direction of some real-world political leaders. At one point, Darth Vader, already deep in the thrall of the dark side and echoing the words of George W. Bush, hisses at Obi-Wan, 'If you're not with me, you're my enemy.' Obi-Wan's response is likely to surface as a bumper sticker during the next election campaign: 'Only a Sith thinks in absolutes.' "

Agence France Presse reports that the movie delivers "a galactic jab to US President George W. Bush."

It's been generating "murmurs at the parallels being drawn between Bush's administration and the birth of the space opera's evil Empire."

Are some people reading too much into the movie?

Filmmaker George Lucas insists that the genesis of his story dates back 30 years. But he pointed out that certain themes do seem to repeat themselves, whether here and now or a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

Bruce Kirkland writes in the Toronto Sun: "Star Wars is a wakeup call to Americans about the erosion of democratic freedoms under George W. Bush, filmmaker George Lucas said yesterday.
Smee

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Star Wars is a wakeup call to Americans about the erosion of democratic freedoms under George W. Bush

Well, if 9/11 didn't work . . .
Gollum

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I saw it. What a politically influenced, left-wing piece of crap.

I'm glad I didn't pay for it.

My childhood dreams have been tarnished.

So are we to think of Al Queda and supressive leaders as Jedi Knights and freedom fighters now? Somehow, I don't think the "good guys" from Star Wars were executing people and acting as homicide bombers; killing children.

The best online comment I've read is one suggesting that everyone who hates Lucas, Moore, and the rest of the left, ought to download and distribute free copies of this movie to ten of their friends -- just to bite into the film's gross.

Now I'm wondering if the "Death Star" of our day will be that satellite that can wipe out world leaders with one drop of a bomb. heh
mithridates

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, because George Lucas can see the future! Rolling Eyes

http://www.billingsgazette.com/index.php?id=1&display=rednews/2005/05/20/build/nation/65-star-wars_v.inc

Quote:
Lucas, you see, originally conceived "Star Wars" while many Americans were questioning leadership during Richard Nixon's presidency.

"It was really about the Vietnam War, and that was the period where Nixon was trying to run for a (second) term, which got me to thinking historically about how do democracies get turned into dictatorships?" Lucas said at his Skywalker Ranch earlier this month. "Because the democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away."

Now the "Star Wars" series has wrapped up while George W. Bush's presidency is triggering questions about America's role in the world, its use of military might and the tolerance of political dissent.
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Star Wars seems to be criticising the Bush administration, I doubt very much that it was intentional. However, I must say that the ideas expressed in the Star Wars story could be construed as critical of any and all attempts by "would be emperors" who seek to usurp power.

If anything, I suspect Lucas was thinking more along the lines of Nazi Germany when he wrote it.

So if the Bush people are offended by it, then it is their own fault.
If they weren't acting so similar to the Nazis, none of this would ever be considered applicable to them.

The Repugnicants need to get their collective heads out of their arses and look at where their leader is taking them.
Kuros

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mith, the problem is that people rarely accuse Nixon of a Manicheanist foreign policy. It's hard for me to believe that the exchange aforementioned between Obi Won Kenobi and Darth Vader was written during the Vietnam War.
Leslie Cheswyck

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last episode, I thought, was patterned after the end of the Roman Republic. Or something like it.

And, no. I don't think Lucas is rooting for the Taliban.
bourquetheman

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I didn't see the "rooting for the Taliban" connection either Leslie. Good to see though that Fox news is really sinking into Gollum's (aka Derrek's) system though, e.g. "homicide bombers" Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: