Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Belinda Stronach is a Liberal
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apple Scruff

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: Belinda Stronach is a Liberal Reply with quote

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/05/17/stronach-liberals050517.html

Millionaire Conservative MP Belinda Stronach has crossed the floor and joined Paul Martin's Liberal cabinet. Oh my.
Cthulhu

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's gone as far as she can with the Tories. She figures she needs to keep rising while she has the chance. Martin is so grateful for the support (and the extra vote) he'll probably help her go as high as she wants. She's already in the cabinet. Money aside, she was something of a red Tory anyway so its not such a big move. The timing, however, is quite suspicious.
Free World

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T'would have be awkward had she won the Conservative Leadership vote.
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This cements my opinion of her.

Opportunist! She ran for the Conservative leadership so she could be crowned queen of Canada. When that didn't pan out, she initiated a sexual relationship with Tory Deputy Leader Peter McKay. Now she makes a deal with the corrupt thieving Liberals so she can get not onto into the government caucus, but also into cabinet!

She used sex to get her way, but it wasn't the power she was seeking. She is using politics as her stepping stone for business and glory ambitions. I hate her!!! She's a sexual predetor and I wonder who will be her next victim. Paul Martin's wife had better watch out!
FUBAR

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Great Wall of Whiner wrote:
I hate her!!! She's a sexual predetor

I think you mean sexual opportunist. I really doubt that she is a rapist or pedophile.

As for me, I applaud her decision. This Conservative government is not looking out for the best interests of the nation. They are led by a leader so blinded by his dislike for the current government that he is doing everything in his power to take it down. If Harper really had the people's interest at heart he would wait until the Gomery report was published before demanding an election. As it stands now, Harper wants a spring election knowing that he will lose by a close margin. Then once the Gomery report is released, after some Liberal MPs have resigned he will then have other bi-elections to try and gain more seats for his party. It's smart on his part as far as using this sponsorship scandal to his advantage, but I think this budget vote is going to cost him huge in the eyes of Canadian voters come the fall election.

Note: I just read that two Nfld. MPs might be voting Liberal for the budget vote.
mindmetoo

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even before the last election, the PC old guard were actually saying "don't vote for the conservative party... vote liberal if you value a well run economy." Chretien came out of the '60s and '70s and it was all about patronage. But he had Martin run the econmy. Geez, Canada avoided slipping into recession during the American recession. Canada under Martin has had numerous budget surpluses. Are Canadian so foolish that they want to hang Martin by the rope Chretien left lying around?

But then what do I know? I haven't lived in Canada for half a decade. Hell, there was still a Reform Party last time I voted.
canuckistan
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
She used sex to get her way, but it wasn't the power she was seeking. She is using politics as her stepping stone for business and glory ambitions. I hate her!!!

The sex issue would NEVER be raised if you were talking about a man in the same situation.
FUBAR

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canuckistan wrote:

The sex issue would NEVER be raised if you were talking about a man in the same situation.

I have to disagree with that. If woman does it, she's called an opportunist. If a man does it, he's facing a sexual harrassment suit or a dismissal.

http://www.newsbug.net/news/2005-03-07/m.php
canuckistan
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FUBAR wrote:
canuckistan wrote:

I have to disagree with that. If woman does it, she's called an opportunist. If a man does it, he's facing a sexual harrassment suit or a dismissal.

http://www.newsbug.net/news/2005-03-07/m.php

My point was that there's always a pinheaded man around to accuse a successful woman of using sex to become successful because hey, it can't be her brains/ambition right? Successful men just don't get this accusation leveled at them.
Cthulhu

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stronach has no lack of either brains or ambitions, but family money made her successful, unless one considers a jump from second year business school dropout to the board of directors in 3 years to be remotely realistic. However, her other attributes kept her there.
Moldy Rutabaga

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Stronach sleeps around to further her career, that's her ethics. It makes no difference to me. But to jump ship to a party of crooks and thieves seems more odious to me. Did she consult her constituents on this?

Chretien achieved budget surpluses by passing on the costs of government to the provinces while keeping taxation constant. That's no miracle. Klein did the same by transferring costs to the municipalities.

Martin has promised an election after the Gomery report comes out-- but there's no solid deadline for the report to come out if people keep trying to sack the investigators, delay the proceedings, or make backroom deals with the NDP to cling to power. Shame. And double shame that we tolerate the lies and tricks.

Ken:>
Gwangjuboy

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canuckistan wrote:

PC madness. If God wanted men and women to be the same he would have equipped them both with tackle.
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FUBAR wrote:

I think you mean sexual opportunist. I really doubt that she is a rapist or pedophile.

As for me, I applaud her decision. This Conservative government is not looking out for the best interests of the nation. They are led by a leader so blinded by his dislike for the current government that he is doing everything in his power to take it down. If Harper really had the people's interest at heart he would wait until the Gomery report was published before demanding an election. As it stands now, Harper wants a spring election knowing that he will lose by a close margin. Then once the Gomery report is released, after some Liberal MPs have resigned he will then have other bi-elections to try and gain more seats for his party. It's smart on his part as far as using this sponsorship scandal to his advantage, but I think this budget vote is going to cost him huge in the eyes of Canadian voters come the fall election.

Note: I just read that two Nfld. MPs might be voting Liberal for the budget vote.

Yes, bad choice of words. Sexual opportunist. Peter McKay is reported to be devastated to have the love of his life leave him for political ambition.

She got bribed, and she took the bribe, plain and simple.

She got two Ministry portfolios and a seat on the Queen's Privy Council.

And no, she didn't consult her constituents as most MP's usually do when they flip-flop like a fish.

EDIT

Oh, and FUBAR, the Conservatives are not in government.
FUBAR

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT

Oh, and FUBAR, the Conservatives are not in government.

Haha... thanks. I missed that one.

Apparently Harper realizes that he won't have the support to defeat the budget bill so he is going after the ammendment to the budget. That was the addition of $4.5 billion in spending aimed at appeased the NDP vote.

Should make for an interesting few days.
The Lemon

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, she's an "opportunitist" putting her "ambition ahead of the country".

So she "flip flops".

Someone tell me again why Stephen Harper was trying to defeat a budget he was going to support a few weeks ago? (and has just announced he's going to support again?) Why now? Should we believe there's no connection to the Gomery stuff and the Liberal drop in the polls?

=======================

Mr. Winston Churchill, a parliamentarian of some note, "crossed the floor" twice in his career. The charges from redneck reform Westerners that her decision makes her a "*beep*" and a "prostitute" tell more about them than about her - particularly as one of the comments came from a conservative Christian minister. Judge not...

Too much of what's happening in Canadian politics lately mirrors the same schism we've seen occur with our good American friends: right vs. center; urban vs rural; secular vs fundamentalism; loudmouth ranting vs rational discussion and honest debate. It's sad to see.

Moldy Rutabaga wrote:
Did she consult her constituents on this?

Her constituents came within 600 votes of electing a Liberal last year. It was a close-run thing. It could be argued that she's representing her constituents in particular far more now by refusing to bring down the government. Add to that mix, she's no longer an opposition "critic" but a Cabinet Minister with a very important portfolio, giving her riding more of a voice at the table than they'd ever have dreamed of before. They're certainly winners in this.

Conservatives, large and small C, are just bitter. Naturally so, but that's all it is. Thus today's personal attacks on the same personality they bottled and sold a year ago. The revolution has been cancelled.

Last edited by The Lemon on Wed May 18, 2005 1:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: