Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Diversity Is A Stupid Idea
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dulouz

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 4:47 am    Post subject: Diversity Is A Stupid Idea Reply with quote

Boy, what a mess LA is. I was told diversity was supposed to bring rainbows and unicorns and butterflies of peace and I was supposed to become enriched somehow. I have very much the opposite. I haven't been rip off like that since last contract. Who made this mess and do you think they are going to clean it up?

Quote:
Reaching across LA's ethnic divide
By David Willis
BBC News, Los Angeles

It is 7am on the sprawling campus of the most notorious US inner-city schools. Pupils are filing into class under the watchful eye not of teachers, but policemen.

Antonio Villaraigosa needs to attract votes from varied ethnic groups

Violent clashes between black and Latino students in recent weeks have left several students seriously injured.

The special guest at a peace rally outside the school is a man many in the US' second-largest city are looking towards to ease its simmering racial tensions.

Antonio Villaraigosa, a former gang member, talks not of segregation but unity. He has gained the support of prominent African-American leaders in his campaign to become Los Angeles' first Latino mayor in more than 130 years and he is believed to be ahead of his competitors.

funplanet

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree....Celebrate Diversity...whose f* bright idea was that??? right up there with the Sunshine Policy...

I like diverse cultures, people, ideas, and such and I don't need to be told every f* day to celebrate it!!
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Boy, what a mess LA is. I was told diversity was supposed to bring rainbows and unicorns and butterflies of peace and I was supposed to become enriched somehow.

What alternative to diversity would you suggest?
dulouz

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whites only would be best. Ask me why.
guangho

Location: a spot full of deception, stupidity, and public micturation and thus unfit for longterm residency

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'll bite. Why?
dulouz

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure,

1)Whites only is better than civil war.
2)Diversity is a bad faith move when you consider Indian treaties.

There won't be any peace in LA due to Latinos' greed and recklessness. The mayoral candidate lies even more than hawkwan owners. Why? He's very likely pro illegal immigrant which means he'll cut plenty of favors for Latinos which means more legitimate racial tension due to corruption. The US never became a non-discriminatory nation regardless of what is publicly spoken. It simply morphed into a country where Latinos get the favors except few people fess up to it. The candidate kept saying "our city" over and over again. He doesn't mean that. He means "our city and every Latino alive". Its race preferential government, that is apartied. You can not expect tension in a situation like that.
Big_Bird

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dulouz wrote:
Sure,

1)Whites only is better than civil war.
2)Diversity is a bad faith move when you consider Indian treaties.

There won't be any peace in LA due to Latinos' greed and recklessness. The mayoral candidate lies even more than hawkwan owners. Why? He's very likely pro illegal immigrant which means he'll cut plenty of favors for Latinos which means more legitimate racial tension due to corruption. The US never became a non-discriminatory nation regardless of what is publicly spoken. It simply morphed into a country where Latinos get the favors except few people fess up to it. The candidate kept saying "our city" over and over again. He doesn't mean that. He means "our city and every Latino alive". Its race preferential government, that is apartied. You can not expect tension in a situation like that.

PURPLE HAZE ... ALL THROUGH MY HEAD...
Smee

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diversity is weird.

Put me in an elevator with an orange-skinned drunk girl and a middle-aged amateur golfer, and that's a pretty diverse situation for me, and one I'd like to end quickly.

Yet I enjoy reading Asian and Hypenated-American literature, which ranks as "diverse" in college curricula (sp?) (Yet what we call Chinese or Korean isn't the minority in China or Korea)

The typical signifiers of diversity are what rub me the wrong way.
Race, gender, ethnicity . . . all can be manipulated to serve self-interest (even by those who seem the most powerless in "dominant" contexts.)
dogbert

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The diversity stole my bicycle." -- Fred Reed
mithridates

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*ahem*

Dave's ESL = diversity

Or are some starting to believe that we all come from the country of �ܱ�? Did England and Ireland always walk hand in hand while gazing longingly at the other?
jajdude

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diversity makes it harder to blame foreigners.
rok_the-boat

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People who immigrated to the USA in the past generally assimilated to USA norms. Recent arrivals were generally (still are) despised until the next lot arrived and took their turn.

The few that didn't assimilate thoroughly formed Italian neighbourhoods and Chinatowns - their choice, and they are/were sometimes the worse because of it. For example, not knowing enough English means they cannot advance in general society so are stuck in their respective places. Nowadays, instead of the melting pot you have the salad bowl, which in the future threatens to become a boiling cauldron. Difference always causes friction - as Nicholson said in 'Mars Attacks' - Why can't we all just get along? Well, just as they couldn't neither can we - not if we are so different. The modern trend of taking over your religion and culture is creating a cultural mess. The only way forward is for all to head towards one similar norm. There needs to be such an objective, but for some reasion, it has become politically incorrect. As aresult, the differences are now being exaggerated to the extent that some people who have actually assimilated to American ways believe they are not American but something else.
turtlepi1

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would seem to imply that if we don't all want to "be american" then we need to stop being complacent and work toward bringing down the american government/economy.

Very revolutionary of you rok-the-boat (wait..we don't use the word revolutionary anymore...it is terrorist now..) Twisted Evil
Teufelswacht

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mithridates wrote:
*ahem*

Dave's ESL = diversity

Interesting comments as always there mith. By the way, how diverse IS Dave's? It seems most of us are WMA's or WFAs. I could be wrong. It just seems that way.

Quote:
Or are some starting to believe that we all come from the country of �ܱ�?

I don't know, maybe we should ask some of our Korean hosts that question.
desultude

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, the op mostly describes a problem related to class, not race. There just tends to be a high correlation of race and class in the U.S.

I suspect the black and Latino students at Beverly Hills High are doing just fine, thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: