Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How much soju is it polite to drink?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sincinnatislink

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, there is no upper limit.

I mean, have you been on a Seoul subway late at night? Even on/especially weeknights. Jesus.
RedRob

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The correct answer is one shot less than yr boss.
Luciddreamer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know soju at markets is less than 2,000 won. How much do they charge in restaurants in Korea?
sboix23

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drink the whole bottle
okayden223

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

only as much as you can handle...I don't really like the stuff.
kiaratokorea

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought this was about soju. ps females drinking? how does that go over in Korea?
goodsounz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:50 am    Post subject: Soju Rules - ones that I know of (A LONG READ...sooooory) Reply with quote

These days in the big cities I haven't heard of any negative feedback about females drinking on company/school outings. It is a funny thread
(funny in the way that nobody has really said anything of substance - there must be a bet going on regarding the length of how long this can stay a "sticky" without being of any use to anyone!)

So here's my ten cents worth....not really answering the threads initial question but seeing as no-one has, then I will give a broad view that probably already exists on some other thread!

Soju etiquette
1. Wait for someone to pour you a glass (shot-glass) of soju. It is considered impolite for you to pour your own glass. Amongst friends and family there is no problem in pouring your own one but in a work-do (work-party for those of you not in the commonwealth).

2. If your glass has been empty for a while and you (unlikely) really want a drink then you could either say to the person next to you some funny comment like "Are you busy?" or just lift your glass in the direction of the soju and hopefully someone will take the hint.

3. When drinking in front of the boss, turn to your side before you down it. When drinking it, either put your hand not holding the glass on the underside of your forearm, on your mid-riff or hold the glass with 2 hands.

4. Koreans also have a tradition where some senior member will offer you his glass. This is where you are expected to take the glass, accept his pour and down it in one. After downing it, you will be expected to shake the glass of any leftover drops that may be left (I usually get a tissue and wipe it clean) and offer it back to the person where you are expected to pour him a glass.
This tradition really sucks if you are the nube because everyone in a higher rank than you will come and expect you to do this in which case you will have drunk a million shots and they haven't touched a drop!
In this day and age of H1N1 and other diseases and illnesses which could be passed via saliva, its probably not a good idea to do but therein lies the dilemma!

5. It is rude to refuse to drink soju when everyone else is. I have refused soju before many times when it has been offered to me and have annoyed many middle aged men in doing so but the girls usually don't drink too much so if you situate yourself amongst them, you may not receive as many "pour offerings" from the hierarchy.

6. When pouring the soju for someone else, the same goes as when you drink it. I usually go with two hands. If you really want to impress, then get on your knees when you pour. In any culture, obeisance is well received by anyone (I love having people kneel in front of me hehehe not just for soju....but I digress)

7. Make sure you know which soju to order. Different areas in Korea have their different brand of soju. And even in those areas, there may be one or two different labels. These days some companies are trying to nationalize their brand (Cho Eun day for one) and having stars like Lee Hyo Ri advertise for them but old habits die hard. Andong soju is one of the more traditionally famous brands but even in Andong there are many brews.

8. The first time I drank soju, I drank so much I couldn't stand up. I dont like the taste but I also don't like it when some punk ass teenage Korean tells me he can drink more than I can! (Boys will be boys even when we're old hehehe) Oh the ending of that story was he passed out on the restaurant floor for an hour while I stupidly carried on drinking then after he woke up, he drove home. Alcohol will make anyone feel invincible!!!

9. Try not to mix the soju. The thing going for it is that it tastes terrible. So if it tastes terrible you probably won't drink too much. If you mix it with something that tastes nice, you will definitely not remember that night the next day. Unless that is why you are drinking soju^^

10. Pok-tang ju. This is where they mix soju with beer. Usually half a glass of beer with a shot of soju. (Boiler-maker in some countries and depth-charge in others). If you have a special way of making shots for everyone in one go then everyone will be impressed. (eg lining up glasses 3/4 full of beer and having the same amount of shot glasses balanced on the edge then when you bang the table all the shot glasses go in at the same time. I have seen one where they fell into the beer glasses like dominoes - that was cool!)

11. In my experience, women drinking has not been frowned upon. If you can't handle your drink however, I would not suggest drinking soju (not only for anyone but e'x'pecially for women). As in all societies, when people drink to much, things tend to get out of hand. The problem with most Korean (actually Asian) men is that they don't know when to say when.

So here is a tip for those of you not wanting to drink too much at those lovely Korean office parties. BE THE POURER. Sometimes it may backfire cos someone may eventually notice but if you are a good conversationalist as we all should be as we are teaching them how to use the lingo (GROSS GENERALIZATION!!!sorry) then you will be able to side step drinking too much. Whenever you offer someone with an empty glass more soju, they will not say no. It is instinctive for them to hold their glass and accept your pour.

That's all I can remember at this point but there is a lot more. Also there is etiquette for drinking whiskey at those "special" singing rooms but I think I will leave that for English spectrum ^^.
ATlasIAm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anything goes in korea
kangnamdragun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Soju Rules - ones that I know of (A LONG READ...sooooory Reply with quote

goodsounz wrote:

10. Pok-tang ju. This is where they mix soju with beer. Usually half a glass of beer with a shot of soju. (Boiler-maker in some countries and depth-charge in others). If you have a special way of making shots for everyone in one go then everyone will be impressed. (eg lining up glasses 3/4 full of beer and having the same amount of shot glasses balanced on the edge then when you bang the table all the shot glasses go in at the same time. I have seen one where they fell into the beer glasses like dominoes - that was cool!)

Actually, Pok-tang ju is whiskey and beer. Soju and beer is so-mak.
Belinda

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Hi Reply with quote

I guess that on who you are drinking with and where mate!
BrenSmith

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ATlasIAm wrote:
anything goes in korea

brilliant
skgirl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: soju Reply with quote

drink as much as you like
cafechris

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:05 am    Post subject: Drinking in Asia Reply with quote

Honestly, speaking from experience. It is wiser to have a drink or two at the bar or club and that's it. Saving your money to invest down the road. The players I've met don't buy drinks at the bar, they usually get one or two handed to them by friends, and they are doing well.
Girls don't respect you any more if you try and buy them a drink either.
Don't be one of those guys
autoseal89

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as you are comfortable with
curiouskate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: funny blog Reply with quote

In this blog she talks about a lot of random stuff, these are two blogs about drinking with coworkers.

http://ahhhimstillinkorea.blogspot.com/2010/05/liquid-courage-korean-workshop-style.html

http://ahhhimstillinkorea.blogspot.com/2010/11/another-korean-company-workshop.html

A lot of her entries are about work and life in Korea. It's worth a look if you're interested in non-teaching work in korea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: