Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Video of the infamous Galloway roasting Sen. Coleman
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dulouz

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galloway is a nobody and a flake. He annoys the British. He was pitched out of "Labour", and floundered and still running his mouth. This appears to be a good grilling. It's not. Good video tho. Him and Kilroy-Silk are a pair.
Apple Scruff

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dulouz wrote:
This appears to be a good grilling. It's not.

Why not?
The Lemon

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple Scruff wrote:
dulouz wrote:
This appears to be a good grilling. It's not.

Why not?

A fair question, one deserving of a response. So where is it...?

His testimony, all 47 minutes of it, is like one of those patented Hollywood courtroom monologues (think Nicholson in A Few Good Men, or Pacino in Scent of a Woman). As odious as the man's politics are - "Yes, I did support the Soviet Union, and I think the disappearance of the Soviet Union is the biggest catastrophe of my life...", I'd love to have this guy as my lawyer. For someone commonly portrayed as an ultraleft wackjob, he seemed to have a much better grip on reality than his two Senate interrogators.

Best quote about his testimony last week: "Even when Daniel was in the lion's den, he didn't humiliate and torment the lion. But that's what Mr Galloway did in Washington to the senator who accused him of making millions from Saddam oil." - Daily Mirror editorial

It was most certainly a grilling.

edit: - Here's Senator Coleman stumbling outside the hearing room after Galloway's testimony, brain clearly still spinning from the thrashing delivered unto him:
Quote:
Asked if Galloway violated his oath to tell the truth before the committee, Coleman said, "I don't know. We'll have to look over the record. If, in fact, he lied to this committee, there will have to be consequences."

Would they bomb Scotland?
The Bobster

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lemon wrote:
Quote:
His testimony, all 47 minutes of it, is like one of those patented Hollywood courtroom monologues (think Nicholson in A Few Good Men, or Pacino in Scent of a Woman). As odious as the man's politics are - "Yes, I did support the Soviet Union, and I think the disappearance of the Soviet Union is the biggest catastrophe of my life...", I'd love to have this guy as my lawyer. For someone commonly portrayed as an ultraleft wackjob, he seemed to have a much better grip on reality than his two Senate interrogators.

Here are the clues that a lot of us are missing ...

Supporting the Soviet Union, even during the cold War, was never a crime in the West, or at least it was only occasionally a reason for punishment. (Google "Rosenbergs" and get back to me.) Supporting the West while living in the Soviet Union was a crime, and there were places called gulags where such people were politely requested to reside, pretty much forever. (Google "Solzhenitzin" and get back to me.)

It's WHY we were better, why most people wanted to be us, and despite the myths of the far right Reagan idolators - "Tear down that wall, Mr Gorbechev'? Gimme a break - this, rather than Ronnie's winning smile was one of the main reasons we prevailed.

Galloway opposed Saddam at a time when the US supported Saddam, and that was also not a crime in the West, and you know what? Not true in Iraq at the same time in history. There was a place called Abu Ghraib where Saddam sent people who opposed him.

And it's another reason WHY we are better than Saddam was, and even without the invasion, we would still have prevailed.

(Oh, wait a minute ... Abu Ghraib. After we liberated it, um, didn't we fill it it up again? With pretty much the same sort of common people who were in the wrong place and talked the wrong stuff to the wrong people? Well, never mind.)

After Saddam's fall, Galloway opposed the US-led invasion, and you know what? That is also okay to do in the West. In this place, you can oppose the powers that be in your own words, right out in public, and no one will attack you ... except some right-wing senators who lack the clues I've just mentioned, and the rest of us can hear about it and talk with one another about who was right and who was wrong.

And it's another reason WHY we are better than the extremists who behead innocent Koreans interpreters and kidnap Italian journalists and others (some of who also opposed the invasion).

And we will prevail.

Because we are are better.

At least I hope so. All of this stuff is a test, and because of a lot of things I haven't mentioned (Patriot Act, Guantano Bay) we are not scoring too well at the moment.

I AM convinced we really are better, though. We merely have to act as if we are.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: