Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

girls---tampons?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christine

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 5:00 pm    Post subject: girls---tampons? Reply with quote

Will i be able to find them in Seoul, or do I really need to bring A YEARS WORTH? That's a lot of suitcase space. Thanks!
The Lemon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is from this thread:
http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/korea/viewtopic.php?t=51

Quote:
Okay, if you insist on tampons, you'd better buy a year's supply. They are available at pharmacies, but they are very expensive and I've never heard anything good said about them in the way of comfort or function. Better bring a year's supply of deodorant, too. It's extremely difficult to find, and once you do find it, the chances of your favorite brand being in stock is one in a million. Also, deodorant is very expensive. (I've seen lady speed stick being sold for about $9.00 for what looked like a sample.) Cosmetics are widely available, but I'd advise to bring what you like to use.

My wife, who is Korean, despises the local brands. I once asked why and immediately regretted doing so. She buys them in Canada during the yearly visits & brings them with us in the suitcases, or packs them in the surface mail parcels we often send to ourselves.

Though the stockpile is going unused now, due to pregancy. Smile
katydid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call it morbid curiosity, but I have always wanted to know about just WHY women should bring tampons from home....is the quality of the material used to make Korean tampons too flimsy? Are they um, accident prone? I was told by many people on this board to bring them from home, so I did, no questions asked, but now, well, I want to ask the question "why?" ^^

Katy
elmer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Katy,

I think people suggest bringing them from home for 2 main reasons:
1. until recently, they were not so easy to find in Korea (mostly at drugstores), and quite expensive (although I think tampons are expensive anyway)
2. brand-loyalty. Lots of girls find a brand they like and then stick to it. For example, most OB users (myself included) don't want to use any other kind. Worked out well for me since OBs don't take up alot of space.

As for "efficiency" of Korean brands? Well I got some once (and they weren't the "Tempo" brand that everyone talks about here). There weren't any accidents, but the quality felt like Tampax from 20 years ago. Not sure if you know what I mean, but if you know the difference between OB and Tampax, then you might...

Cool
meatball

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring a couple of months worth but no more than that....

You can find tampax and playtex here. Not just in Seoul, but most cities. I have even found them in very small cities too.
Yes they are more expensive but I'd rather use the suitcase space for deoderant rather than things I can find easily here.

good luck!
Christine

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was under the impression that they were very difficult to find, not just poor in quality. Thanks for the tips. I'll have more suitcase room now.
Row

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 5:44 am    Post subject: good old mum Reply with quote

Very Happy I think its a brand thing, you find one that you like, and you stick with it. And it is quite an important thing i guess, feeling comfortable with what goes inside you!! Embarassed I get my mum to send me packs when i am running low, and only resort to korean ones in an emergency!!
sunlit

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 10:28 pm    Post subject: tampon alternative Reply with quote

i saw a posting a lil while back on the board about menstrual cups. specifically, it was the keeper (www.thekeeper.com). it's a latex cup that is inserted kind of like a tampon and can be used for years. --Wash with hot water and soap

an alternative to latex, is the divacup (www.divacup.com) made of silicone, it can be boiled to sanitize.

i did some research and foung mum.org ( museum of menstruation). it has the full history of the cups.

http://www.mum.org/MenCups.htm

i'm waiting to recieve my cup in the mail.
sillywilly

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A korean girlfriend once gave a box of OBs cause she doesn't use Tampons.. i dont know where she got them other than in Korea but if you like OB I can ask her.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: