Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JAX --> ICN // ICN--> JAX

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pollyplummer

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 1:53 am    Post subject: JAX --> ICN // ICN--> JAX Reply with quote

I cant seem to find tickets cheaper than $1,000 USD for July. Is it too early to buy a ticket and would it be cheaper if I waited until June to buy it? Does anyone know some kind of online travel agency that can get you cheap flights to and from Asia and the States? If anyone can find me a super cheap ticket, I'd be most grateful. In fact, if you find the cheapest one, I'll buy you a beer. No, make that two beers Wink Heck, I'll buy you a whole pitcher. C'mon lend me a hand. The dates are: depart JAX on July 5, return to the States on July 20 dor 21st. (prefererably the 21st as long as it gets you back the same day) Or if anyone has any suggestions about where to look, let me know... please dont say Orbitz or Cheaptickets.com or all the biggies. Believe me, I've tried them. The ticket's not for me. It's for a friend coming to visit. The contest is on... you may post your findings publically or pm me. Thank you, travel gurus! Very Happy
tzechuk

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to get our friend to buy his/her ticket from the States. It's always more expensive if you buy the ticket elsewhere.
pollyplummer

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 2:15 am    Post subject: online Reply with quote

They don't know where I'm buying it from. I always buy my tickets online, using my American bank account.
kprrok

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for laughs, I checked Orbitz and Expedia. The lowest fare they show is over $1400. If you can get it for $1000, take it. That's pretty good from Jacksonville. Even going from LAX, SFO, ORD or NYC the cheapest you'll find is $1200 or so on those sites.

Why would you expect to get a much better price than that during the height of tourist season? Just book the thousand buck ticket.

KPRROK
pollyplummer

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kprrok wrote:
Just for laughs, I checked Orbitz and Expedia. The lowest fare they show is over $1400. If you can get it for $1000, take it. That's pretty good from Jacksonville. Even going from LAX, SFO, ORD or NYC the cheapest you'll find is $1200 or so on those sites.

Why would you expect to get a much better price than that during the height of tourist season? Just book the thousand buck ticket.

KPRROK

That's why there's a PRIZE, buddy!! Wink Who knows? Maybe someone knows some obscure online travel place that has really good deals.
soviet_man

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xanadu Travel in Itaewon

Seoul - New York - Seoul
North West Airlines
980,000 Won (Return)

http://www.xanadu.co.kr/
pollyplummer

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: tix Reply with quote

I'm wondering if I wait two weeks if the prices will go down. You know how some fares don't go on sale until just one month before? It doesn't seem too booked up yet. Maybe they will have summer sales in a couple weeks. I just thought maybe someone familiar with the airline/ticketing industry might be able to give me more perspective on the market.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soviet_man wrote:
Xanadu Travel in Itaewon

Seoul - New York - Seoul
North West Airlines
980,000 Won (Return)

Xanada is the place!

Also on Northwest Airlines, I just bought at roundtrip ticket to Honolulu for 698,000 won. On Hawaiian Airlines.. I saw flights to the West Coast for as low as $380 roundtrip.

So I've scheduled two Honolulu vacations to start and end my North American trip.
Wangja

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger Beer wrote:
soviet_man wrote:
Xanadu Travel in Itaewon

Seoul - New York - Seoul
North West Airlines
980,000 Won (Return)

Xanada is the place!

Also on Northwest Airlines, I just bought at roundtrip ticket to Honolulu for 698,000 won. On Hawaiian Airlines.. I saw flights to the West Coast for as low as $380 roundtrip.

So I've scheduled two Honolulu vacations to start and end my North American trip.

Good site TB. Damn, Europe for 750,000 KRW, almost a weekend outiung!
taegu girl

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try www.sidestep.com
it compares all the different prices from different websites.
Just a note, i have been looking for tickets from CA to Korea for Oct. (roundtrip) and haven't found any under $1000. Crying or Very sad
pollyplummer

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 3:41 am    Post subject: ORD-->ICN or GMP Reply with quote

Okay, let's change the game. If no one can find a good deal out of JAX, let's try ORD.

July 5th, ORD-->ICN or GMP
Returning 20 July

Seems like it should be easier to find a good deal, as there are more flights out of chicago. Anyone having any luck under 1,000 USD ??
animalbirdfish

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing about buying tickets from Korean travel agents is that they'll mostly just try to scam you. Package tour companies buy up huge blocks of tickets and then sell off the individual seats at the last minute if they can't fill them. So, you'll call a travel agent and they won't give you an exact price or confirm your seat until a week or so before the actual departure date. This is especially bad - and prevalant - around the dates you're wanting because that's the national vacation season (confounding your problems, everyone in Korea gets the same vacation, which further inflates the prices).
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do NOT buy tickets to/from Korea online. You can get much cheaper ones at travel agencies.

I paid $380 one-way from SFO to ICN, then $425 the following year. Cheapest I found online was about 100 bucks more.

Round-trip ticket to SFO from ICN, cost me 650,000 both times.

I should note that 3 of those 4 flights were in May and November. The 4th (for a whopping 425 bucks) was beginning of September.

Xanadu hooked me up with the flights home.

So Taegu girl, I'm not sure where you're looking, but there is no way you should pay that much for a ticket from CA to Korea. Forget websites, they suck; try travel agencies that specialize in intl. travel, or even better, ones that specialize in Asian travel.
pollyplummer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:10 am    Post subject: bought Reply with quote

Hey thanks for your help everyone. I ended up buying the ticket for $1100 from a small american travel agency online. I received the most convenient dates for travel, so I was happy with it. I know it doesnt sound like that great of a deal, but if anyone wants the name of this travel agent, I can give you her email and she can handle ticketing for you by email and just charge your credit card. She was quite friendly and helpful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: