Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking to get in shape?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
desultude

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Thanks for the effort. I'll be downloading them and trying them out.
Dan The Chainsawman

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey dudes and dudettes...

I am part of a lovely gym here in Ilsan, and despite the constant annoying attention by the training staff I love it.

However, I do have just one question...

Why do Koreans walk on running machines backwards?
Rock

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greekfreak wrote:
They're called 'wind sprints' I believe, and believe me they're all you need to carve out your hamstrings and gluts.

If you can find a 400m track, try sprinting for 80-100m on the straightaways, then walk or VERY lightly jog until the next straightaway. Repeat until you drop of sheer exhaustion. My personal best, I don't remember, but at my peak, I guess I could do about 20 sprints before calling it quits.

This is good info, but I'm thinking more cardiovascular in scope. I'm looking over the hill, body atrophying now, old gramps butt.

Isn't sprinting better for the heart than jogging?
FUBAR

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you guys smoking??? Sprinting is a terrible way for out of shape folks to get back into shape. Sudden short bursts of energy aren't going to do much to lose the pounds. Wind sprints aren't good either b/c they aren't for a sustained period of time.

A Fartlek is a decent way to go. But again, the sprinting method isn't exactly the way to approach things. Too much too soon is going to lead to blown out quads, hammys, groins, calves and many other injuries.

Continued later --- school power is going off for an hour.
Demonicat

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually many studies have shown that intreval training is the best way to approach weight loss. Slow continuous plodding is rough on the knees and other joints. Further, one isn;t going to blow out the hamstrings and glutes by doing too much too fast, if simply because they can't. A starting trainer can only go so far cardiovascularly and aerobically before stopping, and unless the trainer is blessed with an olympiates lungs and hearts but a fry-clerk's legs- they are going to stop waaaay before risk of injury to the legs.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
FUBAR

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demonicat wrote:
Actually many studies have shown that intreval training is the best way to approach weight loss. Slow continuous plodding is rough on the knees and other joints. Further, one isn;t going to blow out the hamstrings and glutes by doing too much too fast, if simply because they can't. A starting trainer can only go so far cardiovascularly and aerobically before stopping, and unless the trainer is blessed with an olympiates lungs and hearts but a fry-clerk's legs- they are going to stop waaaay before risk of injury to the legs.

Interval training is good. Sprint training isn't. That is the point I was trying to make.

Sprinting as a means of getting fit isn't a great idea unless the person knows what they are doing.
Demonicat

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

word man. Sorry , I misunderstood
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Thunndarr

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Interval training is good. Sprint training isn't. That is the point I was trying to make.

Sprinting as a means of getting fit isn't a great idea unless the person knows what they are doing.

Do a google search for high-intensity interval training, or HIIT. You might be surprised.
FUBAR

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunndarr wrote:
Quote:

Do a google search for high-intensity interval training, or HIIT. You might be surprised.

Ok... let me clarify. One of the posters was talking sprint training as in running. HIIT looks to be interval training on the bike. There's a big difference between hitting the bike hard for short intervals compared to running full out for 20 seconds.

For interval training on the bike, I think it's a great idea. As far as sprinting on the track to lose weight... Terrible idea, imo.
Thunndarr

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FUBAR wrote:
Thunndarr wrote:
Quote:

Ok... let me clarify. One of the posters was talking sprint training as in running. HIIT looks to be interval training on the bike. There's a big difference between hitting the bike hard for short intervals compared to running full out for 20 seconds.

For interval training on the bike, I think it's a great idea. As far as sprinting on the track to lose weight... Terrible idea, imo.

Read up on it. You might change your mind.
Keepongoing

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Here is my plan Reply with quote

nothing

Last edited by Keepongoing on Sun May 29, 2005 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Demonicat

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, to all you mass monsters and beautiful people-> I have confirmed it. Whey Protien (multiple brands) can be had at decent prices in the undergrond market of Namdaemun, I bought 5 K's of prolab for 40.000 (price is $30 in the states). Aslo they sell L-glutamine, Aminos, and creatine. Check them out! Note, please check the expiry dates. They are usually printed on the case.
FUBAR

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunndarr wrote:
FUBAR wrote:
Thunndarr wrote:
Quote:

Read up on it. You might change your mind.

For HIIT, I think they are missuing the word "Sprinting" when it comes to running. That's because to run at the the top speed on a treadmill for 30 seconds isn't sprinting. It's something that is called uptempo. Just the same as for their interval training on the track. (Which is called a fartlek)

Sprinting for 30 consecutive seconds is impossible to do (save top class runners). So, I say that HIIT can be effective, but HIIT wants to use a catch phrase like Sprint, when in reality it is Uptempo or 90% of maximum, since as I said before, 99% of people couldn't do that workout.

I would even say that alot of sprinters couldn't do that workout. That would equate to 250m sprinting, followed by 100m of jogging. Repeat 3 or 4 times and that would be a suicide workout.

My main problem is the wording with HIIT. I do think it could work with the machines at the health club. However, the chance for injury while running has a much greater risk than do the other methods. It is not something that could be attempted by a novice and expected to produce results.
Thunndarr

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hey, to all you mass monsters and beautiful people-> I have confirmed it. Whey Protien (multiple brands) can be had at decent prices in the undergrond market of Namdaemun, I bought 5 K's of prolab for 40.000 (price is $30 in the states).

Did you mean 5 kilograms or 5 pounds. That's a steal if it's 5 kg's, but when I was there, I only saw the prolab whey in the 5 lb tubs.
Demonicat

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5lbs, still a good deal- 'specially on the ROK

NOTE: they are NOT open on Sunday (possibly not on Satuday, but I don;t know)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: