Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Violence Against Women Rampant in Asia
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apple Scruff

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dulouz wrote:
I was/am active in Left over politics. I work marijuana campaigns when I can. I've worked with "The Marijuana Policy Project" and "Progressice Campaigns". Both were crooked beyond belief. The MMP people could at least shower and shave aside from file dozens of illegal affidavits. Progressive Campaigns Inc - PC Inc for short, had a "soap averse" company policy. I can handle smelly ...sort of but they also didn't like to pay people after they said they would. High falutin' falsities. It was so disgusting, so reprehensible, so vulgar. How dare stiff workers that make $.25 a sig? How dare stiff workers that make $.25 a sig and call your self "Progressive"? How dare you?

Yes, how dare they! Imagine working for a pro-drug campaign and getting stiffed out of the pay you expected! Those bastards are representative of the entire leftist spectrum, I bet! Lousy potheads!
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any South Africans in the room? Please tell me if the party that supported apartheid was also leftist.

My gut tells me dulouz just lumps everything he doesn't like under one label without understanding what any of it means.
guangho

Location: a spot full of deception, stupidity, and public micturation and thus unfit for longterm residency

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple Scruff wrote:
dulouz wrote:
I was/am active in Left over politics. I work marijuana campaigns when I can. I've worked with "The Marijuana Policy Project" and "Progressice Campaigns". Both were crooked beyond belief. The MMP people could at least shower and shave aside from file dozens of illegal affidavits. Progressive Campaigns Inc - PC Inc for short, had a "soap averse" company policy. I can handle smelly ...sort of but they also didn't like to pay people after they said they would. High falutin' falsities. It was so disgusting, so reprehensible, so vulgar. How dare stiff workers that make $.25 a sig? How dare stiff workers that make $.25 a sig and call your self "Progressive"? How dare you?

Yes, how dare they! Imagine working for a pro-drug campaign and getting stiffed out of the pay you expected! Those bastards are representative of the entire leftist spectrum, I bet! Lousy potheads!

Now now...maybe they just spaced out and totally forgot to deposit the check or something. Don't have a cow man...you're, like, totally harshing my mellow. Dude.

(EDIT: I once worked for the Working Families party in Brooklyn. Reliable those fellas were not. I spent more time hanging around their Atlantic Ave office trying to squeeze my salary out of them than I did actually campaigning for their candidates.)
Big_Bird

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucheon bum wrote:
Big_Bird wrote:
bucheon bum wrote:
troll. why you guys respond to this idiot is beyond me.

But you just did. Wink

nope, responding to your responses. Wink

Ah, but by doing so, you are indirectly responding to him. So there. Razz
Big_Bird

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guangho wrote:
A Minneapolis project was founded in 1979 at the prompting of women in shelters who said they wanted to go back to their partners if they would stop battering. Counselors have found that men resort to violence because they want to control their partners, and they know they can get away with it--unlike in other relationships. "A lot of people experience low impulse control, fear of abandonment, alcohol and drug addiction, all the characteristics of a batterer," says Ellen Pence, training coordinator for the Domestic Abuse Intervention Project in Duluth. "However, the same guy is not beating up his boss."

Thanks guangho for that interesting article. A lot of the neocons gracing the board love to draw attention to the dreadful way women are treated in other parts of the world. Of course they don't really give a toss about these women, rather it is a nice stick to beat their opponents over the head with. The fact is that domestic violence is still considered a trivial issue by many in the west and we have a long looooooong way to go to toward addressing the attitudes of many men, and society in general.

Something to chew on: Men who kill their partners tend to do so after having subjected them to abuse for many years. Women who kill their partners tend to do so after having suffered terrible abuse for many years. Men are far more likely to go free (and have lighter sentences) than women who kill their partners.
bigverne

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Men are far more likely to go free (and have lighter sentences) than women who kill their partners.

I assume you have evidence to back up this claim.
Big_Bird

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigverne wrote:
Quote:
Men are far more likely to go free (and have lighter sentences) than women who kill their partners.

I assume you have evidence to back up this claim.

Not off hand, but over the years I've read it in several articles and first became aware of this fact after watching a TV documentary about 10 years ago. With a hungry babe to feed and entertain, I don't have much time to do it myself right now but I'm sure if you want to take the time, you can google some evidence up to that effect. One of the factors in the sentencing is that men can sucessfully kill a woman with his bare hands, so he can strangle her, or bludgeon her and then his lawyer can claim that he did it on the spur of the moment. He can get off with manslaughter. A woman has to plan her murder, or kill him when he's sleeping. So it goes down as first degree murder.
bigverne

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
He can get off with manslaughter. A woman has to plan her murder, or kill him when he's sleeping. So it goes down as first degree murder.

Seems fair enough to me. Do you think the category of manslaughter should be gotten rid of?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: