Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cheney Scoffs at Amnesty International
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apple Scruff

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Cheney Scoffs at Amnesty International Reply with quote

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/US/05/30/cheney.amnestyintl/index.html

Quote:
Cheney offended by Amnesty criticism

Rights group accuses U.S. of violations at Guantanamo Bay
Tuesday, May 31, 2005 Posted: 0052 GMT (0852 HKT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Vice President Dick Cheney said Monday he was offended by Amnesty International's condemnation of the United States for what it called "serious human rights violations" at Guantanamo Bay.

"For Amnesty International to suggest that somehow the United States is a violator of human rights, I frankly just don't take them seriously," he said in an interview that was to air Monday night on CNN's "Larry King Live."

Amnesty International was scathing last week in its criticism of the way the United States has run the detention center at its naval base in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

"We have documented that the U.S. government is a leading purveyor and practitioner of the odious human rights violation," William Schulz, executive director of Amnesty International USA, said Wednesday.

On its Web site, the London, England-based human rights group says: "As evidence of torture and widespread cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment mounts, it is more urgent than ever that the U.S. government bring the Guantanamo Bay detention camp and any other facilities it is operating outside the USA into full compliance with international law and standards. The only alternative is to close them down."

The vice president said the United States has freed millions of people from oppression.

"I think the fact of the matter is, the United States has done more to advance the cause of freedom, has liberated more people from tyranny over the course of the 20th century and up to the present day than any other nation in the history of the world," he said.

"Just in this administration, we've liberated 50 million people from the Taliban in Afghanistan and from Saddam Hussein in Iraq, two terribly repressive regimes that slaughtered hundreds of thousands of their own people."

Cheney denied American wrongdoing at the detention facility at Guantanamo Bay, which Amnesty International compared to a "gulag."

"Guantanamo's been operated, I think, in a very sane and sound fashion by the U.S. military. ... I think these people have been well treated, treated humanely and decently," Cheney said. "Occasionally there are allegations of mistreatment.

"But if you trace those back, in nearly every case, it turns out to come from somebody who has been inside and been released ... to their home country and now are peddling lies about how they were treated."

Schulz responded to Cheney's comments: "It doesn't matter whether he takes Amnesty International seriously.

"He doesn't take torture seriously; he doesn't take the Geneva Convention seriously; he doesn't take due process rights seriously; and he doesn't take international law seriously.

"And that is more important than whether he takes Amnesty International seriously."

On Thursday, the commander of the Guantanamo Bay detention center said an investigation had identified five incidents in which the Quran appears to have been mishandled by his personnel.

But Brig. Gen. Jay Hood said he has found "no credible evidence" that personnel at the military prison flushed a Quran in a toilet.
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not surprised he's offended. "International" is a 4-letter word in the VeeP's vocabulary.
igotthisguitar

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya-ta Boy wrote:
I'm not surprised he's offended. "International" is a 4-letter word in the VeeP's vocabulary.

I don't think anyone is all that surprised. Who would be ???

Where political psychopaths like DICK are concerned, dodging accountability is the name of the game.

SHAME.
dogbert

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should keep Gitmo going if for no other reason than the possibility that Cheney and Rumsfeld will be inmates there someday.
jaganath69

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogbert wrote:
They should keep Gitmo going if for no other reason than the possibility that Cheney and Rumsfeld will be inmates there someday.

I always had you pegged as a GOP man Dbert, now I am all confused.
dogbert

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaganath69 wrote:
dogbert wrote:

Nope.

You and I know each other IRL -- I think we're both on the same page.

The U.S. has no business engaging in the wholesale slaughter of Arabs/Muslims.
jaganath69

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogbert wrote:
jaganath69 wrote:
dogbert wrote:

Nope.

You and I know each other IRL -- I think we're both on the same page.

The U.S. has no business engaging in the wholesale slaughter of Arabs/Muslims.

Hehehehe, the third party that dare not speak its name?
funplanet

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"wholesale slaughter of Arabs/Muslims"???? I think the Arabs/Muslims are doing a pretty good job of slaughtering themselves...
funplanet

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seriously want to believe everything these ex-prisoners and detainees are telling Amnesty??? get f* real....

first of all, they are trained to make allegations of mistreatment through the spread of false reports to journalists, publications, and AI and the IRC...

The Brits recently raided a cell in Manchester, UK and found one of the AQ training manuals directing them (terrorists) to "spread rumours and write statements that instigate people against the enemy."

and if captured, "at the beginning of the trial the brothers must insist on proving that torture was inflicted on them by the state security before the judge. Complain of mistreatment while in prison."

the handbook instructs the commanders to make sure the "soldiers" have "assimilated it (instructions)."

if you bozos want to take the AI reports as the word of God, do so at your own risk...my money is on AI and the IRC being duped....and it wouldn't be the first time...

gotta remember the template here, folks....anything that makes George Bush and America look bad is GOOD NEWS!
Nowhere Man

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 6:28 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Funnyboy,

You will look like an ass when the torture at Guantanamo is confirmed.

And that's really just a matter of time.

Hoot all you want. Talk about other things like Cheney.

Wrongdoing? Yes. Absolutely.

Traitor.
supernick

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You seriously want to believe everything these ex-prisoners and detainees are telling Amnesty??? get f* real....

And why should anyone believe anything that comes out of the mouth of Bush and the boys?

If these people who have been detained are serious killers, then why haven't they been charged? They are only detainies who are being held to extract information. I say, bring up charges, put them on trial and have the sentences handed down. You Americans talk about justice as if it's all that matters, but now you seem to not want it. You don't know why they are being held, and you seem to think that since they are being held that they are already guilty, but you really don't know, so I think you should take your head out of your ass.

What are these people? Are they ex-detainees or ex-prisoners? I don't think you know the difference, and I don't think you care. You're just one of those sorry sods who thinks that America can do what it wants because you aint gonna lay on your back to watch planes fly into buildings.

Get revenge by joining the forces there Funplanet. I'm sure you'll love it getting a chance to share in a little pay back.

How can we trust anything that is found by intelligence officers of the UK or the US? Don't you know how they got it all wron before. We heard for almost a year from your dear leader about what a threat Saddam was, and some of you still believe what was never there.

Come back next time and excuse your county's intelligence before you start telling us not to believe ex-detaintees.

There wil be many more accusations of abuses diected towards the US. They are believeable because the US has done it before and not just in one location and not just by a "few bad apples". So far more than 100 soldiers have been brought up on charges, and I would say that's a pretty high number. Also consider that many others have not been charged but have faced other forms of disipline.
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And why should anyone believe anything that comes out of the mouth of Bush and the boys?

You Americans talk about justice as if it's all that matters, but now you seem to not want it. You don't know why they are being held, and you seem to think that since they are being held that they are already guilty, but you really don't know, so I think you should take your head out of your ass.

Why the switch from 'Bush and the boys' to the personal pronoun?
wannago

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

supernick wrote:
Quote:

If these people who have been detained are serious killers, then why haven't they been charged? They are only detainies who are being held to extract information. I say, bring up charges, put them on trial and have the sentences handed down. You Americans talk about justice as if it's all that matters, but now you seem to not want it. You don't know why they are being held, and you seem to think that since they are being held that they are already guilty, but you really don't know, so I think you should take your head out of your ass.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Oh my, the temper tantrums are abundant on the 'ol board today! I love it when Canadians (or whatever the *beep* you call yourself today) talk about Americans.

Here, let me try. You Canadians talk about your southern neighbor as if they've never done anything for you....oh, except protect your worthless asses while you maintain a skeleton military force. I think Canada needs to be bitch slapped. Now, is that nice of me to say that? It may be how I feel but do I have enough information to justify saying that? Hey, maybe you've had bad experiences with some U.S. military personnel. I've had bad experiences with some Canadians. Maybe you're just a moron.

You are right in that the investigations should proceed and sentences, if merited, should be handed down. But for people to want some sort of proof before going off on a temper tantrum like you do is certainly understandable. It's an international sport now to blame the U.S. for everything. Certainly some criticism is justified but assigning blame just because you don't like Americans is just plain stupid. I would expect nothing less from you. I hope you feel better soon!
Apple Scruff

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wannago wrote:
Oh my, the temper tantrums are abundant on the 'ol board today! I love it when Canadians (or whatever the *beep* you call yourself today) talk about Americans.

You can call us "Daddy".

wannago wrote:
Here, let me try. You Canadians talk about your southern neighbor as if they've never done anything for you....oh, except protect your worthless asses while you maintain a skeleton military force. I think Canada needs to be *beep* slapped.

Protected from what? The only nation that ever tried to invade Canada was, uh.....let me see....oh yeah - YOU! Now you "protect" us by default because you wuv us so much. *kiss*

wannago wrote:
Now, is that nice of me to say that? It may be how I feel but do I have enough information to justify saying that? Hey, maybe you've had bad experiences with some U.S. military personnel. I've had bad experiences with some Canadians. Maybe you're just a moron.

You are right in that the investigations should proceed and sentences, if merited, should be handed down. But for people to want some sort of proof before going off on a temper tantrum like you do is certainly understandable. It's an international sport now to blame the U.S. for everything. Certainly some criticism is justified but assigning blame just because you don't like Americans is just plain stupid. I would expect nothing less from you. I hope you feel better soon!

Bush gave the finger to the world when he went into Iraq. He escalated a nuclear arms race with North Korea and Iran by using three simple words. He's giving more money to rich people and none to anyone else. He violates the first amendment in every waking moment of his presidency. He's wiping his ass with environmental laws. He incites fear in people to make them do his bidding. So America re-elects him. Are you looking for sympathy now? Bite me (with my heart-felt sympathies to the roughly 50 million people who voted to the other guy). If you don't like it - tough. We're only itty bitty Canadians anyway. What do you care, cowboy? Grab a Bud, give your Hee-Haw DVD a spin, and enjoy the ride!
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Protected from what?

I think wannago's refering to that time back in the early 40's of the last century when the US Navy patrolled the Western Atlantic before the US entered the war. But let him speak for himself. He's good at that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: