Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Photocopy of my return ticket.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philipjames

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 7:11 pm    Post subject: Photocopy of my return ticket. Reply with quote

My school wants the return ticket that they purchased for my flight here. I promised to give it to them, but I want the security of knowing that I can get on a flight if the school screws me over. If I make a photocopy of my return ticket, is that good enough to get me on a flight?

Thanks.
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that is not good enough to get you on a flight.

And, if you made such a promise and back-tracked, you are a naughty boy indeed. Unless you have reason to believe that they will screw you over.

Having said that, I see no problem in giving the ticket to your boss, if you have the courage to ask him/her for it if they start to break to screw you over.

Remember, it is against the law for them to keep you prisoner in Korea because they also sign a contract with the government sponsoring you.
EFL Teacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make a copy of your ticket. The copy itself won't get you onto a flight, but it will enable you to get the ticket reissued, if need be. Just claim that you lost the original but fortunately made a copy.

Personal experience...
igotthisguitar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>. My advice is simple ... DO NOT return your ticket !!! Surprised I dunno bout this photocopy thing but recently i had to endure some intense "negotiations" with my Director as he opted to "terminate" my contract after 10 months. As it stands, it looks like i'll now receive 1/2 of my severance and ( because i never surrendered it ) keep my return ticket. If i HAD happily handed it over upon my arrival, you can imagine after close to a year, the position i'd have been facing Crying or Very sad

Be VERY careful & do NOT give your Director a blank cheque of your blind faith & trust Idea
W.T.Carl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make the copy. Things can go "south" rather quickly, and if they do you should always have your butt covered.
The Donkey

Location: Somewhere drinking, smoking and using foul language

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give it back to him. Then go down to the police station and file a report that you lost the ticket. Then go to the airline office (Korean Air has one in Gangnam) and show them your police report and they will give you a new ticket for no $. This way your hagwon can not turn in your ticket for the cash, and you have a ticket to go back home on.

Maybe morally I am wrong on this on but then again, the level of I've been screwed by Koreans is very high.

Just a suggestion
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
I'm with the others on this... a ticket is just a piece of paper it's the name who's on the ticket that's important. If the hagwon owners want some sort of bizzare piece of mind/power I say let em have it.

Just make sure you get a non transterable ticket, to cover your butt.

Also agree with donkey, while my boss may have my ticket I know that because it's issued in my name (it's also a non transferable one) I've got all the reference numbers etc.. so if I get stuck I have 'lost' my ticket and then hop on a plane..

CLG

Last edited by crazylemongirl on Thu May 01, 2003 5:31 am; edited 1 time in total
The Donkey

Location: Somewhere drinking, smoking and using foul language

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because the ticket is in your name or says non transferable/non refundable, doesnt mean squat. If they buy it they can get credit for it or get cash for it.

Make sure if you give it to him you get your ass down to the police station and to the travel agent and get a new one issued. CYA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: