Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

weird white people smell?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the_beaver

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:55 pm    Post subject: weird white people smell? Reply with quote

I'm not saying that all white people smell dirty, and I'm not saying that those that do smell bad because they don't wash. But, I shower every day and soap my pits vigourously. Yet, over the years more than a few Korean women have told me that I have a distinctive (they stressed not bad, but I'm not sure whether or not to believe that) aroma (fortunately only detectable when a nose is very near my skin). Sniff as I might I can't detect it (except in the pits after a long day).

However, I can sometimes sniff it on other white people. I was standing on the subway one day and I smelled a white person. There was a white guy standing at the other end of the train but I thought he'd be to far away so I was puzzled. However, eventually I noticed the person sitting in front of me was white (I know I know -- you'd think I'd notice something so obvious, but I guess I had my mind on other things). I would estimate the distance from him to my nose to have been a good meter. That's a pretty good aroma halo if you ask me.

I've also met a few people over the years (thankfully, just a few) who say: "I don't shower every day. I don't need to." Trust me, you do. You just can't smell yourself.

Anyway, smelly or not, have a good day.
itaewonguy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 9:01 pm    Post subject: yeah yeah Reply with quote

I hear ya dude..
funny thing is the sweat compared to back home stinks more here..
must be the food I dont know..
I shower everyday, too but after working all day or drinking in the bars or dancing you work up a funky smell!! but the smells are different to back home dont know why!
just stick with the deoderants man.. everything should be cool..
P.S what LIKE KOREANS DONT STINK!!
every human stinks!
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's diet.

Human tissue completely renews itself every 7 years. So any cell that grew 7 years ago no longer exists anymore.

Because we have different diets, the cells grow from completely different protein structures. When the proteins break down and die, they smell different.

Any westerner who has been here 7 years or more will smell like any other Korean unless he/she is eating primarily a western diet in which case they won't smell any different than you or I.
Tiberious aka Sparkles

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also been documented (somewhere; whattya think I am, some link bearing fairy? do yer own research!) that different races each have distict smells.

The big joke is that white people smell like brocolli.

Sparkles *_* (smells like rhubarb)
FierceInvalid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A less kind analogy I heard is that white people smell like wet dogs, but I think that might only be when it rains, I can't remember.
The Donkey

Location: Somewhere drinking, smoking and using foul language

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont worry about your stink...have you smelled a Korean lately? Kimchied up and garliced down.
When I first came here, I was at my hagwon and one of the korean teachers asked me what the white stuff was on the bottom of my shirt (tracked some deodorant from my pit to the shirt) I told her what it was. She said "we dont use deodorant." I said I know, and asked why. "because we dont smell here" It took alot to stop me from laughing in her face.
mokpochica

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that some Koreans don't sweat much though. And I notice that my sweat leaves yellow stains and my (Korean) boyfriend's sweat hardly stains at all. And his sweat is almost odorless. Lucky.

Maybe it's just him, but I don't think so.

BTW I shower and wash my clothes regularly trying to get rid of my white person smelliness. Wink
Rand Al Thor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mokpochica wrote:
I think that some Koreans don't sweat much though. And I notice that my sweat leaves yellow stains and my (Korean) boyfriend's sweat hardly stains at all. And his sweat is almost odorless. Lucky.

My wife barely sweats, and even then I haven't detected an odor. I however have noticed a very bad odor from Koreans in the past.

Showering is important. I do it twice a day.
princess

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard Koreans say that whites smell like cheese, ketchup and hamburgers. Well, Koreans eat those things,too. I have heard whites say Koreans smell like kimchi and garlic and onions. I eat kimchi, garlic, and onions and I hardly touch burgers. I have had no problems attracting white or Korean men. So, I guess some folks just naturally stink no matter what. I personally have never noticed these food smells on people. I just think some folks exaggerate. I had two Korean boyfriends and I never thought they smelled like kimchi. I have never thought whites smell like cheese. I eat a lot of onions and gralic and somene in the states told me I would stink like onions if I did not stop eating them. So stupid and not true.
rapier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the earlier post, its mainly diet- related. Sometimes I'm in a bus or subway carriage and the air is pure kimchi methane.
When i lived in Holland i had a noticeably different scent to anywhere else.
Where I grew up in Zimbabwe, blacks used to say whites smelled like pigs. But then again things were racially tense, and we had a different diet to them mostly. They largely used a certain type of carbolic soap which was quite pungent. Indians again had a noticeably different smell, probably because they ate a lot of spicy foods and smoked their houses out with incense burners all day.
Its true, different races tend to smell different, but its probably diet.
waterbaby

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mokpochica wrote:

I have been doing Taekwondo in Korea for well over year now after training in Karate in Australia for a number of years. The first thing that blew me away about TKD (apart from those snazzy jumping spinning kicks) was that the jaeyukwon (gym) didn't smell! I was in a room with 20 to 25 people (middle school and upwards, mostly male) exercising intensively for over an hour a day, wearing the same dobok every day ... and no smell Surprised In Australia, I would open the door to the dojo (gym) and whoooof! The reek of sweat would just hit me. It was so awful, coupled with cheesy feet, that it made me seriously consider why I was doing the sport.

My husband is Korean and he sweats a lot but he doesn't smell (of sweat, that is)... ever! It's so weird. Garlic on the other hand is another story... He uses deodorant now. "Just because," he says. I reckon he's just trying to be more ozzie Wink
mokpochica

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pyongshin Sangja wrote:
I smell like moldy alleyways and unwashed panties.

Sexy. You could probably sell things you wore from vending machines in Japanese subway stations.
sillywilly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im all scared now. Noone ever told me I smelled though and I have asked Koreans to let me know if I stink.. On the topic of smells.. I the summer time, my son ( who is white) smells like his hair has been burnt... I HAVE met Koreans who smelled but some foreigners.. WOO! Maybe we just get desensitized to Korean smells which are just as present and more attuned to the different smell ( not being able to smell ourselves ) of other foreigners.. wich we wouldn't notice in our hoem countries cause we would be desensitized...Well, i think I am going to wear more perfume..

On the subject of smells and taekwondo gyms... I happen to love the smell of fresh sweat on men.. OK thats not trying to sound all cyber-sexy.. I'm just trying to let you guys know that when you first come in from excercising, not every woman wants you to jump right in the shower.. Let me be clear about this.. fresh sweat! It must be a phermone thing. Actually, come to think of it.. i did smell a Korean guy once right after he had just been excercising... again, it was present but good!

By the way.. why can I never smell garlic on anyone's breath here? Is it desensitization? Because I can't remember having smelled garlic on anyone's breath when I first arrived, either.
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

now i'm all curious what i smell like...
Tiberious aka Sparkles

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never noticed any garlic/kimchi smell on Koreans. Then again, aside from my wife, I've never gone up to one and sniffed them. But, I have smelled -- used to be every day -- that rancid, soju soaked old man stench on the city's subways and buses.

(side rant)
A nation of alcoholics. As much as you might label me an apologist, I will stand firmly by that last generalization. When you have characters in every major TV sitcom/drama getting drunk off soju et al, it can give you a general impression of what people (usually children) are going to grow up and emulate.

Again, a nation of alcoholics.
(end side rant)

I've already made known my perverted affection for the scent of perspiring young ladies. That smell is heavenly and should be marketed.

Sparkles*_* (smells like Old Spice)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: