Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FIFA Stands for....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
panthermodern

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overtime ... The only answer.

Quote:
Today's Question:

A skate to remember --> What was the longest NHL hockey game ever played?

The Answer:

NHL games can't end in a tie in the playoffs, so the teams have to keep playing until there is a winner. The longest game ever played was in Montreal on March 24, 1956. It was game one of the semifinal round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs between Detroit and Montreal. It ended when Detroit's Mud Bruneteau scored the game's only goal in the sixth overtime period after 176 minutes and 30 seconds of game play
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Swiss James

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were part of whichever football governing body, would you really be trawling for ideas from a Canadian minority pasttime to 'improve' the most popular sport in the world?
eamo

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've grown to enjoy the penalty shoot-out. When it's a big, important game the penalty shoot-out is just the most tense thing you'll watch that year.

Also, it's not just a blind luck thing. Taking penalties requires some skill on the part of the taker and the keeper. These days a lot of footie managers are setting aside training time for penalty taking. It's one of the skills of the game.

Keep it in I say. It works.
the_beaver

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eamo wrote:
I've grown to enjoy the penalty shoot-out. When it's a big, important game the penalty shoot-out is just the most tense thing you'll watch that year.

Also, it's not just a blind luck thing. Taking penalties requires some skill on the part of the taker and the keeper. These days a lot of footie managers are setting aside training time for penalty taking. It's one of the skills of the game.

I say if it was skill, Korea never would have beaten Italy.
eamo

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_beaver wrote:
eamo wrote:

I say if it was skill, Korea never would have beaten Italy.

It's a combination of things. Mental strength as well. But still, you have to be able to strike the ball well to put it cleanly in the top corner. The perfect penalty.
Swiss James

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an element to the kind of rock/scissors/paper mindgames when trying to outwit the keeper, which I guess is what people are talking about when they scoff at penalties as a lottery.
But yeah, most amateur players would take a lot of attempts to hit anything like a 'postage stamp' penalty even without the added pressure that's normally on those situations.
Konundrum

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there is a "rock/paper/scissors" element to shoot outs, but there are also shots that are absolutely unstoppable...which takes a lot of skill. It's usually guys trying to make that shot that miss or hit the bar and end up costing the match.
And you can hardly compare hockey to soccer...the sheer number of shots in hockey make the biggest difference. The law of averages alone points to someone scoring eventually. Hockey players have shifts and don't have to travel 50+ yards to get even near the net.
Shootouts in soccer are necessary due to the nature of the game.
trigger123

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konundrum wrote:

thankyou and goodnight
Pyongshin Sangja

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you were part of whichever football governing body, would you really be trawling for ideas from a Canadian minority pasttime to 'improve' the most popular sport in the world?

James, the man in the white shirt wants to talk to you:

Yaya

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trigger123 wrote:
Konundrum wrote:

thankyou and goodnight

Geez, I guess if basketball was invented in Europe, we'd still see peach baskets, no dribbling and the like all for the sake of preserving the essence, bla bla bla.

Wonder why Euros can't go the distance like the N. Americans.
Swiss James

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pyongshin Sangja wrote:
Quote:

James, the man in the white shirt wants to talk to you:

Oh so that's how you settle a game of ice-hockey- I always end up switching off the TV before the final whistle.
Greekfreak

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of simply extra time until there's a conclusive winner. Had Korea and Italy played without a Golden Goal, Italy would still have lost; they were knackered out by the 70th minute. And they still would have bitched about losing.

Of course the players would balk at running around for what could conveiveably be a miniature eternity, but think of the games that would come out of them!

That Portugal/England Euro game was one of the best of the tournament, and the only crappy thing was the shootout. Why are they in such a rush to end the game? Because Will & Grace come on next?
Hagwon Muppet

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaya wrote:
trigger123 wrote:
Konundrum wrote:

thankyou and goodnight

Geez, I guess if basketball was invented in Europe, we'd still see peach baskets, no dribbling and the like all for the sake of preserving the essence, bla bla bla.

If basketball was invented in Europe it would be dead now because its pointless sport played by physical freaks.

If you want to talk about luck over skill and going the distance then can anyone tell me what the point of the first 99% of a basketball match is since everything is normally decided in the last 30 seconds!
Hagwon Muppet

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greekfreak wrote:
I like the idea of simply extra time until there's a conclusive winner. Had Korea and Italy played without a Golden Goal, Italy would still have lost; they were knackered out by the 70th minute. And they still would have *beep* about losing.

Of course the players would balk at running around for what could conveiveably be a miniature eternity, but think of the games that would come out of them!

That Portugal/England Euro game was one of the best of the tournament, and the only crappy thing was the shootout. Why are they in such a rush to end the game? Because Will & Grace come on next?

Nononono!! The BEST THING ABOUT THAT GAME WAS THE PENALTIES! Particularly Beckham launching a new satellite.
jaganath69

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaya wrote:
trigger123 wrote:
Konundrum wrote:

thankyou and goodnight

Just because your sports are targetted at fans with the attention spans of kiddies with ADD, doesn't mean we all want it that way. You keep what's yours, we`ll keep what's ours and by that I mean true world sports like rugby and cricket as well. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: