Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newsweek withdraws Koran report
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rok_the-boat

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Newsweek withdraws Koran report Reply with quote

Does anyone smell a rat here? Is politics reigning in the media?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4553639.stm
Cthulhu

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's 15 dead Afghanis over it. I don't smell any rat, but what I see is a news organization that is doing its best not to feel guilty about screwing up over a source.
Summer Wine

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on, anyone could have seen that publishing that news piece was not the brightest of ideas. But the cats out of the bag and its not likely to ever be let back in.

Though the US could take 3 death row inmates, hand them over to the Islamic council in Pakistan, tell them they are the interrogaters, watch them get torn apart and say problem over. (Just Kidding).

Accept it, this news piece is more likely to become an accepted part of muslim (folklore) in Muslim nations then die away a forgotton piece of a supposed publishing mistake.
igotthisguitar

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>. Big time damage control ...
rok_the-boat

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - I don't see it as screwing up over a source. At the time the source gave the info, it was just plain old info and he likely thought little of it. Now that it has blown up in his face he seems - unsure - about it. A likely story, indeed. And such backtracking under political pressure will only infuriate the muslims further, although it might makethe Pentagon feel a bit better.

And even if the story were false, I don't see how you could easily backtrack out of it.

The truth is not out there, it seems.
Derrek

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First Rather at CBS, and now Newsweek.

This is hardly Bushie controlling the media. This is the media digging their own trashy left-wing hole, then falling into it.

I hope Newsweek is damaged severely, and loses subscribers, but I doubt that will happen.
Cthulhu

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sorry - I don't see it as screwing up over a source. At the time the source gave the info, it was just plain old info and he likely thought little of it. Now that it has blown up in his face he seems - unsure - about it. A likely story, indeed. And such backtracking under political pressure will only infuriate the muslims further, although it might makethe Pentagon feel a bit better.

15 dead people over a story that his been retracted and apologized for--that seems pretty screwed up to me.
Wangja

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"People have lost their lives. Our image abroad has been damaged," he said.

That is from Rumsfeld. Pleasing though it is that he can recognise the importance of life, I cannot help but feel that it is the second part that is the motivator.

Mind you, his recognition of that fact that the image of the USA abroad is important is a useful first step. Perhaps the next will be to see just how much that image has been tarnished by this administration.
rok_the-boat

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derrek wrote:
I hope Newsweek is damaged severely, and loses subscribers, but I doubt that will happen.

It'll certainly boost the number of readers this week.
Cthulhu

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wanja quoted:

Quote:
"People have lost their lives. Our image abroad has been damaged," he said.

Yes, Rumsfeld did say that. Oh, the irony is delicious.
mithridates

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even more ironic, in fact. Here's the rest of the quote:

Quote:
"People lost their lives. People are dead," Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said. "People need to be very careful about what they say, just as they need to be careful about what they do."
On the other hand

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pro-war Andrew Sullivan has summed this all up better than I ever could:

Quote:
We have yet to see what's at the root, if anything, of the Newsweek story. But I think it's telling that some bloggers have devoted much, much more energy to covering the Newsweek error than they ever have to covering any sliver of the widespread evidence of detainee abuse that made the Newsweek piece credible in the first place. A simple question: after U.S. interrogators have tortured over two dozen detainees to death, after they have wrapped one in an Israeli flag, after they have smeared naked detainees with fake menstrual blood, after they have told one detainee to "*beep* Allah," after they have ordered detainees to pray to Allah in order to kick them from behind in the head, is it completely beyond credibility that they would also have desecrated the Koran? Yes, Newsweek bears complete responsibility for any errors it has made; and, depending on what we now find, should not be let off the hook. But the outrage from the White House is beyond belief. It seems to me particularly worrying if this incident further intimidates the press from seeking the truth about what the government is doing in the war on terror. It is not being "basically, on the side of the enemy," as Glenn Reynolds calls it, to resist the notion of government-sanctioned torture and to report on it. It is patriotism and serving the cause that this war is about: religious pluralism and tolerance. The media's Abu Ghraib?? When Mike Isikoff is found guilty of committing murder, give me a call. Austin Bay still insists that Abu Ghraib did not constitute "deadly torture." The corpses found there (photographed by grinning U.S. soldiers) would probably disagree. (Will Bay correct?) Three factors interacted here: media error/bias, Islamist paranoia, and a past and possibly current policy of religiously-intolerant torture. No one comes out looking good. But it seems to me unquestionable that the documented abuse of religion in interrogation practices is by far the biggest scandal. Too bad the blogosphere is too media-obsessed and self-congratulatory to notice.
rok_the-boat

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's more:

http://dailykos.com/story/2005/5/15/211444/985

The plot thickens ...

It would be quite something if the media too a second about turn on this ... methinks it could happen.
Joo Rip Gwa Rhhee

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course the US should be better than that but the overseas protesters at least the ones that support Bin Laden are hypocrites

Anyone remember this?

Kuros

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely ridiculous! How is Newsweek responsible for those deaths? They print a report and some people murder others. Do we think for one second that the report is the cause of the murders, or the murderers' unrestrained rage is the cause?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: