Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cheney Scoffs at Amnesty International
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R. S. Refugee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogbert wrote:
R. S. Refugee wrote:
jaganath69 wrote:
dogbert wrote:
They should keep Gitmo going if for no other reason than the possibility that Cheney and Rumsfeld will be inmates there someday.

I always had you pegged as a GOP man Dbert, now I am all confused.

There are some anti-imperialist conservatives don'tcha know. Like Pat Buchanan and (being presumptuous here) dogbert.

Some call them paleo-conservatives as contrasted to the neocons. The very conservative former congressman Bob Barr is, if I recall correctly, currently working for the American Civil Liberties Union and actively campaigning against the Patriot Act.

The anti-imperialist liberals and the anti-imperialist conservatives may disagree strenuously on issues like universal health care, but that doesn't mean we can't agree on opposing an imperialist foreign policy.

That's how coalitions are formed.

I agree. And right now I think that the direction in which the current administration has taken the country is fundamentally a far far more important concern than the other policy issues on which we may disagree.

And I agree also, dogbert. That's why I try (with substantial effort) to avoid insulting potential allies on the basis of issues where we might disagree. (I generally use socialized universal health care as my example.)

However, in the case of true believers who will support and cheer for any inhumane form of torture or any atrocity against innocent people or suspects while blaming their victims for the persecution, I am less charitable. They are much closer to the kind of messianic violence that drives fascism and they are the most dangerous people there are (in my opinion) whether they are Muslim fundamentalists or secular torturers of the occupation forces. There are several people on this forum with such a mentality and I would never want to go out for beers and argue politics with them. I would enjoy doing that with you even knowing that we would only agree on a limited number of issues and would probably end up having a heated argument about some issues. That's OK with me. I could enjoy having many heated arguments with you, which I believe is one of the true signs of civilized people.

Cheers.
funplanet

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, scruffy...you've got shit for brains
Apple Scruff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

funplanet wrote:
well, scruffy...you've got *beep* for brains

I like how you turned that one around on me. Well played.
dogbert

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

R. S. Refugee wrote:
And I agree also, dogbert. That's why I try (with substantial effort) to avoid insulting potential allies on the basis of issues where we might disagree. (I generally use socialized universal health care as my example.)

Just between you and me, I don't deny that there is urgent need for health care reform of some kind and I believe there are some conservative politicians who are coming around to acknowledge this.

The ability and willingness of a society to care for those of its members in need should not be ideological, I believe.

R. S. Refugee wrote:
However, in the case of true believers who will support and cheer for any inhumane form of torture or any atrocity against innocent people or suspects while blaming their victims for the persecution, I am less charitable. They are much closer to the kind of messianic violence that drives fascism and they are the most dangerous people there are (in my opinion) whether they are Muslim fundamentalists or secular torturers of the occupation forces. There are several people on this forum with such a mentality and I would never want to go out for beers and argue politics with them. I would enjoy doing that with you even knowing that we would only agree on a limited number of issues and would probably end up having a heated argument about some issues. That's OK with me. I could enjoy having many heated arguments with you, which I believe is one of the true signs of civilized people.

Cheers.

Regardless of ideology, all sides should acknowledge that such behavior creates moral rot at the core of our state. That they do not is truly troubling, not to mention the horror of the actual carnage visited upon those our government has condemned.
sundubuman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go Rummy Go!!!!

Comapring gitmo to a Soviet gulag just shows how far off into outer space the naive left has flown.

My bet is that a one-an-ten debate between Rumsfeld and a PANEL of Amnesty folks would be won quite easily by the Secretery.
dogbert

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sundubuman wrote:
Go Rummy Go!!!!

Comapring gitmo to a Soviet gulag just shows how far off into outer space the naive left has flown.

My bet is that a one-an-ten debate between Rumsfeld and a PANEL of Amnesty folks would be won quite easily by the Secretery.

By what? The power of his smirk?

Rumsfeld could have equally defended KZ Lagers just as facilely.
hypnotist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogbert wrote:
sundubuman wrote:
Go Rummy Go!!!!

By what? The power of his smirk?

Rumsfeld could have equally defended KZ Lagers just as facilely.

Nah, he'd name them a threat to National Security and send them off to Gitmo.

What next, banning phones on planes? http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/06/01/fbi_opposes_air_mobiles/
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Joo Rip Gwa Rhhee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is wrong w/ the US banning phones on planes?

Rumsfeld would probably win anyway.

As we know (from an earlier thread ) many of the anti Bush (not you Hyp) people are so dumb and obnoxious that they were not able to convince people not to vote for Bush.

Rumsfeld would win just on that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: