Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting pages added to the passport

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Badmojo

Location: I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Getting pages added to the passport Reply with quote

Okay, two questions.

Can someone give me good directions to the Canadian embassy in Seoul?

And has anyone gotten pages added to their passport before? Did it cost any money and how long did it take?

Thank you.
casey's moon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard it can't be done for us Canadians. You will have to apply for a new one. I'd try to give you directions to the Canadian embassy, but I always get lost when I go there and have to ask for directions myself anyway, so I'll let someone else handle that part. Embarassed
peppermint

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked the consulate site and it doesn't say anything about gettiing pages added, but there's a map to the embassy here: http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/world/embassies/korea/map_embassy-en.asp
Badmojo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peppermint wrote:
Just checked the consulate site and it doesn't say anything about gettiing pages added, but there's a map to the embassy here: http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/world/embassies/korea/map_embassy-en.asp

Thanks for the map, Peppermint.

My passport's in the Daegu office now, but I thought getting pages added was no big deal. In fact, I thought it said somewhere in the passport that it can be done at any consular office. Can a Canadian check their passport for me?

Applying for a new one is going to set me back 80 000 won. I don't need that.

Last edited by Badmojo on Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
jajdude

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good link to how to find the place, near the City Hall station. Ask for a 48 page passport for $5 more. I had the same problem. Over a year left on passport but no blank pages. Even a single small airport stamp on a page or two, so no good to get a full-page work visa. Hassles. Beauracracy.
Badmojo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jajdude wrote:
That's a good link to how to find the place, near the City Hall station. Ask for a 48 page passport for $5 more. I had the same problem. Over a year left on passport but no blank pages. Even a single small airport stamp on a page or two, so no good to get a full-page work visa. Hassles. Beauracracy.

Hey Jajdude, do you know anything about this "guarantor". If I have one I can save 40 000 won. Who qualifies as one?

Is it that BS- someone who's a lawyer or a doctor, like you had to get when you first got the passport? I wonder if a Korean doctor will do?
jajdude

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure who can be a guarantor for a replacement passport. Someone with a "respectable" position who has known you at least 2 years? Seems like anyone could do that. Just walk up to them and say does this photo of me taken 5 days ago look like me? Yes, then please sign the back saying it looks like me becuase the people at the embassy cannot tell for sure. Too much nonsense for me.
canukteacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had my passport renewed here. It was pretty easy. I did not use a guarantor, since I don't know anyone who qualifies (doctor, lawyer, whatever............) here in Korea. I went the non-guarantor route. There are two forms to fill out, and on each form you need two references who have known you for at least 2 years. Make sure you have all of their contact information. The references on the two forms must be different. That means you need 4 references. They do not need to be Canadian, and they do not need to be in Canada. For example, I used a British friend who lives in Taiwan.

It costs a bit more to go the non-guarantor route, but not that much.

You will have your passport back in 2 weeks.

BTW the map that is on the embassy web page is not very good (rather confusing). If you come out out of exit 5 city hall take the first right....then left at the next major intersection. The embassy is in a building on the left...........there is a Starbucks in the lobby.

I am not aware that you can add pages to a passport, but you can buy a 48 pager.

Make sure you check the hours of the embassy. I went on a Friday afternoon, and technically they are not open. They did help me because I had come from a distance. Just be aware that they do not follow regular business hours. I think the hours are somewhere on the webpage.

Good luck!

CT
Badmojo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, problem number two. What if you're in between passports? My passport is full now, with the last page being my E2. Soon I have to apply for a Chinese visa, and for that I need a new passport. My problem is that I need both visas at once, so I need two passports. I need my E2 because that's my present visa, and I have to get my Chinese visa too. You can't have two passports, right? What are they going to do?
peppermint

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure they let you keep the old one. Bring the two to immigration and they'll transfer teh visa to the new one.
canukteacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you apply for your new passport they ask you if you want your expired one returned.........simply tick the yes box.

Take your new passport to immigration (I took both, just to be on the safe side), and they put the E-2 into your new passport on the spot. If you have a multiple entry, remember to have that transfered into the new passport as well. There is no charge for this.

CT
Badmojo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay thank you. Two passports at once? I never thought they'd allow that.
turtlepi1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They just cut the corner off the original passport so it can't be used.
Many people want to keep a record of their travels.

Heck, why else would I get a stamp from CUBA in my passport other than to show it to people.
Wangja

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtlepi1 wrote:

Heck, why else would I get a stamp from CUBA in my passport other than to show it to people.

For the cigars?
turtlepi1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wangja wrote:
turtlepi1 wrote:

For the cigars?

Laughing No, that's WHY I WENT to Cuba...for the cigars and mojitos.

The stamp you have to ask for on the way out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: