Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone traveled to North Korea?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derrek

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 9:24 pm    Post subject: Someone Reply with quote

Someone posted on Dave's some time ago that he did work in North Korea for 6 months. His post wasn't long, but it was quite interesting. He mentioned that when he arrived, his bags were taken from him and not returned until he left. He also said that the student papers were all topics like, "How the rest of the world could benefit from the teachings of our glorious leader..."

He also said there were no lights for the students to study by at night, other than the lights shining on the statues of the "glorious leader", so the students would congregate and read around those.

He said that he was very happy to get out of there, although it was a fascinating experience he will never forget.
Medic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 4:36 am    Post subject: Anyone traveled to north korea Reply with quote

There are a lot of multinational countries doing buisness up there on the sly. An issue of the Asian Economic News listed companies from Australia, canada,the U.S.A and England who were doing buisness up there of soughts. Apparently North Korea is not so hermetic as we are led to believe.
The students at the universites namely Kym Iil Sung University spend a great deal of their time analyzing the analects of their dear leader more than they do anything else. Now a big joke amongst the South Koreans is that the sooner we have unification the better, because there are more women in the North, but too many men in the south. Many Koreans are also worried that because of their mania for preserving the outdated myth of homogeneity, the people through intermarrying with their own kind will eventually make Korea a country of haemophilic lunatics.
Derrek

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 7:05 am    Post subject: Lots of Reply with quote

Maybe that would explain the abundance of odd fingers, tiny pinkys, and other physical abnormalties? Too much interbreeding?
ohahakehte

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: visiting North Korea Reply with quote

The Great Wall of Whiner wrote:
Believe it or not, I thought about this at one point.

But I wont, on many grounds.

I shudder to say it, but I agree with Hank Scorpio. Most of the money you spend in the Democratic People's Republic of Korea would go to weapons and food for those who need it least (the top brass).

Also from what I have read, those that go to N.K. end up being followed and not allowed to do anything off of their official travel plan (written by the hosts, not you).

this is such a silly thing to say that its not even funny. think of all the horrible regimes and horrible actions that we as white westerners support all the time - but since they aren't seen as the official Bad Guys of the Week or Bad Causes of the Day (like Kim Jong-il, who i think is a terrible man) no one cares about them.

yes, north korea has a terrible, ruthless, senseless government that abuses its own people and screws them up. the country is a human rights disaster, but theres a lot of evil in the world that people dont as quickly notice. american tax dollars go towards depleted-uranium shells that have blown the heads open of innocent palestinians, afghani's, iraqis, kosovars, etc. DU's have also spread poisonous radiation across massive areas in the middle east. american tax dollars also go towards israeli transfer payments - which israel uses in turn to build the illegal and immoral separation wall that's expropriating land and agricultural areas from palestinians. israel also uses it to finance their attack helicopters (american of course) and F-16's which drop bombs on apartment complexes in occupied palestine killing entire innocent families.

think of genetically modified foods and how thats most of what we eat. those GMO seeds are produced in a laboratory and the corporation that produced them owns them and hence most of the crop of the poor, peasant farmers in third world countries.

i could go on...

im not saying you're wrong, in fact i think you're right: the money paid for trips to north korea probably do mostly go into the governments hands and not to the starving north koreans who need it most. the situation is a little more complicated than that. of course n.korea has a horrible regime, but i think their poverty is being worsened by the ongoing american oil and financial embargo.

but its important to consider that if we're going to adopt a mindset where we choose to be ethical and boycott things we believe are wrong, it's best if we're consistent in our values. an oppressive brutal regime is an oppressive brutal regime. i dont think kim jong-il is any worse than ariel sharon, rumsfeld, paul bremer or dubya.
mithridates

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's worth it to pay some money to go visit a brutal regime if you can get back in one piece and tell others what it was like. If it's just for the sake of having a bit of travel then the money spent isn't really doing anybody any good, but if you can write a book from the experience afterwards it's definately money well spent, whether it keeps the regime in power for another few minutes or not.
Because books are powerful!
waggo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: visiting North Korea Reply with quote

The Great Wall of Whiner wrote:
Believe it or not, I thought about this at one point.

But I wont, on many grounds.

I shudder to say it, but I agree with Hank Scorpio. Most of the money you spend in the Democratic People's Republic of Korea would go to weapons and food for those who need it least (the top brass).

Also from what I have read, those that go to N.K. end up being followed and not allowed to do anything off of their official travel plan (written by the hosts, not you).

I havent visited this site that much recently Whiner but last time i heard you had accepted a job there!....I dont understand
Ilsanman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 8:08 pm    Post subject: no Reply with quote

Too much risk, and I know my *beep* government wouldn't do a damn thing if I got into trouble.
garygoodbloke

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this thread is old but I thought I should post anyway. I went to DPRK in April of 2006 for the Kim Il Sung birthday tour. I did have a moral difficulty in going but I considered other countries I have travelled, and will continue to travel too and how my visit impacts on them. I saw a documentary titled: "A state of mind" and started researching. I then found this website: www.koryogroup.com or .org I think. It was an interesting week to say the least. The most interesting thing I can say about it from my perspective is that it was far less intense than I thought it would be. No moments of grandiose parades and communist decadence to overwhelm the senses. That is not to say any of it detracts from the gavity of what is happening there. The people on the street were amazingly friendly but perfectly shy. Unfortunately I cannot see a solution that involves the place getting any better without getting worse beforehand. I don't want to imagine what that would be. Any questions, feel free to ask, I may even be able to give a photos link. I signed an agreement that I was not a journalist and that I was only a tourist, so please don't republish this irresponsibly, not that I really anticipate that to be an issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: