Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

North Korea is not pleased with new Kim Jong-un dance video

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hokie21

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:41 am    Post subject: North Korea is not pleased with new Kim Jong-un dance video Reply with quote

Asks the Chinese gov't to get rid of it.....they are unable to oblige.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/07/21/333771446/north-korea-is-not-pleased-dance-video-features-kim-jong-un
Stain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: North Korea is not pleased with new Kim Jong-un dance vi Reply with quote

Hokie21 wrote:
Asks the Chinese gov't to get rid of it.....they are unable to oblige.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/07/21/333771446/north-korea-is-not-pleased-dance-video-features-kim-jong-un

Hokie, that's great. I think they will show how angry they are by sending a letter about how angry they are.
andrewchon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt China is unable to oblige. It's more like they are NOT HAPPY with KimJU for:

1. getting cosy with lately beligerant Japan
2. putting images of panda on their military's practice targets. (2 pandas will arrive next year in South Korea, but NOT to NK. suck on that KJU)
3. having a prettier wife in Lee SulJu, compared to ShiJInPing's FongLi.

Laughing
schwa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very comical.

It was widely shown on Korean mainstream tv a couple weeks ago. My K-colleagues laughed but I sensed a little uncomfortably, not used to such ridicule of public figures.

Kudos to the guy who made it.
le-paul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schwa wrote:
Very comical.

It was widely shown on Korean mainstream tv a couple weeks ago. My K-colleagues laughed but I sensed a little uncomfortably, not used to such ridicule of public figures.

Kudos to the guy who made it.

You mean not used to ridiculing such public figures when they're Korean?

If it were a black man (for example Obama or a celebrity), Japanese man etc, they would have been rolling about the floor in stitches.
jvalmer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schwa wrote:
My K-colleagues laughed but I sensed a little uncomfortably, not used to such ridicule of public figures.

You joking? Koreans often ridicule public figures.
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvalmer wrote:
schwa wrote:
My K-colleagues laughed but I sensed a little uncomfortably, not used to such ridicule of public figures.

You joking? Koreans often ridicule public figures.

Actually Mr. schwa is more or less right.

Although there are several shows now that target politicians such as "Gag Concert" or Naneun Ggomsuda it wasn't that long ago that such humorous takes on South Korean politics were frowned on.

http://www.economist.com/node/21543200

Quote:
Though democratic for quarter of a century, South Korea's Confucian culture is top-down and deferential. Public criticism of the powerful, especially sarcasm, has abiding power to shock. Excessively strict defamation laws do not help—you can be found guilty even if you prove your criticism to be true.

And at least one comedian has been sued
http://globalvoicesonline.org/2011/11/23/korea-comedian-sued-for-making-fun-of-politician/

And from Wiki (just from the last decade or so)

Quote:
In May 2002, KISCOM shut down the anti-conscription website non-serviam on the grounds that it "denied the legitimacy" of the South Korean military.[1] The Navy of South Korea accused an activist of criminal libel when he criticized plans to build a controversial naval base in the country.[3]

The government has deleted the Twitter account of a user who cursed the president, and a judge who wrote critically about the President's Internet censorship policies was fired.[3] In 2010, the Prime Minister's Office authorized surveillance on a civilian who satirized President Lee Myung-bak.[3]

In 2007, numerous bloggers were censored and their posts deleted by police for expressing criticism of, or even support for, presidential candidates. This even lead to some bloggers being arrested by the police.[6] Subsequently in 2008, just before a new presidential election, new legislation that required all major Internet portal sites to require identity verification of their users was put into effect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_censorship_in_South_Korea
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: