Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What if I can't get a release letter?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fren Lee

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 1:57 am    Post subject: What if I can't get a release letter? Reply with quote

I'm applying for a job which will start about a month before my current contract ends six months from now. I've told the boss about it and am keeping him informed of my plans. Now my question is, what if for some reason he is a big girl's blouse and doesn't give me a letter of release? (He didn't give one to the teacher I replaced, who gave 30 days notice as stipulated in the contract.)

I think it FAIRLY unlikely that he will refuse, as everything has been going swimmingly at the hogwon for months; so if anyone is unhappy with me they are certainly hiding it. But you never know, do you.

On the old forum format there was a great thread about how to get out of a contract and be free to work again WITHOUT a letter of release. The essence was:

1) Quit your job any way you deem appropriate; if by midnight run or another way which gives you no letter of release, then

2) Inform your local immigration office that you have quit; they don't really care why. They update your file.

3) Exit Korea for a day or so, return, you get a new tourist visa, and voila, fresh job hunt with no problems.

Is this correct?
itchy

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

][[][

Last edited by itchy on Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gord

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itchy wrote:
The release letter is BS. I don't know who made that one up. It doesn't exist. You don't even have a contract really, you are just registered to a particular school and need to give proper notice to change schools.

What?

A work visa requires a sponsor. So when one first gets a work visa, the school has sponsored them. In exchange, the school dictates where the teacher can work. Same in in any country when one gets a sponsored work visa.

A letter of release is for Immigration that states the school will be removing their sponsorship of the visa. Once removed, the work visa holder has 14 days in which to find someone new to sponsor the work visa. Failing that, the visa expires and the person must leave the country.

Further, Immigration will not issue an additional work visa until the current work visa would have expired without a letter of release. Even if the original work visa was cancelled the day one received it, another will not be issued until that one would have expired without a letter of release.

One can take steps to try and ensure a school signs a letter of release, but to say one just has to leave the country to qualify for a new work visa is false information.
john

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 1:22 am    Post subject: yup Reply with quote

Quote:
Further, Immigration will not issue an additional work visa until the current work visa would have expired without a letter of release. Even if the original work visa was cancelled the day one received it, another will not be issued until that one would have expired without a letter of release.

Yes, that is true ...... I have a short time between jobs ... about a week. I had to get a LOR from my current employer before immigration would issue a new work visa for a job with a new employer.
Fren Lee

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 8:38 am    Post subject: the plot thickens Reply with quote

Thanks guys for your responses. Sorry to post same question on two forums but I think the new format sucks ... on the old format ALL EYES saw most recent postings, so you only had to worry about posting once.

Anyway Gord sounds like he knows what he's talking about somewhat more than Itchy -- and there is John to provide an actual experience; how about it Itchy, can you solidly back up what you are saying? Naturally I'd prefer to believe Itchy because his way is easier, but there you are.

So I guess the safest course is to stay on the good side of the boss and hope he gives me a LOR when I ask for one, which I will with several months' warning of course. I've already told him that I'm trying for another job here, which will start a bit before the end of my current contract, so I'm trying to deal straight with him. He deals straight with me. But naturally I don't like his having this power to screw up my chances of getting this next job, which is a uni gig and will brook absolutely no visa-related difficulties, so I'm told.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: