Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Military action won't end insurgency
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Bobster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject: Military action won't end insurgency Reply with quote

It's not just The Bobster saying it this time. Click on the title for the full article.

For the record, The Bobster has much more respect and admiration for the members of the American armed forces than he has for the bozos in Washington who ask them to solve the kinds of problems soldiers should never have been asked to solve in the first place ...

Posted on Sun, Jun. 12, 2005

Military action won't end insurgency, growing number of U.S. officers believe

BY TOM LASSETER

Knight Ridder Newspapers

BAGHDAD, Iraq - (KRT) - A growing number of senior American military officers in Iraq have concluded that there is no long-term military solution to an insurgency that has killed thousands of Iraqis and more than 1,300 U.S. troops during the past two years.

Instead, officers say, the only way to end the guerilla war is through Iraqi politics - an arena that so far has been crippled by divisions between Shiite Muslims, whose coalition dominated the January elections, and Sunni Muslims, who are a minority in Iraq but form the base of support for the insurgency.

"I think the more accurate way to approach this right now is to concede that ... this insurgency is not going to be settled, the terrorists and the terrorism in Iraq is not going to be settled, through military options or military operations," Brig. Gen. Donald Alston, the chief U.S. military spokesman in Iraq, said last week, in a comment that echoes what other senior officers say. "It's going to be settled in the political process."

Gen. George W. Casey, the top U.S. commander in Iraq, expressed similar sentiments, calling the military's efforts "the Pillsbury Doughboy idea" - pressing the insurgency in one area only causes it to rise elsewhere.

"Like in Baghdad," Casey said during an interview with two newspaper reporters, including one from Knight Ridder, last week. "We push in Baghdad - they're down to about less than a car bomb a day in Baghdad over the last week - but in north-center (Iraq) ... they've gone up," he said. "The political process will be the decisive element."

The recognition that a military solution is not in the offing has led U.S. and Iraqi officials to signal they are willing to negotiate with insurgent groups, or their intermediaries.
Joo Rip Gwa Rhhee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The US can move its forces to the Kurdish areas - that is the plan anyway.

Let the rest of Iraq deal w/ the insurgents. They can fight them much more effectively cause they can do things that the US could never get away with.

Last edited by Joo Rip Gwa Rhhee on Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:12 am; edited 1 time in total
W.T.Carl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How little you know of history. The US faced a similar problem in the Philipines. The solution was school books and "Krag 'em and bag 'em". It took a little time, but it worked.
Gopher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[deleted]

Last edited by Gopher on Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is likely. The Sunnis are a minority who had controlled the government since the 20's. Many don't want to accept minority status now, where they can only have a bit of the power. No doubt they fear being treated the way they treated the Shi'ites when they had the power. Reasonable fear.

Most of the attacks now are on Iraqi government people (cops). Most of the deaths are Shi'ite civilians.

The civil war that everyone feared has already started. Only Sunni moderates (if there are any) can stop it by making a political deal with the government and turning in the extremists. The generals are right. Will Bush listen to them? Probably not. He doesn't have a good track record in that department.
rapier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way to win in Iraq is to kill every one in sight, raze every village to the ground. and poison every well for anyone who is left behind.

You can't win a war of occupation if you don't know who the enemy really is: friend and foe look alike, speak the same language, and blend into the same crowd together. But Every Iraqi knows what a U.S soldier looks like.
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The only way to win in Iraq is to kill every one in sight, raze every village to the ground. and poison every well for anyone who is left behind.

Ah yes. The old "We had to destroy it to save it" ploy. And we all know how popular that was last time around.
Derrek

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya-ta Boy wrote:
Quote:

Ah yes. The old "We had to destroy it to save it" ploy. And we all know how popular that was last time around.

When was "the last time around?"
rapier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya-ta Boy wrote:
Quote:

If your enemy is indistinguishable from a regular civilian and both mingle together imperceptibly, obviously it makes sense to kill them all. No more Iraqis, no more problem. seems pretty obvious.
What they're doing now is like whacking a bees nest with a baseball bat, while taking your mask and protective gear off.

Its like the rhodesian security forces trying to eliminate terrorists back in the 70's. Plenty of terrorists were polite hard working cooks/ waiters for white folks by day, but ran up the hills at night to excercise their AK47's and kill a few more random women and children.
On the other hand

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If your enemy is indistinguishable from a regular civilian and both mingle together imperceptibly, obviously it makes sense to kill them all. No more Iraqis, no more problem. seems pretty obvious.
What they're doing now is like whacking a bees nest with a baseball bat, while taking your mask and protective gear off.

Essentially, Rapier, what you are saying here is that the war is unwinnable. Because killing everyone in the country constitues a pretty hollow victory, no matter how you look at it. Even if the American enterprise in Iraq is purely one of self-interest, what point is there in governing a country with no people?
The Bobster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Military action won't end insurgency Reply with quote

Gopher wrote:
The Bobster wrote:
    It's not just The Bobster saying it this time. Click on the title for the full article.

For the record, The Bobster has much more respect and admiration for the members of the American armed forces than he has for the bozos in Washington who ask them to solve the kinds of problems soldiers should never have been asked to solve in the first place ...

Dude, are you talking about yourself in the third person?

Naw, that's my evil twin and alter ego, the Bruce Wayne / Clark Kent aspect talking about me - and hey, lookit at me when I'm talkin', yeah I'm talking to YOU ... you godda prahblumwidat?

Take some good advice. Don't get obsessed with The Bobster, ain't worth your time. Rapier's about to find that out for his heresy of suggesting Tyson was a better "gladiator" than Muhommed Ali ... yeah, right, as IF.

Seriously, though, read the article and if you have something to say, go ahead and say it. Me and The Bobster, we're just this guy who teaches kindergarten at the moment because they seem to be more interesting humans than the rest of us, most of the time ... don't sweat it.

I included what looks like a disclaimer because of the frequent accusations I get of loving my country less than the so-called "Americans" around here who get the kind of thrill that makes them wet between the knees every time they hear about torture being done in our name, and I use the third person occasionally because the middle finger of my right hand gets tired of typing the letter "I" in front of words like "believe" and "think" and "feel." That's about all.

W.T.Carl
Quote:
How little you know of history. The US faced a similar problem in the Philipines. The solution was school books and "Krag 'em and bag 'em". It took a little time, but it worked.

I've been to the Phillipines, and you know what? There ain't a whole lot that works there. Model democracy to hold up to world as an example of what we can do? I think not.

If you're a Mark Twain fan the way I am, google a bit and read some of his opinions about what we were up to there. Not generally known, but he was one of our first and best anti-war writers ... helped found an organization called the Anti-Imperialist League, if memory serves.

Joo Rip Gwa Rhhee
Quote:
Let the rest of Iraq deal w/ the insurgents.

Got a better idea. Let the rest of Iraq deal with all of Iraq. We got rid of their borderlilne-anitchrist dioctator who never was a threat to us, and they can be grateful fo that or they can choose not to be - but dig it, we did our part already, and nothing that's gonna come around in the future is worth the life of even ONE more son or daughter of the Land of the Free.

If they can make it work politicallyi, all very cool, but right now even our own military is saying that military options are not going to win the day,

Declare victory and retreat, however "gay" that may sound, it's what is best for America. I love my country, so let's do what is best for her.

Derrek
Quote:
Quote:

When was "the last time around?"

'Nam, Derek ... he's talking about Viet Nam. Yeah there were one or two "last times" intervening, but that's the example most applicable.

We're only two years into this thing, but already there are massive numbers of Amercian moms and dads saying clearly : "I don't WANT my son in a uniform. Not at this particular moment. No, thank you."

And the military brass is saying much the same - this isn't going to be won with bombs and bullets, not unless we ascribe to rapier's stratagems of genocide at all costs ... finish it now.

Finish it yesterday.
Joo Rip Gwa Rhhee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Military action won't end insurgency Reply with quote

Quote:
Got a better idea. Let the rest of Iraq deal with all of Iraq. We got rid of their borderlilne-anitchrist dioctator who never was a threat to us, and they can be grateful fo that or they can choose not to be - but dig it, we did our part already, and nothing that's gonna come around in the future is worth the life of even ONE more son or daughter of the Land of the Free.

The US needs the military bases in Kurdistan , the Kurds don't mind.

Quote:
If they can make it work politicallyi, all very cool, but right now even our own military is saying that military options are not going to win the day,

There are military options that would work but not ones the US could ever get away with.

Quote:
Declare victory and retreat, however "gay" that may sound, it's what is best for America. I love my country, so let's do what is best for her.

Just as soon as their is behavior change from mideast regimes.

But the US should declare victory and move US forces away from the insurgents to Kurdistan.

By the way I still don't see how someone can be pro US and be worried th that the US is too powerful, or that any strategic gains by US actions in Iraq are ill gotten gains that must be surrendered.

[

Last edited by Joo Rip Gwa Rhhee on Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spengler says in his piece (Why Sunnis Blow Themselves Up) that the situation is a political problem. That makes sense to me. The different kinds of insurgents are blowing up people for a variety of reasons, mostly political. It's about control of a government. This article says much the same thing.

All the talk of Islam, Islam, Islam is obscuring the reality of the situation.
rok_the-boat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kill-em-all option is partly underway, except, you don't have to do anything - they are quite busy killing each other. Thesedays, the Americans are in the middle.

If you wanted it to increase some, all you would have to do is leave the country. Chaos would reign supreme. Absolute anarchy.
rapier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if Iraq was strong enough to invade and occuppy the U.S, do you think they'd spare a single infidel? No, neither do I.

Westerners confuse war with humanitarian aid.. they fight with one arm tied behind their backs, they create a hydra everywhere they go. a bit like somalia. you can't kill a few of them, then give their mates food and weapons.
Ultimately non -western countries find unity only in race and religion, and there is no other real distinction to them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: