Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No aircon+high ozone=you're dead

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mack the knife

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: No aircon+high ozone=you're dead Reply with quote

Quote:
Also reported in the studies were that mortality rates were lower in cities where air conditioning was prevalent during hot weather

http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20050616/hl_hsn/studiesconfirmozoneshealthrisks

Ten to one odds you're living in an un-airconditioned apartment or working in an unairconditioned environment. Yes? Of course yes.
SuperHero

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no and no

a/c at home in my office and every classroom.
Leslie Cheswyck

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ozone
Ozone is a gas that occurs both in the Earth's upper atmosphere and at ground level. Ozone can be "good" or "bad" for people��s health and for the environment, depending on its location in the atmosphere.

In the troposphere, the air closest to the Earth's surface, ground-level or "bad" ozone is a pollutant that is a significant health risk, especially for children with asthma. It also damages crops, trees and other vegetation. It is a main ingredient of urban smog.

The stratosphere, or "good" ozone layer extends upward from about 6 to 30 miles and protects life on Earth from the sun's harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays. This natural shield has gradually been damaged or "depleted" by man-made chemicals like chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs). Ozone depletion means more UV from the sun gets to the ground, leading to more cases of skin cancer, cataracts, and other health problems.

EPA��s Clean Air Ozone Rules target ground level ozone. On April 15, 2004, EPA fulfilled its legal obligation under the Clean Air Act to issue final designations for all areas of the country stating that they either meet or do not meet the more protective 8-hour ozone standards. EPA also issued a classification rule for nonattainment areas -- areas that do not meet the standards. The rule classifies the seriousness of the problem and indicates the required actions that areas must take.

http://www.epa.gov/cgi-bin/epaprintonly.cgi
Pyongshin Sangja

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ten to one odds you're living in an un-airconditioned apartment or working in an unairconditioned environment. Yes? Of course yes.

No, not anymore. I used to.
khyber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozone, as best as i can remember, is produced from photocopiers. Something about the heat in the machine and it's effect on O2 or something....somehow turning it into o3 through a kind of combustion of something?
That's why if you're near photocopiers in closed spaces, you can get a headache and sick and shit...all that comes from that...
crazy shit eh?
well, can anyone back me up on that one?
Manner of Speaking

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khyber wrote:
ozone, as best as i can remember, is produced from photocopiers. Something about the heat in the machine and it's effect on O2 or something....somehow turning it into o3 through a kind of combustion of something?
That's why if you're near photocopiers in closed spaces, you can get a headache and sick and *beep*...all that comes from that...
crazy *beep* eh?

I don't think ozone is produced by the heat in a phocopier, but by stray electrical discharges (however I may be wrong). Ozone is that "sharp, electricity smell" you get when you pull a plug out of an outlet and it sparks, or when you brush two wires together and they spark. Ground-level ozone, in sufficient and persistent levels, can react with living tissue and damage the lungs.
tzechuk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have aircon in every room...
Corporal

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manner of Speaking wrote:
khyber wrote:
That's why if you're near photocopiers in closed spaces, you can get a headache and sick and *beep*...all that comes from that...
crazy *beep* eh?

I don't think ozone is produced by the heat in a phocopier, but by stray electrical discharges (however I may be wrong). Ozone is that "sharp, electricity smell" you get when you pull a plug out of an outlet and it sparks, or when you brush two wires together and they spark. Ground-level ozone, in sufficient and persistent levels, can react with living tissue and damage the lungs.

Love the av MOS.
Manner of Speaking

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Cool Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: