Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vaccine question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barefootbelle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Vaccine question Reply with quote

Is it better to get vaccinated before you get to Korea or after? My husband called the health department today and they said it would cost $822 for the 2 of us to get the vaccines we needed (without the cost for malaria, the woman at the dept didn't have that figure on hand) and they listed off a slightly different list than what I got from the CDC site. So��

Is it better/safer/cheaper to get the shots in Korea or in the US?

And where do I find out definitively what I need to get?

Thanks in advance. You guys are great.
Grotto

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my hepatitis A shot for 46,000won(46$) and I cant remember what the hep B shot cost.

You dont need the Malaria shot

Hep A and B are the big ones and maybe a tetanus shot.
sheba

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can save money by getting HepA and HepB together (Twinrix) rather than separately. I went to a travel doctor and was advised to get Twinrix, Typhoid, Diptheria and Tetanus.

Ive heard its cheaper to get them here in Korea, but keep in mind some dont take effect until a few weeks after, and twinrix is a series of injections over a few weeks/months.

Besides, back home you can be sure therell be no communication difficulties etc
Grotto

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe(could be wrong) that with twinrix your first injection is for hep A and 4 weeks later you get the injection for hep B

Am I wrong?
astroboyfan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Twinrix all the injections are exactly the same so I doubt that the first is for Hep A exclusively.. as for malaria I thought it was pills and that you take them just before, during and a bit after you are in a possibly infectious area.

Trinrix cost me 168 canadian (for all three shots). I believe it is cheaper here..
Barefootbelle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I'll look into Twinrex. I have a friend who's married to an infectious diseases dr so I can ask her. I'll ask about malaria pills too. If it's on a take as needed basis, then I should be able to pick them up there when in need, right?

What about Japanese Encephalitis? That's actually the most expensive one and the CDC didn't mention it.

And Yellow Fever? The CDC didn't list that one either, but the local health department did.

Actully, looking at this list, I wonder if the local wasn't just looking at a list that said "Asia." Instead of giving me more specific info for the correct region.
astroboyfan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Japanese Encephalitis is quite expensive. I considered getting it till I heard the price... it was like 650 canadian all together..

I had these as well Typhoid, Diptheria and Tetanus (I think that is all)
blunder1983

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had 3 hep b shots before i came to korea, and I was meant to have my last one on the 4/5th of July. I missed that date... do u think i'll be protected with the 3 shots or should i repeat the course?
Grotto

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for traveling and finding out what vaccinations you actually need I highly recommend the CIA world fact book.

Just go to the CIA website and you can get up to date information about anything and everything about the country you are going to.

It is also 95% accurate....being wrong about WMD dropped their average way down Laughing
sheba

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aparently Japanese Encephalitis is only needed if you are staying in a rural area for more than a month.

Yellow fever is not required in South Korea, but there are countries that require this vaccination before you can enter the country.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: