Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how many kids in your hogwan?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many kids are in your hogwan?
0-20
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
20-50
11%
 11%  [ 3 ]
50-100
15%
 15%  [ 4 ]
100 +
73%
 73%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 26

hepopotato

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 10:20 pm    Post subject: how many kids in your hogwan? Reply with quote

Just wondering how many kids are in the hogwan that you teach at. I have a lot of kids but I work for a larger company (Little America) There are almost 200 kids here but then I met a guy last week who said he has 12 students at his place. Just curious... Cool
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bit over 700 students to teach at my school...not a hakwon, however.
Mashimaro

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we only have around 60. Read somewhere (probably on here) that you need more than a 100 to turn a profit. I get blamed for not bringing in students. The word of mouth about my magical teaching abilities is supposed to have them signing up in droves apparently (I'm the only foreign teacher) I would have thought it was our marketing guy's job to bring in students (silly me) but its a clase of blame the waygook for our business & management failings. Anyone else cop this crap?
captain kirk

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, i am the only foreign teacher and our school also has only 60 students. I didn't know over 100 is necessry to turn a profit. i've thought about asking the boss why he doesn't ask the parents to recommend the school, since we all bust our butts cosying their 'brats'. But it makes sense the parents would resist larger classes, but badmouthing the school? Whatever works for them. The parents 'run' the school, so it makes sense they'd want their hagwon tuition to go farther, buy them a nice little private class. We have a 'returnee' class in the evening, seven to nine pm. Kids who just got back from living overseas for two years. I heard that the kids would make new arrivals uncomfortable enough to leave the class. Maybe at the urgings of their parents to keep the little 'private' get-together cosy. It's a tangled web with the poor boss at the middle of it, looks like. oh well, people call him 'director', and 'sir'. That must be a huge kick, haha
Horangi Munshin

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mashimaru. Waygook teachers always get the blame, I think it's tradition or something. I must do what the boss says, then when someone complains, it's my fault. It is classic hagwon management. You have to put up with it, to a point.
Been Here Years

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have nearly 2000 students at our school! It can be bedlam at times but luckily we have great administrative support and the children are well behaved and no untoward behaviour is tolerated.
The classes are great compared to what I read on hear about children running wild.
We do also have 28 foreign teachers.
Ody1966

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the poll figures surprised me.
i expected more options in the "over 100" ranges.
hepopotato

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had thought that there would be a lot more people in the 100 + category because of the number of people in korea and how importany English is here. i suppose that when you have a hogwan on every corner, the kids are spread out a little more.
NearlyKorean

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 7:46 am    Post subject: Numbers.... Reply with quote

At my last hogwan, there was just over 1000 students. Now I teach to about 40 students in a non-hogwan enviroment.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: