Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Contract Query

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
starfish

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 4:38 am    Post subject: Contract Query Reply with quote

I am returning to Korea after a 6 month break. I am trying to be very cautious while looking for a new position, as last time I got one of the infamously 'dodgy' schools (although I spent 5 months researching to try and avoid this). I have been looking over a few contracts, and notice in one of them it states "in the event of resignation the Employee will reimburse the airfare AND recruiters fee". I'm not saying I plan to leave before the year is up, but in the event I had to, paying back the recruiters fee seems steep. Is this quite standard in contracts now?

Also, does anyone have any comments on Kids Herald, Brighten School, and English Friends School?

Many thanks
igotthisguitar

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>. Both airfare AND recruiters fee ??? Shocked Even if it IS "standard", who cares ??? DON'T go for it. Reality is, Korea's whole Hagwon system is in some pretty desperate need of "standard" reform itself. The thing that really gets me is how these crooked little Directors etc Twisted Evil do their best to control our every move & have it so foreigners are damn near literally wrapped around their finger.

Hell, after firing me, my boss told me the other day HE was the ONLY person who could bail me out of jail if for whatever unforseen reason i was detained by the authorities. According to him, not even any of my Korean friends could help me out. What a mind blower that was Shocked

Dunno what kinda leverage in negotiating you're gonna have being out of country ( likely only minimal ). Still, it's the caving into this kinda messed up and exploitative crap that i'd argue makes things worse for everyone all around.

After nearly half a year of working here i'm sure you essentially know what is fair with respect to a clear and even handed contractual agreement. Write up your own "standard" set of terms nixing these kinda bulls^&t (hey look where we gotcha now) "ball & chain" clauses Surprised
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: