Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fukuoka/Hakata???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alwynjo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Fukuoka/Hakata??? Reply with quote

Whats the difference between Fukouoka and Hakata stations?
Im travelling in Japan in late July and have been looking at the train websites and they have confused the hell out of me.

As far as I can tell Hakata is the old name for Fukuoka (please correct me if im wrong, just what i read on another site). The train line has both Hakata and Fukuoka stops.

Im travelling from Echigo Yuzawa and want to get to the ferry terminal in Fukuoka. It takes 2hrs to get from Yuzawa to the Fukuoka station....and then it takes 6hrs to get from Yuzawa to Hakata station. I am confused as I thought they would be near each other.

I need to get to the ferry terminal at Fukuoka. Which train will I need to take? And....can anyone account for the time difference between the Fukuoka and Hakata stops???

if you can help that would be great! Thanks.
Ekuboko

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alwynjo, I think you have made a mistake -- There is nooo way Yuzawa and Fukuoka are only 2hrs away from each other! - They're on opposite sides of the country!

Fukuoka and Hakata are the same place, on Kyushu island.

I was trying to think of a place 2hrs away from Yuzawa (I used to lived kind of near there).
So...I think you may be going to FUKUI, which is the neighbouring prefecture to Yuzawa, which is in Niigata prefecture.
Yuzawa is close to Tokyo by bullet train (about 1.5hrs), so it might make more sense to try and get to Fukuoka city (Hakata Station) from Tokyo (by bullet train about 5.5hrs). Anyway, if you are planning to do more than 20000yen worth of train travel, definitely get a Japan Rail Pass.
alwynjo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.hyperdia.com/cgi-english/
If you go to this site and put in EchigoYazawa in start point and then Fukuoka in destination it tells me the following:

Course Departure/Platform Arrival/Platform Total money Required time Distance Transfers
The first ECHIGOYUZAWA(12:41) FUKUOKA(15:20) �7000 2hours 39min 229.6 km 1
The second ECHIGOYUZAWA(13:41) FUKUOKA(16:39) �7000 2hours 58min 229.6 km 1
The third ECHIGOYUZAWA(14:45) FUKUOKA(17:16) �7000 2hours 31min 229.6 km 1
The fourth ECHIGOYUZAWA(12:34) FUKUOKA(20:17) �7240 7hours 43min 289.8 km 3
The fifth ECHIGOYUZAWA(12:10) FUKUOKA(20:17) �7240 8hours 07min 289.8 km 3

Also - if you type in Fukuoka in start point, and then Hakata in destination it says the following:

Course Departure/Platform Arrival/Platform Total money Required time Distance Transfers
The first FUKUOKA(12:25) HAKATA(16:51) �34130 4hours 26min 740.5 km 3
The second FUKUOKA(12:50) HAKATA(19:44) �31330 6hours 54min 891.7 km 5
The third FUKUOKA(12:50) HAKATA(19:44) 13 �18310 6hours 54min 917.9 km 2
The fourth FUKUOKA(12:50) HAKATA(19:57) 13 �19120 7hours 07min 917.9 km 2
The fifth FUKUOKA(13:46) HAKATA(20:29) �53660 6hours 43min 1318.1 km 5

Thats why I am confused. Are there two Fukuoka's????
So if I want to get to the Hakata ferry terminal, I should go to Hakata Station then?

Thanks
Ekuboko

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, by the looks of the timetable you searched out, there must be some small station or town in the Honshu part of Japan called Fukuoka.
Yes, it is confusing, as the train station in Fukuoka City, Kyushu is called Hakata Station yet the airport is Fukuoka Airport!

So yes, use Hakata as a search instead of Fukuoka. Just one note though, you can't board Nozomi bullet trains using the Rail Pass if you want to take that from Tokyo-Hakata. There are other bullet trains that go there though, just slightly slower.
just because

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alwynjo wrote:

They are in different parts of the city....
Hakata station is in the east and is the main station for the city, if going to other major destinations in japan then go to here...

Fukuoka station is run by the Kintestsu group I'm pretty sure and runs from the Mitsukoshi Department Store in Tenjin...it serves minor destinations in Kyushu...

The answer...go to hakata Station

Ekuboko wrote:
Just one note though, you can't board Nozomi bullet trains using the Rail Pass if you want to take that from Tokyo-Hakata. There are other bullet trains that go there though, just slightly slower

This is true....the one you want to get on is a HIKARI train...they go eastward from Hakata approx every 45 minutes and they only reason they are slower is the make a few more stops...go the same speed, i think it takes 20 minutes extra to get to Osaka where if you are on a Hikari you have to change to get on another Hikari for Tokyo.....only Nozuimi trains go straight through.
skookum

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Fukuoka/Hakata??? Reply with quote

alwynjo wrote:
Im travelling in Japan in late July and have been looking at the train websites and they have confused the hell out of me.

I need to get to the ferry terminal at Fukuoka. Which train will I need to take? And....can anyone account for the time difference between the Fukuoka and Hakata stops???

if you can help that would be great! Thanks.

The ferry terminal is closest to Hakata Station, though the Tenjin is not much farther if at all. When I came to Fukuoka I didn't have change for the bus so I walked to Hakata Station. Only about 45 minutes walk including time to go in a couple temples and take photos. It's 180 yen by bus, or a thousand or so by taxi. The bus will get you there in about 1/2 hour. Ask at the tourist office in Hakata station which bus to take. (I went from Tenjin myself, going back to Korea.....)
just because

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skookum wrote:
Ask at the tourist office in Hakata station which bus to take.

Bus 11,19 or 50 go between the ferry terminal and Hakata station...
They come every 7 to 10 minutes approx...
whatthefunk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hakata Station and Fukuoka station are not on the same line.

Fukuoka Station is privately owned by the Nishitetsu Group. The line is basically a commuter line going out into the country. This is not the station for you.

Hakata Station is the one that you want. It is on the JR line which will take you anywhere in Japan. To get from the Ferry Terminal to Hakata Station, take a bus. Theres a bus stop right outside the Ferry terminal and Im almost positive that the bus for Hakata Station says in nice big letters 'Hakata Station' on it. If this fails, ask somebody. Inside the ferry terminal, there are englsih speaking staff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: