Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

All You Diehards
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keepongoing

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: All You Diehards Reply with quote

when you are sick, i.e., a bad chest cold; do you still workout?????

Also, I started at a gym and each time they are having me do presses and squats????
Wangja

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: All You Diehards Reply with quote

MASH4077 wrote:

Also, I started at a gym and each time they are having me do presses and squats????

Oh yes, come rain or shine, hot or cold, hungover or no, I am there in the fitness centre 6 am every morning.

The only thing I don't like is that there is no ashtray on the running machine, so it gets very dirty.
Demonicat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each time being how often? It its every day, that's ridiculous. Many Koreans don't quite "get" weightlifting. Many of the lits they deem essential are actually incredibly hard on the body, they pay very little attention to how much weight they use- using whatever the last guy did. And frequently they do they same lifts everyday. Grrr, drives me nuts when they boss people around about what to do in they gym (I'm big enough that they do what I do...with bad form Mad ). Anyway, rant over. Mash, tell me how many days a week you want to train and i'll hook you up with a program- oh, and your goals too.

PS. Workout lightly on days when you have a cold coming on, rest on days when its full blown. http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/1996/01_96/primospa.htm
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
howie2424

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Demonicat, ignore virtually all advice you receive from any Korean health club owner/trainer.
Badmojo

Location: I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demonicat wrote:
Each time being how often? It its every day, that's ridiculous. Many Koreans don't quite "get" weightlifting. Many of the lits they deem essential are actually incredibly hard on the body, they pay very little attention to how much weight they use- using whatever the last guy did. And frequently they do they same lifts everyday. Grrr, drives me nuts when they boss people around about what to do in they gym (I'm big enough that they do what I do...with bad form Mad ). Anyway, rant over. Mash, tell me how many days a week you want to train and i'll hook you up with a program- oh, and your goals too.

PS. Workout lightly on days when you have a cold coming on, rest on days when its full blown. http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/1996/01_96/primospa.htm

Hey Demonicat, can you help me out?

I'd like to work the arms, chest, and shoulders three times a week. I need some kind of program to help me do that. Which sort of exercises should I be doing, and how often? What are the reps like? My goal is just to get stronger. I'm not necessarily looking to get huge, because I'm not going to change what I eat or start drinking protein shakes or taking pills or any of that stuff.

I plan on running two other days of the week, but I can take care of myself in that area. Then that'll leave two days a week for rest.

Can you work something out for me?
mindmetoo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: All You Diehards Reply with quote

MASH4077 wrote:

How sick? A common cold, sure, I'll still get out there and run. If I have the flu, well, forget it.
the saint

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well one of the best ways to kill a viral infection is to raise your body temperature - that's why they are often accompanied by fevers.

So, doing strenuous exercise can actually combat certain types of viral illness.

This is something my dad always swore was true and, with forty years experience in medicine and virology, I'm happy to take that advice. I always feel better afterwards.
Demonicat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Bad mojo, here you are: I'm going to assume that you that you are just beginning (if not, throw one more set onto each exercize). First thing first, as you want to get stronger and not bigger, we're going to drop the rep range to 6-8, and I want you to go all out. Make the first step about 50% of your max and add 10% every set (50/60/70/80)- i.e bench 100 first, then 120, 140, 160, and finally 180). Next I want to try to convince you to include back and leg training. Back training is mandatory if you are doing chest training (lest you end up with a strength imbalance and get the associated pulls, tears, etc.). Legs are the largest muscle group and exercising them will supercharge your bodies natural testosterone and growth hormone production. I know you like to run, so we're going to make that a 1 exercise thing- the grandaddy of them all- squats. One last thing, even though you don't want to get huge- try to increase you protein intake a bit- with all the traing that you'll be doing your body will need the extra just to repair itself. You don't need to run out and get 10 kilograms of beef or a industrial sized tub of protien powder- just take an extra helping of the protein part of your meal (or throw in some chicken, tuna, or cow's milk).
THE ROUTINE (listed as monday, wednesday, friday- adapt of course as desired, but keep at least a day in between).
if you don;t know how to do any of these exercizes go to http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm
MONDAY
Chest- Incline bench press (1 super light warmup for 15 reps) then 3(sets)8,8,6
Back- Wide Grip pull down (pull up if able) (1 SL WU X 15) then 3X 8,8,6
Chest- Flat bench 3X8,8,6
Back- Close grip pull down (pull up if able) 3X8,8,6
Chest- Flat bench Dumbell flies 3X10,10, 10 (feel the stretch on this one)
Back- Dumbell pullover 3X10,10,10

WEDNESDAY
Bicep- bicep curls (1SLWU X15) then 4X8,8,6,8
Tricep - Bench behing the back dips (body weight) 4X8,8,6,8
Bicep- Preacher curls 4X8,8,6,8
Tricep- Tricep Kickbacks 4,8,8,6,8
Bicep- Incline dumbell curls 4X8,8,6,8
Tricep- Push down 4X8,8,6,8

FRIDAY-not what you asked for, but will GREATLY improve your progress
Squats- (warmup 1X20), then 5X10,10,8,6,6
Abs-Cable crunch 3X25,25,25
Abs- Seated barbel twist (no weight, just the bar) 3X50,50,50
(The following are tune-ups, you won't get to many reps, just go to you aboslutely can do no more)
Chest-Pushups to failure
Back- Chin ups to failure
Chest- Diamond pushups to failure
Back- Wide grip pullups to failure
Chest- Widegrip pushups to failure
Back- close grip pullups to failure

WEEKEND
Rest, chill, have fun!

If this is too hard or too easy, let me know and it can be modified.

EVERYONE else- This is a very specific workout to focus on the upper body with little to no extra protein supplementation. If you would like me to help you let me know (on this thread or PM if you're shy).
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dan The Chainsawman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My all time fave Korean Gym snafu happened last week.

I was knocking out reps on the bench press, when I got up to get a drink of water. When I was waiting in line the gym trainer went and put on clamps to lock the weights onto the bar. I never use clamps when I work out, except on smaller bars for curls and stuff. Never will I use clamps on the bench. My logic being if I can't manage the weight, and I have no spotter, lean to one side and dump the weight on the ground.

Well I was benching a shade over 240 pounds, and the clamps go on. As I am coming back another fellow jumps on the bench and tries to knock out a quick set. He is promptly squished under the weight of the bar, and looked like he was not having a fun time. I had just turned away from the water dispenser, so as I ambled back watching the poor bastard flail for his life, the gym trainer barrells over and rescues him.

I walked over took the clamps off the bar, and went back to finish my last two sets. I ignored the trainer and the poor dude off to the side, though the moans got annoying for a few moments.

NEVER NEVER listen to a Korean Trainer. Even if they are ripped, take what they say with a pinch of salt. The ones at my gym regularly try to get me to stretch for 30 to 45 minutes before I work out using all kinds of stretches that tear up my shoulders. I did it once, and told them to sod off. 5 to 10 minutes max before lifting, maybe 5 to 10 more after.
Keepongoing

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: ok Reply with quote

i have a chest cold that is turning to a cough and a low fever-i dont feel like doing much today

OK I will try to ignore Mr. Trainer, I was surprised that he was asking me to exercise the same muscles again.

I will write up a program where I am doing one muscle group a week. I will do abs, chest and arms and on the other day legs, back and shoulders. Actually I want 2 days of strength training and 4 days aerobic; i will do the bike for 1/2 hour and the jogger for 1/2 hour
Badmojo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demonicat, thank you, I appreciate this. I'll add the back and squats, too, why not? More protein won't be a problem either once I'm across the water in China. I'll be eating fresh fish everyday.

I do have some questions.

1. How long should each one of these sessions take? 45 minutes? 1 hour?

2. What do you mean by go "all out"? Lift as fast as I can? I thought slower was better.

3. Make the first step about 50% of your max and add 10% every set (50/60/70/80)- i.e bench 100 first, then 120, 140, 160, and finally 180).

What does this mean exactly? For example, now I'm benching 6,6,6 at 140. I don't know what my max is, but that's what I'm doing now. Your incline bench press exercise is 8,6,6 - what should the weights be?

4. Maybe your terminology is off or maybe I'm just dumb, but I can't find the three back exercises described on Day One on your bodybuilding link.

5. Do massages help your body after you've just been lifting? Is it good for you, or does it somehow defeat the purpose of what you're trying to do? I'm asking because I like to hit the massage parlour a lot in China after I've just been working out and I don't know if that's good or not.

Thanks again.
Wrench

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I follow the rule if the sickness is above the neck its ok, but if it is below the neck then don't excercise.

I use to spend at least 2 1/2 hours at the gym. Mostly spending my time on cardio and legs. My knees are pretty bad so I need to keep my knees strong otherwise I am in a lot of pain.
Demonicat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

. How long should each one of these sessions take? 45 minutes? 1 hour?

About one hour

2. What do you mean by go "all out"? Lift as fast as I can? I thought slower was better.

Lift as heavy as you feel comfortable. Lower slowly, raise explosively (but controlled!)

3. Make the first step about 50% of your max and add 10% every set (50/60/70/80)- i.e bench 100 first, then 120, 140, 160, and finally 180).

What does this mean exactly? For example, now I'm benching 6,6,6 at 140. I don't know what my max is, but that's what I'm doing now. Your incline bench press exercise is 8,6,6 - what should the weights be?

hmm, guess on your max. Lets say, its 175 (guesstimating), then your weights would be:90,125 (70%), 160 (to failure). As we are not doing 5 sets, we cut out 2 steps to keep the intensity high.

4. Maybe your terminology is off or maybe I'm just dumb, but I can't find the three back exercises described on Day One on your bodybuilding link.

My terminology is frequently off, just because there are only a few moves with exact names. But here they are in bb.com terms:

Pulldowns=close grip/wide grip lat pull downs (cable exercise)
Dumbell pull overs= Straight-Arm Dumbbell Pullover

5. Do massages help your body after you've just been lifting? Is it good for you, or does it somehow defeat the purpose of what you're trying to do? I'm asking because I like to hit the massage parlour a lot in China after I've just been working out and I don't know if that's good or not.

Sure, why not. Jay cutler (perrineal #2 in the Mister Olympia) gets one every week.
Badmojo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demonicat, just one more question. Why do you recommend starting light then going heavy? For example, you don't say do 8,8,8 at 140 three times, you say do 70, 100, 140. What's the benefit of lifting less when you could do more?
Demonicat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should always light for many reasons:
1) It provides lubrication to the joints which helps prevent problems in the future.
2) It allows blood to flow in the area, increasing strength and output.
3) the increased blood flow also increases the maleabillity of the muscle, so as to prevent tears, pulls, and strains.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: