Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Military Covers Up Execution of Female Marines
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"We know it's the IDF"
Uh, sure- whatever.
And Jews blew up the WTC.
The Great Toad

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd prefer if I had not read this- in fact I think I am going to stop checking this forum. Killing a Marine is one thing- killing a little rough and tumble WM makes me want to suit up and go on crusade in Iraq. My fondest memories are delicately approaching female Marines who were in NCO courses with me. I sublimely mentioned perchance we could meet up, and was nonchalantly rejected like I was a fat toad. Later in the same professional NCO course I got to sing the "Baby Marine" cadence song as the scrappy little punk girl took a turn singing cadence. They were all so cute and fuzzy- like the big cats in the zoo you want to touch but will tear you to shreds...
Smee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Women are people, too, which means they can be slaughtered and butchered just like the rest of us.
Wrench

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never said I dislike or am better then Americans. Infact no where in my post does it say that. All I stated was the fact I feel absolutly no symphaty for americans in Iraq. Lets be serious if you join up to be a soldier expect that you might get killed, whining when a soldier dies makes me ill. Kind of when three Canadian soldiers were killed in Afghanistan, wah wah cry me a river. Polish soldiers were killed in iraq too but I will not shed a tear over them either.
Gopher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[deleted]

Last edited by Gopher on Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
mithridates

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a lot more subtle than the anti-Japanese sentiment here, so first of all you have to remember that it's not specifically anti-Americanism, more a superiority complex than anything else. There's no anti-Americanism in the school textbooks for example, and if you look only at them there is no problem. There is a specific lack of American history though; we learned about Canada, Europe, Japan, China, Brazil, pretty much everything except the United States and I assume that's because some 80% or so of our tv is from the US and they thought that we didn't need any more exposure, which is probably the right decision. I would have liked to have seen a bit more on specific Canada-US relations though.

The anti-Americanism comes first from being ignored as a country and not specifically from meeting actual Americans on the street who travel to the country. And since the US is the only country to border Canada there's a lot of comparing the two, so Canada is like the US plus an extra language, like the US but minus the guns and less crime, like the US but more respected around the world, like the US but better when it comes to the environment (this is a myth), that sort of thing. That's the impression you get anyway. In that way it's different than Japan-Korea, Finland-Estonia etc. because Canada is as developed as a country whereas the other smaller (populationwise) countries mentioned there are actually not as developed and know that they have to work hard to catch up, whereas Canada is just as developed.

But note that any anti-Americanism doesn't ever go as far as to turn into boycotts of American products or shows; not many people pretended that North of 60 was as good as X-Files, for example, and besides the economies are so intertwined anyway it would be impossible to boycott anything.

I do think we enjoyed seeing the fact that Chretien and Clinton were actual friends; they used to play golf together all the time and they worked together on a lot of projects, so when Bush came to office and declined to visit Canada first as is usually the case, there were a lot of hurt feelings. Bush doesn't understand that Canadians are easily pleased by just being paid attention to. Visiting a few more times, making a few jokes with the Prime Minister from time to time and mentioning the country a few more times in his speeches probably would've won the whole country over. That "are you coming with us? If you're not with us you might as well just be our enemy!" approach doesn't work with Canada, and that seemed to puzzle Bush and his advisors.
Wrench

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mithridates wrote:
It's a lot more subtle than the anti-Japanese sentiment here, so first of all you have to remember that it's not specifically anti-Americanism, more a superiority complex than anything else. There's no anti-Americanism in the school textbooks for example, and if you look only at them there is no problem. There is a specific lack of American history though; we learned about Canada, Europe, Japan, China, Brazil, pretty much everything except the United States and I assume that's because some 80% or so of our tv is from the US and they thought that we didn't need any more exposure, which is probably the right decision. I would have liked to have seen a bit more on specific Canada-US relations though.

The anti-Americanism comes first from being ignored as a country and not specifically from meeting actual Americans on the street who travel to the country. And since the US is the only country to border Canada there's a lot of comparing the two, so Canada is like the US plus an extra language, like the US but minus the guns and less crime, like the US but more respected around the world, like the US but better when it comes to the environment (this is a myth), that sort of thing. That's the impression you get anyway. In that way it's different than Japan-Korea, Finland-Estonia etc. because Canada is as developed as a country whereas the other smaller (populationwise) countries mentioned there are actually not as developed and know that they have to work hard to catch up, whereas Canada is just as developed.

But note that any anti-Americanism doesn't ever go as far as to turn into boycotts of American products or shows; not many people pretended that North of 60 was as good as X-Files, for example, and besides the economies are so intertwined anyway it would be impossible to boycott anything.

I do think we enjoyed seeing the fact that Chretien and Clinton were actual friends; they used to play golf together all the time and they worked together on a lot of projects, so when Bush came to office and declined to visit Canada first as is usually the case, there were a lot of hurt feelings. Bush doesn't understand that Canadians are easily pleased by just being paid attention to. Visiting a few more times, making a few jokes with the Prime Minister from time to time and mentioning the country a few more times in his speeches probably would've won the whole country over. That "are you coming with us? If you're not with us you might as well just be our enemy!" approach doesn't work with Canada, and that seemed to puzzle Bush and his advisors.

Good post. Although I hated Chretien.

Chretien quote "I am the President of North America"
Gopher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[deleted]

Last edited by Gopher on Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
mithridates

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is pettiness. There's no way to get rid of it but there are things people on both sides can do to reduce it. Right now your president is somewhere out in space and our leader is weak and corrupt, so I don't see anything improving until we both get some new leadership. Confused
wannago

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post, Gopher. I didn't realize things were that way in Chile.
Sleepy in Seoul

Location: Going in ever decreasing circles until I eventually disappear up my own fundament - in NZ

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gopher wrote:
Why should Canadians care how Canada compares to the U.S.? We don't have similar comparisons in the U.S., except on specific issues (healthcare, etc.), and then it's not necessarily Canada but a series of other industrialized nations, with a purpose of getting an objective take on where we are.

There is not much mention of Canada or Canadian history in U.S. history textbooks, and it's not an area that you can major in either. But that's not due to any deliberate omission. Canada is hardly the center of world events, and that's not meant to offend -- just objective truth. I'm sitting here unsure which city is the Canadian capital for example. (I did spend a week in Vancouver once, and enjoyed it very much.)

Here is your biggest problem, Gopher. As (apparently) part of the most powerful country in the world, you don't seem to understand the need to compare yourself with any country at all. Australia compares itself with America (to the surprise, I've no doubt of all Americans) - even worse, they try very hard to "be" America in the Pacific, including bullying. As the biggest country (right next to it), Canada compares itself to America at almost every opportunity. And why not? America is very similar to Canada (just with worse English and more crime). Of course a smaller country will compare and grade itself with a larger and more powerful neighbour. New Zealand does so with Australia - it does not detract from a country it merely makes it competitive (in a way) and gives a standard to which aspire. Unfortunately, the U.S. sets abysmal standards.

As a self-proclaimed world leader, the U.S. has set itself as the world leader, and it can hardly complain now when it is called to task for failing to adhere to its own standards.

i do despair though, that the only other alternative as a world leader at the moment, China, (although a good few years off yet) is a much worse alternative than the U.S.. It still does not make the U.S. perfect though, and I will never understand the need to recognise a poor alternative as "perfect" when only compared with a worse choice.
Gopher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[deleted]

Last edited by Gopher on Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gopher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[deleted]

Last edited by Gopher on Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pyongshin Sangja

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be constructive: unless you are planning on respecting Canada, stop telling people you are from there.
Gopher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[deleted]

Last edited by Gopher on Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: