Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dave's ESL Fitness Challenge (2005)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:12 am    Post subject: Dave's ESL Fitness Challenge (2005) Reply with quote

I have noticed a growing interest on this board to fitness related topics and I thought it might be time to raise this puppy from the dead.

Back in 2003 there was a fitness thread that went on FOREVER. Some people discussed, some got inspired, and some just read. There was a lot of great information in there but for some strange reason it has been deleted.

Anyways, I've decided to start it again. I've decided to start a thread that will hopefully accomplish a bit of what the original was supposed to do;

Inspire and Guide

If you are looking to "loose that tummy", than this is the place to for you. If you want to get rid of the "thunder thighs" then read/post here. If your planning to run a marathon, post here and some may join you. If you've got goals and find you're not as accountable as you were back home post here. If you want to discuss theories of receive advice, post here. BUT, if you want to troll, post it somewhere else!

This is a thread for people who want to make themselves better physically. To set some goals and maybe find others to help them, encourage them, or even join them.

I guess I'll get it rolling...

Current condition:

Well I just weighed in today and am a sad 86kgs. My body is not in the state that I want. I can still "hide" most of what I don't like with clothes, but that is getting harder. My lifestyle has changed (partly because I got married and party because of where I am living now) and I don't like the toll it's taken on my body. I used to have an 8-pack.. now it's barely 4 (I have to argue with my wife that I can see 4).

I trained intensively for about 12 years with some of the top bodybuilders in Canada and have helped numerous competitors prep for shows. I feel I have a good understanding of my body and simply need to "switch gears" and get it into motion. I did it in 2003 and in a period of 6 months was back in "decent" shape.

Goals:

Well, I'd like to get myself to 90 kgs. That is easier said than done. Right now I have lost a lot of muscle and gained my share of a tire. Basically, I can see all of the foundation that I had laid for years but if has this unsightly sag to it that I'm not fond of. I plan to "give it a lift" but increasing the amount of resistance training I am doing right now (I am limited to home workouts until oct.) and add cardio to the equation.

My diet has also been slipping. What once was decent has now morphed into a "triangle kimbob fest". I'm going to try the best i can to re-arrange my schedule to make time for proper mid-day meals. (of course this might prove to be the hardest part)

In addition, one of my main goals is to have my wife join me through a lot of this. So far she seems a willing participant and I believe that a lifestyle is easier when shared by the couple.

next?
keithinkorea

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to get more active. I used to cross country run, train karate 9 hours or so a week and do a few other sports.

I hate gyms. I dont want to be big or anything but I'd like to get a lot fitter. I'm over thirty now so if I've been drinking a little too much beer I begin to get the start of a beer gut and I don't want to end up looking like my dad in that department Laughing Lovely guy though he is.

I'm thinking about cardio more than anything. What is the best start to someone who is very lazy, likes to drink beer and chill out watching movies, reading books or listening to music to regain their former cardiovascular strength.

I'm thinking of taking up squash but a little worried that as I've been a slob for so long it might give me a friggin heartattack or something. I want to get fit and lose my winter semi beergut.

Help.
Nick Adams

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea -

I remember the 2003 fitness challenge thread. That was one of the first long threads I ever read at Dave's.

I'll be in Korea at the end of the month. I'm not into "body building" but I am trying to get toned. I mostly swim, jog, and do some weight machines. Are there any good gyms with lap pools in the Seongnam area? Or south-eastern Seoul area? I should probably start lifting free weights, but I've never done that before.

In the past year I've changed my diet quite a bit. Lots of low fat protein and fresh fruits and vegetables, plus whole grain carbs. I've completely stopped eating fast food and most junk food. I'm a tall skinny guy, so I'd like to gain ten pounds. I did gain five pounds, but now that summer is here I've lost it all again.

Got any tips for working abs? My core needs work.
joe_doufu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Egregious spelling errors sometimes make me "loose my stomach"... But today I haven't eaten yet so I didn't hurl.
blunder1983

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as CC knows I've just joined a gym. My primary goal is to loose weight, perhaps a stone/stone and a half or so (brit here Very Happy) but my long term goal is to get proper fit.

My diet is lacklustre at the moment but it's mainly cause I've not found everything I want to use in cooking so soon I'll be ok on that front. Thankfully I'm a pretty good cook and know whats healthy and whats not.

I'll be watching this thread keenly.
joe_doufu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As stated before, I want to run a marathon later this year. PM me if you're interested in joining. It's not difficult but it's about a 4-5 month training plan and it's very hard to stick to it without at least one training partner, so I need you! Any questions, post here and I'll try to answer for all.
Demonicat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weight=110.3kg (as of this morning)- though I really don't care about weight
Goal- drop my BF% from a ludicrous 16-17% down to a respectable 10% by December.
Problem- FOOD~ What to eat?!? To eat high protien, low carb, in Korea costs (in my experience) over 600.000 a month (!). I suppose I could consist of tuna and protein powder, but I'd rather not.
Experience- Golds Gym trainer for a year, I've personally been lifting for 3 years (with a one year peace corps break in the middle where I went from 120K-75K).
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
joe_doufu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stone?
Swiss James

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe_doufu wrote:
stone?

a stone is 14 pounds.

I find that I go to the gym fairly regularly for a while, until I can look in the mirror and think "Yeah that looks OK" then go back to sitting on my sofa watching DVDs with a bottle of wine for the next 3 weeks.

It's not the actual going to the gym I mind, just all the tedious exercise you're supposed to do when you get there. How do people find the motivation?
joe_doufu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swiss James wrote:
joe_doufu wrote:
stone?

a stone is 14 pounds.

pound?
joe_doufu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swiss James wrote:
It's not the actual going to the gym I mind, just all the tedious exercise you're supposed to do when you get there. How do people find the motivation?

I get bored on the cardio machines and unlike others, I just can't read a magazine when my head is bouncing up and down as I jog. I like to listen to language tapes (Pimsleur series is good as each lesson is just about 30 minutes, though expensive). In Hong Kong i joined a gym with HBO and i found myself running for extended periods of time b/c i wanted to see how the movie would end.
sparkx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been lifting fairly consistantly for about 15 years...During that time i've always set benchmarks for my weight and its interesting to look back on them.

I've been the same height since I started lifting at 15 (6'2, 188cm)

Age - 15 my goal was 160lbs (72 Kilos) Laughing
Age - 18 my goal was 175lbs (80 kiols)
Age - 21 my goal was 185lbs (84 kilos)
Age - 25 my goal was 200lbs (90 kilos)
Last year my goal was 220lbs (99 kilos)

I hit 100kilos this year and I plan on sticking to that weight (possibly 105 kilos max)....I'll try to tone up a little more and lose the handles if i can but mainly stick to my weekly routine that seems to work well for me.

I'm actually quite content these days
sparkx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swiss James wrote:
How do people find the motivation?

Just think about what Arnold said in Pumping Iron

"Can you believe how much I'm in heaven? I am like getting the feeling of cumming in the gym, i am getting the feeling of cumming at home... I am cumming day and night. It is terrific. I am in heaven."
white_shadow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it amazing how much 'former' trainers and bodybuilders are out there.

Anyways, I've always been a lean muscular type because I played a bunch of sports (wrestling kept me very lean) I stopped wrestling at 112 pounds (maybe 6% BF) and started college. For a while I was busy with school. I wasn't getting fat just out of shape. Then I started lifting weights to get back in shape. I was off on on for about a year and a half.

Then I went berzerker. I took in 300 grams of protein, had 2 hour workouts, 5 days a week. For a full year. I started the summer at 190 lbs, with 10-12% BF. I took off about a month for finals, a camping trip, and my move to SK and subsequent quest to find a decent gym with dumbbells greater than 30 kg, and more than 4 20 kg plates.

As a result I'm down to 80 kg (175 lbs) and lost a little strength. Since I can't find a source of 300 grams of good protein, I'll be cutting. I'll try to maintain my strength, by staying on an abbreviated clean-bulk program.

My goal is to get over 200 lbs at 8% or so BF. By the way I am 5'7"
Css

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im currently at 105kg, some decent muscle mass...but i wanna drop some bf..Which probably will involve me getting down to 95kg or so...

Hitting the gym every day..

hard to eat right here though :/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: