Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

F-2-1 visa

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Canuck

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 2:42 pm    Post subject: F-2-1 visa Reply with quote

So, Im going to probably get this visa this week. I have some questions for those who have it. After you get it, what is the process of getting permission to work at a hagwon? I heard that you need to go to Immigration for an interview. What kinds of things do they ask?

Also, has anyone been turned down for jobs because of the F-2-1 visa? The employer loses a lot of power over the teacher so it seems to me that they would rather hire someone with a regular E2.
GottaBeKD

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the entire process to get this visa from before marriage, to when it arrived?

Can you have a quick look at the thread I created here and answer some of my questions? Thanks in advance, I really appreciate any help you can offer me.

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/korea/viewtopic.php?t=4356&highlight=f2+f2+visa
Canuck

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get your wife to call the Immigration office. She will need to get some forms. It took my wife a day to get the forms, however due to some insane rules, we couldnt apply for this visa because her place of residence is listed as being in another province, event though we live in Seoul now. So, she now has to change the place of residence, which leads to somemore problems with things like car insurance and registration. Anyway, gonna try again this week and hopefully they dont find some other small detail that needs to be changed.

Another thing is money. Some people will tell you that you dont need money in the bank. Well, the immigration guys wanted to see 30 million won in our account. This is because, as they say, your wife will be sponsoring you, so they want to see that she can support you financially. You need a special form from the bank with your balance. A bank book is not enough. There will be a couple of other forms she will need, and you will need to also bring in proof of marriage from your embassy.
Stunted Wookie

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 6:10 pm    Post subject: money Reply with quote

I think you got hassled there Canuk....

I've never heard of the 30 mllion thing nor were my wife and I asked to show any financial statements.

My F2-1 one experience was quick and slick....after the marriage docs were ready, it was a 20 minute session at immigration.....

the only fees were for the admin, and the alien Reg. card....
Canuck

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: money Reply with quote

Stunted Wookie wrote:
I think you got hassled there Canuk....

I've never heard of the 30 mllion thing nor were my wife and I asked to show any financial statements.

My F2-1 one experience was quick and slick....after the marriage docs were ready, it was a 20 minute session at immigration.....

the only fees were for the admin, and the alien Reg. card....

Maybe I did. Oh well, at least I have the cash so its not really a big deal to me. Anyway, I should have the visa soon. No more E2 slavery for me!
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: money Reply with quote

Canuck wrote:

Maybe I did. Oh well, at least I have the cash so its not really a big deal to me. Anyway, I should have the visa soon. No more E2 slavery for me!

To work you still need to get the equivalent of E2 approval from immigration.
Canuck

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im aware of that. However I dont need a release letter to quit and I dont need to leave the country on visa runs anymore:)
Stunted Wookie

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 8:51 pm    Post subject: visa Reply with quote

Ummm. you mentioned that you should have the visa soon; how long is it taking you?
I am so amazed by the lack of similarity in the gov. departments.
My visa took 5 days as I had to wait for the Alien card to be made.
Canuck

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We went saturday, but there was a problem because my wife's address on one of her sheets is in a different part of Korea. So there was a problem with that. My wife will change her address and then go again this week to submit the paperwork. I am also shocked by the lack of procedure. Everyone seems to do things differently. Some dont need any financial statements, some have to have them. Its all bs.
stalinsdad

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't run a candy store on Korea's immigration system procedure, they couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery!!! Very Happy
Canuck

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like everything is in order. Im gonna get my visa on Tuesday. Finally:)
Perumexican

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any difference between the F-2 and the F-2-1?
Imrahil

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I understand the F-2 is just a residence visa, while the F-2-1 is a residence and work visa.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: