Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

All-you-can-eat-wings in Apgujeong
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sparkx

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VanIslander wrote:
Please! Maybe the hottest you've ever had. Have you had Texas hot, I mean, in Texas? where you have to sign a waiver of all medical responsibility. Or Buffalo wings in Buffalo? Now they are hot! Underhyped Ohio and Michigan have hot wings sports bars where your head kicks back involuntarily just from the smell! The only place in my native Canada where I've had comparably hot wings was in Windsor, a border community.

Fire-alarm or deathly hot wings should hurt the next day. That's par for the course.

When I was younger I considered myself a chicken wing connoisseur. I've spent many summers playing ball in Buffalo, Pittsburg, Texas, etc. and always indulged in suicide wings whenever there.

Maybe its just because i'm getting older or I'm resensitized (is that a word?) to that kind of spiciness, i dunno, but after eating one Krazy Korean I was across the street buying a liter bottle of banana milk to chug...never have I had that kind of reaction to suicide wings.

Maybe its what Beaver alluded to -- these famous wing cities try to retain the flavor of their wings by balancing their overall spicyness. Shwings just throws flavor out the window and makes these pure evil, agonizing little fawkers that make you wish you had an industrial paper cutter on hand to remove your tongue from your skull.
the_beaver

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still say the Beaver's Wings were the hottest, and I'll tell you why.

We used all of the basic heat sources from plenty hot sauces such as Rocket Fire and our ground pepper was tepin pepper -- that was our medium. For our hot wings we put some Blair's 4 a.m. Reserve in the mix (if I had left it unopened I could have sold it for a fortune, but I used it in the sauce). Blair's has gone up in power since then, but at the time it was the hottest available.
Zenpickle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VanIslander wrote:
chiaa wrote:
I have had the crazy Korean. They are the hottest wings on earth.

Please! Maybe the hottest you've ever had. Have you had Texas hot, I mean, in Texas? where you have to sign a waiver of all medical responsibility. Or Buffalo wings in Buffalo?

Koreans love to claim that their this or that is the "most ____" and "____-est" in the world. But they don't know what they are talking about. Don't buy into the hype.

I'll go to Schwing and try them for myself with a healthy dose of skepticism from my years of hot wings experience (as my fav food when I travelled across the U.S. on college vacations).

Now, I'm a big fan of buffalo wings and have eaten the hottest you can get in Buffalo, Texas, and Florida. I also have been known to frequently eat raw habanero peppers whole without flinching. But I tell you, the Krazy Koreans are freakin' hawt!!

Like we said, it's not tip-of-the-tongue heat. It sneaks up on you, so that after you eat a few and say, "Oh, this is nothing," it hits you ALL AT ONCE.

One thing I did last time I was there was bring a block of blue cheese, which we ate with the wings.
Cthulhu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_beaver wrote:
I still say the Beaver's Wings were the hottest, and I'll tell you why.

We used all of the basic heat sources from plenty hot sauces such as Rocket Fire and our ground pepper was tepin pepper -- that was our medium. For our hot wings we put some Blair's 4 a.m. Reserve in the mix (if I had left it unopened I could have sold it for a fortune, but I used it in the sauce). Blair's has gone up in power since then, but at the time it was the hottest available.

I thought the Blair's "a.m. series" was more for show than for actual use because it was so concentrated. How big was the pot you used?
the_beaver

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cthulhu wrote:
I thought the Blair's "a.m. series" was more for show than for actual use because it was so concentrated. How big was the pot you used?

It is supposed to be just for show -- it's really fucking hot and only a crazy person would eat it.

We were crazy.

We took a few dollops of sauce from the big supply (enough to cover an order of wings) and added 5 or 6 drops of Blair's -- in the 14 month history of Beaver's Wings only a handful of us could get through a full order unassisted. My trick was speed and I'd down 16 wings in about 3 minutes because if I stopped it was game over. Other people stretched it out over a period of time and punctuated with nachos. There were two people who could take them at a normal pace. And usually when a new person ordered them I had a shot glass set out which I could fill with cream or milk and give to them to coat their mouths.

Good times. Especially the time Marc didn't wash his hands after eating the wings and before using the urinal.
VanIslander

Location: Geoje, Hadong, Tongyeong,... now in a small coastal island town outside Gyeongsangnamdo!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A recipe for suffering:

2 lb Chicken Wings cut up Buffalo style
6 Whole sorano (imported) chili peppers
6 Whole red chili peppers
10 Whole jalapeno (or hot go-chu) peppers
2 c White wine
1 Bottle Tabasco Sauce
1/2 Bottle Worcestershire sauce
10 tb Cayenne pepper
10 tb Durkee (imported) red-hot sauce
1 tb Salt
3 tb Pepper
1/2 c Vinegar
1 Fire Extinguisher
- (Optional!)
-Don't attempt to eat with an ulcer.

In a blender, carefully puree the peppers, wine, vinegar and all spices. Caution, the fumes are deadly and wear rubber gloves or your fingers will burn! Put the puree into a bowl and marinate the wings in the bowl in the fridge for 5 days. After 5 days, carefully remove the wings and broil them until cooked. Usually approx 15 mins (+/- 5 mins). Take the marinade, put it on the stove, add 1/4 cup sugar and heat to a boil. reduce until thick. Pour over wings and re-broil for about 5 more minutes, serve with soda water for maximum heat effect but keep plenty of ice water handy.

Check your health insurance and make sure you offer some to the locals. Say "Here is what some of us eat back in my English-speaking country. Yes, many of us like hot food, and no, gimchi is not really hot, mild actually."
stvwrd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not wings-related, but the hottest anything I've ever tasted was in Des Moines, Iowa:

http://www.bigdaddysbbq.net/sauces.html

I'm originally from Kansas City, and the actual barbecue doesn't stack up to Arthur Bryant's, Gates, or Jack Stack. However, Big Daddy's is a great all around experience. Go some time when it's not gonna be crowded. so he'll come out and chat with you for a while.

The way it works is you order your food, you eat it, have a few drinks, talk, etc. The sndwiches just have a 'normal' sauce on them so no big deal. Like I said, there's much better, but not too bad for the middle of Iowa.

After you eat he brings out this little jar of sauce and all these toothpicks and explains the rating system, and which one we're sampling today. He also mentions the charity contest he runs once per year ($1,000 to enter. First one to finiish a whole sandwich covered in the hot sauce gets $10k, the rest of the money goes to charity).

Edit: it's $100 to get in, with $500 prize money. I was way off on that one.

Then he takes a toothpick, puts one little drop of sauce on the end of the toothpick, and you taste it.

Ours was called "Hot chocolate." As I pondered the taste my thought process went something like this: "This isn't so bad... huh, it really does taste like chocolate. Unexpected for barbeue sau-OH MY GOD!!!!" I cried for about ten minutes as my mouth just burned. For some reason they couldn't bring us hot water (the only thing that soothes it for some reason), so he gave us as much free half-frozen lemonade as we could chug, but it didn't help at all. Finally they were able to heat some water and I never thought that water that hot could be ingested, but it sure could, it worked quite well to neutralize the pain too. He told us later that people have gone to the hospital because of the burns on the insides of their mouths and throats from trying to drink water that's just too hot.

Interesting thing is the burning just spreads. If you lick your lips or anything, it will start hurting there too. I was amazed at how potent one little drop of the stuff was.

I have no idea how this place is legal, but it's a fun afternoon trip. I guess he has a block of time in the day after school gets out where kids get free sandwiches because he's in a poor area and doesn't think kids should go hungry.

Anyway, great little hole-in-the wall place.
shakuhachi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those sound like some damn good wings. Cant wait to get back to Korea (have to stop my mouth watering!).
Hanson

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Good times. Especially the time Marc didn't wash his hands after eating the wings and before using the urinal.

Now that, my friends, was a good laugh! My gut hurts just thinking about how hard we laughed.
Zenpickle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shakuhachi wrote:
Those sound like some damn good wings. Cant wait to get back to Korea (have to stop my mouth watering!).

Shakuhachi -- what are you doing outside of Korea? Get your butt back here this instant!
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be heading the on sunday (is it open on sundays?)
the_beaver

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:

yep
Zenpickle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:

Was there on Sunday. Left my mark.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zenpickle wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:

Was there on Sunday. Left my mark.

And THAT leaves a very bad image in my head.
Thunndarr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sh'wings is pretty good, in my opinion. I'm not sure whether they're the best wings on earth, but they're pretty good compared to other wings in Korea. I went there the first time after following a link by the Beaver, so I owe him one on that count. Tasty wings, I must say, and they will definitely soothe the craving of any but the most discriminating wing aficianado. Chili fries were pretty good also.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: