Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Screwball EPIK
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mody Ba

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 2:18 pm    Post subject: Anda Hits the Soju... Reply with quote

AH-HAH!It's the soju talking,right,Anda?Good thing you are not in Saudi,Anda.Not much soju there...
Schwa's points are very well taken.Some of the provinces are undoubtedly run better than other provinces.If all of those relatively good things happen in Schwa's province, I have no doubt he is telling the truth.BUT....that does not mean that those things pertain in ALL provinces(they don't).What EPIK really needs is standardization and a central organization to make sure conditions are more or less acceptable in all provinces,for all EPIKs.They do not have that now.The coordinator? Laughing What exactly does she coordinate?Maybe "orientation" and that is all.I have even been told that after orientation"KNUE washes its hands".How much more explicit can they get? Rolling Eyes
What we need is standardization.A good example:at the orientation in 2002,EPIKs in at least one province were given a choice of their POE.EPIKs in other provinces were TOLD where they could go( Rolling Eyes ).If they did not like the POE,they could pack up and go home.Tell me,is that fair?Is that equable?
adventureman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by adventureman on Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Mody Ba

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:21 pm    Post subject: Sure. Reply with quote

I believe you ,Adventureman.But that does not necessarily mean the other EPIks entering orientation will be as fortunate as you.That is my point.I am glad you got your choice.I still think there is a great need for standardization ,a need for some central coordination.
Good luck in orientation.Who knows?Maybe they have even improved some of the conditions there.
humanuspneumos

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:40 pm    Post subject: Calling on EPIKers Reply with quote

I don't know if there's anything on Dave's at all that would boil down the whole EPIK procedure from start to finish. However, even if there is- I don't know it would have this twist: Can anyone summarize the EPIK procedure from application to finishing a contract also with any fixed dates that are built-in. Example format:

1. Submit ________________ between ________________dates to __________.
2. Go to orientation for new EPIKers on _____________________ at__________.

I sure would love to have something like this on hand for if I or another decides to join EPIK in the future. I know EPIK likely has their own board. However, a summation from a foreigner's bird's eye-view always seems better.
Mody Ba

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 4:03 pm    Post subject: EPIK Reply with quote

Their website is www.epik.knue.ac.kr/default.htm

You can get most of the dates from that.They do follow the application dates and orientation dates on their website(if little else).The most recent application period closed June 27.The next orientation starts around August 18(or therabouts) and lasts ten days.
After ten days in "orientation",you are transported to your POE(place of employmnet),usually by a teacher or some school official of your POE.
After that,well,there are some variables(in housing,the general way you are treated,how many schools you are expected to teach at,etc).It is difficult to generalize.
The new contracts are for a full year,fifty two weeks.So you are at your POE until the contract ends.Usually some weeks before the contract ends,you are asked whether you want to renew(if they want you back).Again,the time frame,etc, on this differs from place to place.

It is a program which suffers from a lack of organization and coordination.If you are lucky(and usually it is just pure luck),and get a good placement,why,it is easy to do a year.If you get a nightmare placement(and some are true nightmares)...it is a ....nightmare.
schwa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

POE stands for Provincial Office of Education.
Mosley

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:16 am    Post subject: Anda: A few points.... Reply with quote

1. Many JETs spend only one yr. w/ the programme. In fact, 99% of JETs are limited to a MAXIMUM of 3 yrs. w/ the programme.
2. I'm not advocating a "union", per se. But a formal mechanism of unity is sorely needed for EPIKs. And if we have to fear for our jobs because we "speak out", well...the defense rests.
3. Comparing Korean education w/ Russian, Mongolian,etc., education is ridiculous! For the thousandsth time: I only advocate comparing PROGRAMMES!! In practical terms, that means EPIK should only be compared w/ Japan's JET & Hong Kong's NET.
4. Hey: where do you get that N. Korean soju??!!
Anda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:23 am    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

Jets I think last better than EPIKS. Quiet a number leave EPIK in the first six months.

Strangly enough I made a fair number of friends at the induction course but the year that I started EPIK had an intake of 440 and a number of induction courses so the chance of finding other foreigners that you could get on with was fairly good. Considering the number of hits EPIK threads get here on Dave's I'd say that not many EPIKS want to make contact with others in the program. They seem to prefer to be bystanders.

Being outspoken on EPIK I don't think is that risky. Not fitting in at your schools is where the risk is or ringing up and complaining all the time. A report goes in each month on us EPIKS in say Jeollanamdo and Kwangju that we are not shown or told about. Also a main report is handed in by your main co-teacher at the end of the contract year that has a big bearing on weather or not we are re-contracted with. All the Korean English teachers know about this report and can bring force on your co-teacher to not recomend your re-employment. So being popular with teacher workshops is more important than you might realize.

A lot of EPIKS wouldn't last with NET as the workload is big and all go. JET on the other hand requires less of you than EPIK in the main. Tiawain is supposed to have a program now but apparently it isn't much good.

Um, the North Korean Soju is apparently sold up near the border on the West coast. It's good stuff.
adventureman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How difficult has it been for you to get your co-teachers/workers to write letters of recomendation/reference for you while working in the public schools in case you decide to leave/take a different job?...

Anda, wiith the current world job market, perhaps most EPIKs will actually finish their entire contracts this year...
Anda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:07 am    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

Such references are totally useless. The thing that is of value but is a stamped record of employment for having worked as a teacher under a goverment POE where ever it is that you find yourself posted to.

Normally you have to request this form and pay a charge for its issue and also go and pick it up from your POE.

I don't think there is much chance of getting work back home. Things will also start to get tight here soon with the hogwon trade. If I have to go home I plan on going straight to the bush where I will fish and keep a small garden on the go. I can't think of of much worse than being broke living on the street in a city.
adventureman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Um Reply with quote

Anda wrote:
Such references are totally useless.

Actually a letter of recomendation would be VERY useful for graduate school, other job applications, etc. (I don't plan on doing on EPIK forever)...I don't know about you but I would like to have something to show for after a year of employment with a specific organization besides a piece of paper confirming that I worked there...
Mody Ba

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: Schwa,Anda Reply with quote

Scwha,POE is also used(and I have seen it used by EPIK itself) for Place of Employment.Yes,it is also used as an acronym for Provincial Education Office.As usual,there is a fair amount of confusion with anything connected with EPIK. Rolling Eyes
Anda's blanket statement that recommendations from one's fellow teachers,adminstrators,etc are worthless is just not true.I have used my references all over the world.The best way to do this(and usually they do not object)..is just write up the reference yourself and have them sign it.I know other EPIKs who do this,too.Maybe in some instances the references do not help.but in some they do.It is a lot easier to get them NOW,then try to write later when you need refernces.If you get somebody to sign your reference letter,try to make sure the letter is on official letterhead,with the name,address of the school,etc.
I think it is extremely amusing that we have so many self-styled EPIK "experts"...mostly people who do not even have any training in teaching or English. Laughing
Anda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:37 pm    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

I've got what you talk about but find nobody even bothers to look at them here. They are only interested in the other. It's much the same back home except if someone takes an interest in one's colouful life.

Your level with EPIK goes on time that you have worked in public schools that can be supported by those bits of paper that I talk about. If you can't come up with the bits of paper then hello level three.I however started as a level one but I don't ever want to have to go through the poo I had to go through then, again to get reconiged as a level one.

If you go elsewhere here in Asia I can bet you that provided you are applying at a pubic school or Uni that those official work record bits of paper will get more interest than referances.
adventureman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Um Reply with quote

Anda wrote:
I've got what you talk about but find nobody even bothers to look at them here. They are only interested in the other. It's much the same back home except if someone takes an interest in one's colouful life.

I disagree. I'm not exactly sure of the way things work in Korea, but I firmly believe that there are universal skills that ALL prospective employers look for, regardless of location. These include good communication skills, punctuality, flexibility, ability to work well with a team, ability to adopt one's strengths in alignment with the company, etc. These are issues that have come up in almost every job interview I have ever been in.. A well-written recommendation, along with a crafty resume and an succinct cover letter can demonstrate all of these things to the prospective employer...

Last edited by adventureman on Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mody Ba

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:00 pm    Post subject: Bits of paper... Reply with quote

Well,GOOD MORNING,Anda! Smile yeah,those bits of paper(diplomas,certs,all of that) can be very important...but some time a nice glowing reference does not hurt either,especially if you are in competition with other people who have all those little bits of papers,and the hiring person has to make a decision...Of course,with something like EPIk,it does not matter much...I agree with you on that one.With the exception.of course of all of that level stuff, on which I agree with youAnd of course,people can fairly easily fake a diploma or cert,just like they could aslo get hold of some official letterhead and fake references too.Of course,if you can write a refernce and get a coteacher,principal etc.to sign it,it CAN be a handy thing to have sometimes.I am not saying they are valuable in all situations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: