Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Screwball EPIK
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mody Ba

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 2:15 am    Post subject: Suggestion:Start Thinking of other Options Reply with quote

This is not even flaming...just serious advice...you can take it or leave it, of course.I would suggest that every individual at least start thinking of a non-EPIk option.It is a program with lots of problems...which have been ennumerated on this thread and others.If you are thinking of doing EPIK for only a year, fine.But after that,I would suggest you seriously start looking at other options,hopefully non-TESOL options.It is a program with LOTS( Rolling Eyes ) of probelms. MB
adventureman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:12 am    Post subject: more EPIK crap Reply with quote

Last edited by adventureman on Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:38 am; edited 1 time in total
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: more EPIK crap Reply with quote

adventureman wrote:
they are also also currently taking out ANOTHER deduction of 85,000 won or so a month under the name of "retirement plan", which is basically the severance pay, so this means they are basically making the EMPLOYERS pay for 50% of the severence pay. ?

No you are wrong. "retirement plan" is the pension plan. That is separate from the severance pay.
adventureman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by adventureman on Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Mosley

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Do I feel young again reading this old infamous thread! Deductions: there should be NO deductions for severance pay-you are simply to be given it after a full year of service. You should only have ONE deduction regarding pension contributions, which are mandatory. The hows & whys of getting your payments back depend on large part on your nationality. Health premiums? You kiss your contributions goodbye. Could I be mistaken? Yep. If someone can set us straight, WITH LINKS, please do. BTW: w/Japan's excellent JET Programme, all of this is spelled out in BLACK & WHITE before you even join the programme! The defense rests.
I hope this helps- I'm admittedly unsure of all the ins & outs-not my fault-EPIK is of no help in this regard. Whether that's due to incompetence or deviousness on its part is the $64,000 question.
CanEducator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:46 am    Post subject: Severance-"Retirement Pay" Reply with quote

When I completed my time with EPIK a while back, my co-teacher did refer to the severance pay as "retirement pay".
To be honest it wouldn't surprise me if your provincial office was illicitly skimming off money from your salary towards the severance pay. Things like that have happened in the past.
When will the Korean administrators learn that the best investment for the future is to run EPIK well and to treat the EPIK teachers well ? When all is said and done the Koreans hurt themselves by pulling little scams within the auspices of their own national education program.
Good luck, Adventureman.
Barking Mad Lord Snapcase

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flutieflakes wrote:
its simple, if you dont like it here, get the hell out....this isnt japan and it isnt JET....im tired of you people who have nothing better to do than *beep* and moan about every little inconvenience that comes around......again, if you dont like it, LEAVE!

With the standard of "advice" frequently seen on these forums, it's little wonder that the Midnight Run is so popular. The expats who claim to be the most disciplined are usually the ones with the least creative solutions to problems.
adventureman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by adventureman on Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:39 am; edited 1 time in total
CanEducator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:56 am    Post subject: EFL.Law Reply with quote

Contact EFL.Law and give them the information you're mentioning, Adventureman. Good luck.
Mosley

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right Aman-Mody Ba would've been a great ally & advisor for EPIKs in your province. You might go the efllaw route, but I would try this first: politely and calmly but FIRMLY insist on getting an explanation of deductions. Good luck, and keep us posted as to what develops.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: