Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

An opinion on Tunisia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 9:48 am    Post subject: An opinion on Tunisia Reply with quote

so Im presently kicking it in Sfax, one of Tunisias biggest cities (2nd biggest in the country I think).

Gotta say, this isnt the most exciting place in the world. Only passing through thankfully. Tunisia on the whole is rather dull. I think the problem is Ive been to Morocco which smells (the first similarity I noticed) and looks very similar. Tunis was a bit chaotic during the day but rather quiet at night. Sfax has been quiet the whole time. Lots of European tourists in the country, most of whom are on package tours. Only ran into 3 backpackers: 2 South Koreans and 1 Japanese dude. Strange they were Asian and not European.

Think I came at the wrong time of year. There are supposed to be some great beaches and coastal areas to visit but its too bloody cold to hang out at the beach.

Overall not bad but wouldnt go out of my way to visit.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: An opinion on Tunisia Reply with quote

Good to see you back on the board and updates as well.. Yemen will be fascinating..

bucheon bum wrote:
Gotta say, this isnt the most exciting place in the world. Only passing through thankfully. Tunisia on the whole is rather dull.

This is scarey thought, right? I mean if Tunisia isn't all that exciting or interesting.. wonder how Yemen will compare? It'll definetely be more different.. but exciting.. hmm.. regardless it'll be very interesting.

So whats between here and Yemen? Also, what situation will you find yourself in when you get to Yemen?
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well yeah, thats what Im thinking (excitement part). But I keep reminding myself there will be other students and Ill be studying and working on my arabic.

Im going to Yemen after this (1 week from today).
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't part of Star Wars filmed in Tunisia? The sandpeople part?
DarthPaul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger Beer wrote:
Wasn't part of Star Wars filmed in Tunisia? The sandpeople part?

Yes that is correct, We filmed the Tatooine scenes there. It was hot, damn hot, and Goere was a real *beep* to work for.
DarthPaul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthPaul wrote:

and Goere was a real *beep* to work for.

I didn't swear, I only said *beep*
t
w
a
t
Joo Rip Gwa Rhhee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
well yeah, thats what Im thinking (excitement part). But I keep reminding myself there will be other students and Ill be studying and working on my arabic

How did you learn the Arabic script? It seems to be a lot more difficult than Han Gul.

I bet the food is pretty good in Tunisia.
Felix the Cat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 10:10 pm    Post subject: xx Reply with quote

The Arabic script isn't really that hard, although it is more complicated than hangeul. It's not really necessary to learn it visiting Tunisia though - French is very widely spoken there. I thought Morocco was more interesting than Tunisia too - a bit wilder.

I'm really jealous about Yemen though. It should be an interesting time to visit that countyr.
rapier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bucheon bum: thanks for the interesting thread, keep us updated on your travels...
My knowledge of Tunisia is limited to having known and worked alongside 2 Tunisians in london for a while. They were pretty tough I guess, 2 guys who came to London as illegal immigrants, and fought their way into society there, at last achieving residence status.
I used to see the younger Tunisians in the clubs of London, out picking fights or pickpocketing..Their relations with westerners at work were interesting. they definitely had a low opinion of women from the off: the one ended up beating the c**p out of his Irish girlfriend. They were chefs who ultimately got fired for swearing at a group of French tourists like sh**t one night in the restaurant. I came to see that Tunisians harbor an old hatred of the French dating from colonial times.
Among the men, there seems to be a macho code of friendship and honour...fights break out readilly and they will kill eachother over a drunken misunderstanding..
But then again, i probably just associated with the London underworld a bit too much...
Keep us updated on your observations.
Apart from the tourist hotspots, do you plan on venturing further afield into the "interior" at all?
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well yesterday I hung out in Gabes, which is a dump of a city, but it was fun. ran into no tourists and people were really nice.

Now in tourist trap of Jerba. Getting out of here ASAP. Has fast internet at least. Off to the interior, maybe go check out a star wars set or two. You know those robes those dwarf sand dudes wore in the movie? Lots of Tunisian men wear them, kinda funny. Probably where george got the idea.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget to change your 'location' on your profile.. Tunisia.. and definetely 'Yemen' would look pretty fucking cool!
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

final report: Tunisia turned out to be all right. I spent the last few days just going around the country in long-distance taxis with Tunisians. Talked to lots of people, including a high number of college age gals. Certainly can't complain about that Smile. I think if my expectations had been low (as they are for Yemen), I would have enjoyed myself more at the beginning.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When will you be leaving for Yemen and for how long? Its one year? What exactly are you studying? 100% Arabic language? or a combination of something else or another?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: