Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pride and English

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sliver

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 8:57 pm    Post subject: Pride and English Reply with quote

Hello this is my first post to this board.

It took two days for approval and so the thread I wanted to reply to has become a little redundant.

I want your opinions on how PRIDE effects English aquision by Koreans.

My personal opinion is that too much pride is one of the biggest hurdles SOME Koreans have to overcome.

To much pride to go through the necessary stage of making many mistakes in practicing English so they stick to only those phrases they are well versed in.

To much pride to allow themselves to be corrected on their test papers.

To much pride so that they rather do anything than show their language deficiency.

Maybe I am bating a little. Maybe in some cases it could be argued that it is not pride but fear of ridicule. Are these the same thing?

I don't know but am interested in your opinion.

I am learning Korean and have done things because of pride, that looking back inhibited my learning progress. I have overcome that now (I think) and my Korean level has improved dramtically.

Some thoughts please.
weatherman

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your are right about the pride thing, but that is only a symptom of the whole societal condition. I beleive there are many others reasons why Koreans don't, won't, can't pick up English very well. And if you had to ask me it would be the learning strategies that they DON'T learn, and less to do with pride.
FlagWaver

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno.

I worked for a company doing conversation only. No testing, no listening drills, just conversation and scenes they picked from movies to watch and discuss.

Some of my better speakers told me they practiced reading classics and some English Lit aloud in front of a mirror every night for 30 minutes. Some of the others heard this and started doing it. I was indeed moved by their efforts.
jajdude

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mainly it is a matter of numbers I think. So few foreigners. No need to use English in Korea. But I admire those who can, well- travelled or not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: