Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NHL Lockout is over!!! Does any one care?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FUBAR

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: NHL Lockout is over!!! Does any one care? Reply with quote

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/hockey/nhl/07/13/bc.hkn.nhllockout.ap/index.html

Finally an agreement, however I doubt the league will ever recover from this. They lost their TV deal with ESPN. Alot of their fan base has become apathetic. Many of the recognizable stars are close to retirement. The days of the NHL calling themself one of the 4 major sports is over.

In one way I am happy there is hockey because I love the sport. In another way, I don't really give a shit because the game has become so misrun by management and bogged down with the neutral zone trap that the game is not anything like I remember it in the 80s and early 90s.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone care? I know I don't. But I also know plenty of hockey fans who are plenty gullible enough to continue to be bled dry by the NHL.
And that goes double for baseball and basketball.

But not football.
Grotto

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly
When the baseball strike happened they say it took them 4 years to get their fan base back....but guess what...the fans came back and paid more then they ever did before.

Whatever happened to sports being a game people played for a few years and then became salesmen or whatever?
VanIslander

Location: Geoje, Hadong, Tongyeong,... now in a small coastal island town outside Gyeongsangnamdo!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulsajo wrote:
Does anyone care? I know I don't. But I also know plenty of hockey fans who are plenty gullible enough to continue to be bled dry by the NHL.

Are you kidding? Gullible? Bled dry? Games are free on t.v. and those who pay are diehard fans with the spare cash and location to do so.

What's a true hockey fan to do? watch peewee?

Do you consider yourself a hockey fan Bulsajo? How else do you watch the game you love?

Gullible?...

the new contract limits salaries from going to absurd heights (no 10 million dollar players dogging it), is linked to team revenue (preventing the Detroits and Colorados from throwing money around to buy a championship) and shifts some funds from the richest teams to the poorest teams (to help small market teams).

It's more fair now than it's been for the last ten years (the '94 contract was a multimillion dolar superstar's paradise).

During the lockout, those of us who care got to see an exciting World Cup of Hockey last September (the Sweden-Finland game on the Internet via a free ESPN webcast was fantastic!) and the World Championships this spring (all 34 games covered on the Internet for a total package deal of under $30).

So I guess you could say I care. As will millions of Canadians (minus Bulsajo, who is now living back there and could watch games on CBC but sounds like he won't) and millions of Americans (yes, millions, though more concentrated regionally and only a small fraction nationwide), not to mention millions of Europeans (ratings of Euro leagues skyrocketed in the hockey countries, and gained strength in Germany and Austria).

Those who care can go to: www.hfboards.com where I joined last summer, as "VanIslander" of course, and have posted 2,264 times since then.

So, yeah, I care.

And I will be seeking to defend my championship title (from 03/04) in the 16-team Dave's ESL Cafe Yahoo choose-the-scorers league. Any ESL teacher present and past, in Korea and Japan, are invited to join. A thread about it will start when Yahoo opens up the free service, probably next month.
Badmojo

Location: I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This deal looks good. The salary cap will restore competitive balance, and a few franchises in America might fold. Good, get rid of them. There are too many teams. 24 is a good number, not the glut we got now. In addition, they're going to open the game up to promote more scoring and maybe use shootouts to end OT ties in the regular season. Come on, you know that's going to be good. Now all I need is my Habs to strike it rich in the lottery and bring Crosby and Cups back to Montreal. It's really our right, you know. Restore the glory to the Red and White!
igotthisguitar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>. Hey, i've got all the hockey i want on my Ps2 ... what do i care ??? Wink
just because

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I thought Canada day was a couple of weeks ago...

Wow...2 Canada Days in a month....good month for the canuks
Moldy Rutabaga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"At the end of the day everybody lost," said Wayne Gretzky, the NHL's career scoring leader and the managing partner of the Phoenix Coyotes. "We almost crippled our industry."

Yes-- probably good news for the Canucks. Not only does the game now have to be resold to a lot of Americans who never had an emotional connection to hockey, but several US expansion teams who previously could just buy victory now have limits on their salaries. It helps several small market teams.

The image of hockey has still been weakened greatly. But something had to be done. It wouldn't bother me if hockey was completely fan-paid, but it's not. When teams complain of financial difficulties, they often run to cities for tax breaks or special deals. That's public funds going to some spoiled jerks rather than to hospitals.

Ken:>
hogwonguy1979

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it'll come back Americans are suckers for their sports. I hope they contract and get out of markets like Carolina, Fla, Atlanta, Columbus, Nashville and Anaheim. 24 teams would make the product better.

Also both Bettman and Goodenow need to go, they created this mess.

Worst thing??? No more Brass Bonanza (Hartford's old fight song) on ESPN Radio every day I need to download that for my ringtone Crying or Very sad
sparkx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hogwonguy1979 wrote:
it'll come back Americans are suckers for their sports. I hope they contract and get out of markets like Carolina, Fla, Atlanta, Columbus, Nashville and Anaheim. 24 teams would make the product better.

I'm anticipating this too which is why I personally think that the lock-out will be the best thing for the game in the long-run.

I think the game will be bigger than ever in Original 6 cities but probably fold in many southern U.S cities...all the better I say.
deessell

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no
astroboyfan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course I care.. Go Flames.
Chillin' Villain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, whaddya know? I like the Flames too!

These ones!

Hahaha- Oilers fan, of course.
(I know, I know.... They suck now. But eff the Flames. Right in the ear.)
SarcasmKills

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="VanIslander"]

the new contract limits salaries from going to absurd heights (no 10 million dollar players dogging it), is linked to team revenue (preventing the Detroits and Colorados from throwing money around to buy a championship) and shifts some funds from the richest teams to the poorest teams (to help small market teams).
quote]

I sense immense jealousy with that Detroit comment.. they still drafted and made better trades than your team ever did so nyah!
Alias

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see it now. The Phoenix Coyotes have to move back to Winnipeg!

I'm really interested the entry draft on July 30th. Which team will get the #1 pick? This time around it is a "weighted lottery".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: