Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PADI OPEN WATER CERTIFICATION

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keepongoing

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 2:49 pm    Post subject: PADI OPEN WATER CERTIFICATION Reply with quote

Is there a place in Seoul where you can get or, begin the process of getting the PADI Open Water Certification? I would like to get up to the DiveMaster Level which I will do in Thailand or Malaysia but would like to get to the first level while I am still here.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send OWSI a pm on the subject [OWSI stands for Open Water Scuba Instructor]. I'm preferential to NAUI, which is non-profit but no longer as common as PADI. PADI's reputation has also improved quite a bit from when I was first certified and no longer has the stigma it once had in the early 80's.

You can do the pool and class work somewhere in Seoul I'm sure, but to complete the course you'll need to do 2 or more open water dives at some point.

Why are you shooting for divemaster, btw? It takes 60 or so logged dives; for someone who hasn't been certified for Open Water yet that's a lot.

At one time I thought of getting into the dive industry as a profession, but found the pay sucked, and having to shepherd inexperienced tourists on resort dives day in and out really took the fun out of it [this was from my room-mates at the time who were OW instructors].
mack the knife

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's a place in haebongchong (near itaewon) called "phillies" which serves, of all things, philly cheesesteak sandwiches. incidentally, they also advertise scuba lessons. i guess the owner (a foreigner) is qualified.
teachernative

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 9:26 pm    Post subject: Wait for SE Asia. Reply with quote

If you want to get up to divemaster level - it'll be much cheaper to do all the courses at the same place. Don't mess around starting it in Korea - don't bother with pool sessions - it's a waste of money. Just get to Thailand/Malaysia/Indonesia - do the confined water sessions in the ocean - you'll get more for your money - and there are some fantastic deals around for open water up to divemaster/assistant instructor level - in my last dive shop -we charged about US$1000 for this - this way you don't have a max. 60 dives when you leave - my students were clocking between 100-150, and you can spend between 3-6months doing this if you wish and hang out in se asia. It's such a fantastic thing to do - an incredible lifestyle and unlimited tropical diving!!!!

Master Instructor.
gajackson1

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TA ~

Hmmmmm . . . bellllyyy intellllestinggg.

So, talk to us in square numbers here. 3 month & 6. What costas are we looking at? That covers the courses - what about equipment? What about room & board?

Not everyone can just take off for 3 - 6 months, but a few of us are probably piqued!

Regards,

G.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: