Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When are Yanks and Limeys Going to Stop Using Fahrenheit?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billybrobby

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JongnoGuru wrote:
billybrobby wrote:
JongnoGuru wrote:
little mixed girl wrote:
they were talking about going to metric when my MOM was in school.

anyways, a very smart boy from my high school chemistry class summed it up this way:
"the only people in the US that use the metric system are drug dealers and doctors".
so true.

Only drug dealers & doctors, huh? So, what's a litre of gas cost where you live? Thought so.

So true.

and btw what the hell part of america measures gas by liters? and spells it 'litre?'

How I spell it isn't relevant to the point, which is, What percentage of Americans could tell you what they pay for fuel per metric unit? Not very high, I'd imagine. Hence, the very smart boy from high school chemistry class either doesn't get out much, or no-one but drug dealers and doctors drive cars in the U.S.A.

oh, i was confused. i thought you were disagreeing with the boy...the very smart boy from high school chemistry class either doesn't get out much, or no-one but drug dealers and doctors drive cars in the U.S.A....i'm still confused...it's like converting feet to miles...anyways, nevermind.
JongnoGuru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billybrobby wrote:
oh, i was confused.

No, I was confused. I badly misread Little Mixed Girl's post. The very smart boy from chemistry class is still a very smart boy (though I assume he's passed that class by now), and I am one dumb Guru. I read him as saying "imperial" when he rightly said "metric".
AdamH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never used farenheit, but I know what a 6'4", 220lbs man in a 427 ci Corvette that does 9 mpg looks like.
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That's the funniest post I have seen for a long time. Well done YTB.

Dear Mr/Ms Wangja & stumptown,

While I could remain silent and take credit for the humor of the post, it would be wrong. Very wrong.

In fact, there is no humor intended. Both parts (measurements and daylight savings time) are serious rationales for objecting to these ideas in my little corner of the world and accounts (in part) for the resistance to adopting the metric system.

It is familiarity with this kind of thinking that usually prevents me from commenting on Korean 'common sense' threads. "He who is without sin..." and that sort of thing.

Respectfully yours,
Ya-ta Boy

PS: Thanks for the compliment though.
little mixed girl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JongnoGuru wrote:
Only drug dealers & doctors, huh? So, what's a litre of gas cost where you live? Thought so.

hey, that guy was funny!

and we buy gas by the gallon.
right now it's $2.35 in my area for a gallon of gas. the car holds 18 gallons.

Quote:
I read him as saying "imperial" when he rightly said "metric".

Wink
Wangja

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya-ta Boy wrote:
Quote:
That's the funniest post I have seen for a long time. Well done YTB.

Dear Mr/Ms Wangja & stumptown,

While I could remain silent and take credit for the humor of the post, it would be wrong. Very wrong.

In fact, there is no humor intended. Both parts (measurements and daylight savings time) are serious rationales for objecting to these ideas in my little corner of the world and accounts (in part) for the resistance to adopting the metric system.

It is familiarity with this kind of thinking that usually prevents me from commenting on Korean 'common sense' threads. "He who is without sin..." and that sort of thing.

Respectfully yours,
Ya-ta Boy

PS: Thanks for the compliment though.

Dear YTB

Wangja is already masculine, but Mr Wangja will do nicely.

Now, the metric system was introduced in France in the 1790's or thereabouts. By then, Marx and Engels, the co-founders of communism, had not rolled the eyes of their fathers.

Daylight saving time is a msinomer if ever there were one as additional daylight cannot be created, merely centred around noon. It was, I believe, introduced during the First World War (1914-1918) in UK (along with reduced opening hours for pubs) as a means to better balance the working day and maximise production.

I fail to see any connection with communism.

But if the folks in your part of the world think otherwise, then I am sure they are right in their minds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: