Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airport Terminal at COEX
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:52 pm    Post subject: Airport Terminal at COEX Reply with quote

Has anyone used the airport check in terminal at COEX? I heard I can check in my bags there, then take a bus to Incheon. I also heard I get a discount on the airport tax. Has anyone done this at either COEX or the express bus terminal? How many hours before my flight should I go? 4?

Here is a website: www.kcat.co.kr (It has English), but I would like to hear info from those who know, especially about how long it takes.

Last edited by kangnamdragon on Sun Dec 07, 2003 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too would be very interested to know about this one as I'm leaving next month.
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it about 5 years ago.

Yup you check your luggage. You pay a set fee for airport tax/bus...works out almost the same as the airport tax fee at Inchon. (Could have changed...back then there was no Incheon, it was to Kimpo)

It is pretty convienent IMO. You still have to get your carry on luggage and yourself checked through security at the airport, but at least you should have your ticket/boarding pass already done.
Swiss James

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foreigners don't pay the airport tax any more. Never used the city terminal before though
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done it many times.
It was fantastic to beat the crowds at Kimpo.
These days I guess the major benefit is not having to haul your bags as far to the check-in, but I suppose that's only an advantage if the KCAT is easier to get to than Incheon Airport from where you're at.
Cheaper bus service than the limo buses and yes you get a discount on airport tax, but if Swiss James is correct that's no longer a factor.
schwa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They hid the airport tax in the ticket price -- you still pay it.
jaebea

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this service is at COEX? It'd save me a bundle of hassles that's for sure.

Thanks for the heads up.

jae.
dogbert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaebea wrote:
Wow, this service is at COEX? It'd save me a bundle of hassles that's for sure.

Thanks for the heads up.

jae.

It's also at the Express Bus Terminal/Central City, but only for KAL and Asiana. Not sure if it is limited by carriers at COEX.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is limited to certain carriers at COEX too but I'm pretty sure it's more than just KAL and Asiana, but if anyone really wants to know they can check here:
http://www.kcat.co.kr/English/index.htm
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH $^@%@&%&! I am flying United and they don't have check-in there. Can I still use the bus to go to the airport and check in after I get to the airport? What a hassle!!!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, anyone can buy a bus ticket to the airport and they have plenty of room for luggage. However to get the tax discount and to clear immigration at Coex I believe you need to show a boarding pass which you can only get from check-in. At least I think that's how it works- it's been a while. Check the website- they've got nifty flow-charts showing the process.
panthermodern

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Has anyone used the airport check in terminal at COEX? I heard I can check in my bags there, then take a bus to Incheon. I also heard I get a discount on the airport tax. Has anyone done this at either COEX or the express bus terminal? How many hours before my flight should I go? 4?

Has anyone used the airport check in terminal at COEX?: Yes I have may times.

I heard I can check in my bags there: Yes you can and get your bording pass and clear immigration but only for Korean Air and Asian and/or Star Alliance member flights that have shared flights with KAL or Asian.

then take a bus to Incheon: Yup, one hour / one way.

Has anyone done this at either COEX or the express bus terminal? Both. You can only check bags and get your boarding pass at COEX.

I also heard I get a discount on the airport tax: Used to, airprot tax is now paid for by airline (now part of ticket price) BUT this was true about 2 years ago.

How many hours before my flight should I go: I would say at COEX +3 hours, you could do two but ... security ...

CYA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dogbert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

panthermodern wrote:
Has anyone done this at either COEX or the express bus terminal? Both. You can only check bags and get your boarding pass at COEX.

You can check your luggage at the Express Bus Terminal facility as well.
peppergirl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to check in your luggage, you have to do it min 3 hours before your flight, otherwise they won't do it. If you get your passport stamped there at immigration, you get a reduction when you buy the bus ticket. It's a reduction off the airport tax, but you only get it when you buy the bus ticket. In Incheon you don't have to wait in the normal line for immigration, you just go to the line for airline personnel.
Done it many times, very convenient, except that you have to be really early. But you don't have to worry about your luggage anymore, which is nice.
Sarah-in-Korea

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I've been trying to find some particular info about KCAT but their website is pretty minimal and doesn't tell me much.

Does anyone know if it's possible to check in SOME luggage the day before your flight? I am gunning for a luggage allowance extension to 30kg when I go back home to live and doubt that I'll be able to actually carry it all to the required bus stop. I was hoping I could check in one big bag the day before.

Any ideas on if this is possible?

Thanks y'all
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: